Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've owned my SRT for 2 weeks and I am hooked. I'm watching Hot Rod's show on Netflix (episode 1) and they are talking about autocross, and evaluating tires for it. I didn't know that autocross was a single car competition race against the clock. Actually I watched one at West World but it didn't click. It was frickin cool to watch. Anyways, I'd love to know more about the sport. My car will be basically stock with a couple upgrades. I'll probably get sticky tires with an extra rim set. Any info would be appreciated! I live in Phoenix and they probably have this at the old Firebird Raceway. I don't care so much about winning, I just want to tear it up and not get tickets!

And attached are the results for the autocross tire test.

Attachments

·
Registered
Dodge Challenger RT
1,066 Posts
I have always been into drag racing but since adding some better rubber and lowering it a bit, I have had more of an itch to road race. I think the autocross stuff also looks cool and I can't help but wonder if the awd GT would be a good candidate for that? I don't want to hijack your thread but I'm curious and I want to follow the responses from those who do this stuff.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I've done autocross in my Hellcat a few times. It's a lot of fun, but difficult in such a big heavy car. I think an excellent driver could be competitive with decent tires, but it doesn't come easy. I changed from my factory Pirelli all seasons to the Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 summer tires. I thought they would help, but the improvement has only been marginal.

·
Vendor
12,274 Posts

·
Vendor
12,274 Posts
from Optima last year in Charlotte

from earlier this year with Highland club

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I'll second what Luke said, been doing it almost 2 years now in my SP and am sliding down that slope. My suggestion is the same path I took. ....start off getting yourself a different set of wheels and some good 200tw tires. Tire of choice right now is the Bridgestone RE71R. The bigger you can stuff under it the better. Second go get yourself a performance alignment, they cant adjust the camber but they can tweak the toe to give you some better handling. Then go run a season or half season and see what you think.

If you go in with the correct expectations you'll have a blast. As others have said our girls are big boned but they do handle fairly well once you get the hang of slinging them around.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Registered
537 Posts
We have a series called Time Attack in our area. It's a lot of fun. The courses tend to be a little bigger and less technical, so I think they are better suited for our cars. Plus unlike some of the SCCA stuff you don't have to work the course. Just pick the right class and do your runs.

·
Registered
410 Posts
STP baby. Put some strut braces on. I found it helps. You'll be slow as shit compared to a 95' Saturn with a good driver. Very easy to loose traction in this car.

·
Registered
Furious Fuchsia 2010 Challenger R/T Classic A5
371 Posts
Tires are the single best upgrade besides seat time. 300+ tread wear summer tires will squeal constantly as you so easily reach their limits and break traction sliding and spinning out .

The Bridgestone Potenza RE71R and BF Goodrich Rival S are the top dogs for a minimum 200 TW tire. For an R-compound under 200 TW there is Purple Crack - the Hoosier A7. Only the RE71R has options that are XL load rated which I consider somewhat important with 4000+ pound machines. We ain't no 2200lb Miata or 3200lb Corvette.

I run a square setup of 245/45R18 RE71Rs on my 18x8" Boss 338 winter wheels and they're still good after 9 events (so ~54 runs averaging 45 seconds). I want wider rubber but options are EXTREMELY limited for 20" wheels - you have to find aftermarket 19" or 18" options at least 9" wide for best selection.

As mentioned, a good alignment helps. Buy your own Snell 2015 helmet and a good tire pressure gauge (Tanner, Intercomp, Longacre...). Once you're hooked, I'd probably get adjustable swaybars (like Petty's Garage or Progress) to reduce body roll and is one way to help dial in/out any over-/understeer.

You can definitely find at lot of events on MotorSportReg not only from the Solo programs of various SCCA regions but other organizations as well. There are local sports car clubs, Porsche & BMW club events (they usually don't mind non-marque participants), NASA-X, GoodGuys, local race track events and more. My last event was 2+ hours away in a different SCCA region but I went for my first airport event. The traction on concrete over asphalt was noticeable and you can't complain about 25% longer runs!

I'm not that competitive but I've learned a lot about car control and always have a blast finishing my runs with a smile plastered to my face. I keep my A5 in autostick and after it shifts into 2nd it usually stays there (sometimes I kick it back down if a sharp corner drops my speed below 20mph). Oh, and traction nannies full off unless it's wet then only half off.

Just go do it! Keep your runs clean and always try to improve over your last. Have fun!

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts