Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dodge experts,
I've looked online and was surprised to find how much trouble the timing chains seem to be causing on the 5.7 Hemi Challengers!

I was the first owner of a 2010 5.7L Hemi Challenger and performed full synthetic oil and filter changes at every 5K. Now that I've reached approx 100K, the engine shut off while I was driving at highway speed and would not start again. After towing it to the dealership, I was told the timing chain let go and that the engine cylinder heads, push rods etc... have all been damaged.

I've lost confidence in this engine, especially when I saw that I'm not the first one who has had this failure. The dealership tells me the cylinder heads are on backorder right now. They also told me that they have another 5.7L Hemi challenger in the shop with 80K and the exact same problem (for the second time on that engine). I'm not crazy about the idea of the mechanics at the dealership rebuilding the top end of this engine and am considering all my options. Are the 5.7L Hemi engines in the dodge trucks designed differently? Are they more reliable?

What kind of crate or remanufactured engines could I put in this car? What kind of challenges have you had dropping a new engine into this car?

I'm new to the forum and I'm hoping you guys will share some of your experience with me. I'm also wondering about whether you guys have made any progress with Chrysler. I can't believe that Chrysler would put such an unreliable engine into the market. Losing the engine at highway speed is very dangerous.

Thanks for reading!

·
Premium Member
N/A
1,814 Posts
Welcome to CT from Michigan, search Timing chain failure on the top left of the page, it has alot of info there. Good luck

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Welcome to ChallengerTalk, sorry to see your first post being of the infamous timing chain failure. As 1970FJ6T/A mentioned, you will be able to find all the information regarding the failure there.

By 100k and 80k you mean KM or miles?

It seems that the late model 2012's and supposedly all 2013+ have updated parts which have no reported failures as far as I know.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got approx. 100,000 KM on the car, and have been working my way through this very long thread. It looks like the automatic transmissions are mentioned more often than manual transmissions.

Thanks for the tip about the newer engines. Have these engines been redesigned to avoid this failure, or are they just still too new for drivers to hit high mileage? At this point, I haven't worked my way through all of the posts and I still don't really understand the reason why the timing chain slipped and why the new engines will work better.

Have any of the folks on the forum had any success putting new or remanufactured engines into their challengers?

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I've got approx. 100,000 KM on the car, and have been working my way through this very long thread. It looks like the automatic transmissions are mentioned more often than manual transmissions.

Thanks for the tip about the newer engines. Have these engines been redesigned to avoid this failure, or are they just still too new for drivers to hit high mileage? At this point, I haven't worked my way through all of the posts and I still don't really understand the reason why the timing chain slipped and why the new engines will work better.

Have any of the folks on the forum had any success putting new or remanufactured engines into their challengers?
There have been no reported failures on Manual R/Ts (because they do not have the MSD system which runs the car on 4 cylinders only-ECO Mode),SE's/SXT's or SRT's (Manual nor automatic).

The updated parts are the timing chain. It seems that late model 2012's and '13+ have the newer timing chain components. These cars have stronger, redesigned components which have shown no failures yet. If your car is going to be fixed it would most probably have the newer parts as these have different part numbers and replace the older parts. Be sure to check whether the updated parts have been installed just in case.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Be sure to look into the timing chain thread, everything you'll need to know is mentioned over there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the insight!
Based on your knowledge, is it safe to use the ECO mode with the new parts, or should I be running it in 8 cylinder manual mode once it is back on the road?

I asked for an estimate of the price to repair my engine and to drop a new or remanufactured engine in. If I did go with a remanufactured engine, I will make sure it has the new timing chain and tensioner installed.

Thank you very much for the help.

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Thanks for the insight!
Based on your knowledge, is it safe to use the ECO mode with the new parts, or should I be running it in 8 cylinder manual mode once it is back on the road?

I asked for an estimate of the price to repair my engine and to drop a new or remanufactured engine in. If I did go with a remanufactured engine, I will make sure it has the new timing chain and tensioner installed.

Thank you very much for the help.
As I mentioned, there have been no reported failures on cars with the updated parts. Nothing is for sure tbh. Here's what I think, Dodge went into alot of Research and Development before updating the parts on '12+ cars, I don't think they are going to take the risk again by using weak components. I also think that the updated parts will last much longer than the older parts that were first used due to the stronger material used (aluminium and plastic instead of only plastic on the shoe guide as far as I know)

You can always disable the MSD by using a tuner. The second option is driving the car in AutoStick all the time.

Good luck.

Special thanks to the members raVenX, DesertBum, John1953ned, Hall H and the others (sorry if I missed someone out) for keeping that thread active. It has been helpful to me and to everyone else who is concerned with the timing chain issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the insight and thanks to all of you for keeping this thread alive. It has been a big help, and I will post how this develops for my car.

·
Registered
2014 SRT Core
9,019 Posts
Welcome to the forum. There are lots of options out there if you want to replace your motor, from standard rebuild to big displacement stroker motors. Do a search on this site and check with some of the vendors for pricing.

·
Registered
9,296 Posts
There have been no reported failures on Manual R/Ts (because they do not have the MSD system which runs the car on 4 cylinders only-ECO Mode),SE's/SXT's or SRT's (Manual nor automatic).

The updated parts are the timing chain. It seems that late model 2012's and '13+ have the newer timing chain components. These cars have stronger, redesigned components which have shown no failures yet. If your car is going to be fixed it would most probably have the newer parts as these have different part numbers and replace the older parts. Be sure to check whether the updated parts have been installed just in case.
Now's the time to MAKE SURE that the updated parts are installed. You don't want any "old inventory".......?

All updated part numbers are in my sig

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
Now's the time to MAKE SURE that the updated parts are installed. You don't want any "old inventory".......?

All updated part numbers are in my sig
John, I just realized that I mis-spelled your name on my earlier post. Sorry about that!

·
Administrator
17,155 Posts
Welcome aboard! :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I've got a lead on a low-mileage engine with matching codes (only 6,800 KM) that I think I would like to put in the car. I will make sure the 'new' timing chain parts go on the engine before it goes in the car. I will also get the tuner to disable MDS permanently!

I will post how this goes and share any trouble I have.

Thanks again for all the help and advice!

·
Registered
2,674 Posts
I've got a lead on a low-mileage engine with matching codes (only 6,800 KM) that I think I would like to put in the car. I will make sure the 'new' timing chain parts go on the engine before it goes in the car. I will also get the tuner to disable MDS permanently!

I will post how this goes and share any trouble I have.

Thanks again for all the help and advice!
You wouldn't need to fit the new parts if you are going to disable MDS with a tuner anyway. I would settle only for disabling MDS with the tuner if I were you. Unless the engine is under warranty then I'd only change parts without adding a tuner to the equation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts