Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My last 4 cars have all been manuals so i dont know a whole lot about automatic transmissions. Here is my question: When letting off the throttle and then almost immediately getting back on it, is the rear end of the car supposed to make a "thunk" sound that can also be felt? I mostly notice it in city driving (slow down, speed up, get the hell out of my way type stuff). Sport mode it is more pronounced, but normal mode its there too.

Z

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
You sure it is the the drivetrain and not the active exhaust valves?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It isn't the exhaust, it is a noticeable sound/feel that is instantaneous with hitting the throttle just after letting off. A friend thinks it might be U-joint related.

Z

·
Premium Member
2,994 Posts
I have owned/driven many automatic transmission vehicles over the years new and used and it not uncommon to get the clunk you are describing when getting off the gas then right back on it at low speeds. This is especially true if the transmission is downshifting just as you get back on it. It seems more prevalent with the newer many speed autos. I never noticed it with GM 400s (3 speed). Subconsciously I avoid the situation from years of experience but every now and then it occurs. My 2011 GMC truck it feels like someone has hit the rear of the truck as times. All that said I have not experienced it in the Hellcat.

I would certainly have it checked out to be safe especially if you are still under warranty.

·
Registered
14,289 Posts
There's gonna be some clunking with a two piece driveshaft and independent rear suspension with half shafts, just a lot of parts to get a little play in and it adds up to a little clunk. Oh and no u-joints on Challenger any more, there all CV joints.

Wouldn't hurt to get it checked out but probably normal.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts