Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read where other A5's can squeal the tires into second gear and until tonight I thought, BS! Well I took a buddy for a ride after installing the Pypes exhaust a couple weeks ago, anyway there is an on ramp onto the highway close to the house that I like to open it up on and the 1 to 2 shift broke the tires loose! I realize this is kinda childish and no big deal but the car has not shifted we'll into second at all so I was shocked when it did it? With 1400 miles on the clock I'm wondering if the TCM is still learning? I know the first few times I got on it full throttle I let up on the pedal because I thought it was revving too high, and the last couple times I have left my foot in it? I have been researching valve bodies, TCM's etc to fix the lazy 1-2 shift, now it seems ok? The corrected altitude is well over 6,000 ft above sea level even this time of year, so I don't expect sea level power but it sure felt good tonight!

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I have read where other A5's can squeal the tires into second gear and until tonight I thought, BS! Well I took a buddy for a ride after installing the Pypes exhaust a couple weeks ago, anyway there is an on ramp onto the highway close to the house that I like to open it up on and the 1 to 2 shift broke the tires loose! I realize this is kinda childish and no big deal but the car has not shifted we'll into second at all so I was shocked when it did it? With 1400 miles on the clock I'm wondering if the TCM is still learning? I know the first few times I got on it full throttle I let up on the pedal because I thought it was revving too high, and the last couple times I have left my foot in it? I have been researching valve bodies, TCM's etc to fix the lazy 1-2 shift, now it seems ok? The corrected altitude is well over 6,000 ft above sea level even this time of year, so I don't expect sea level power but it sure felt good tonight!
Dude, if you can't get your SRT A5 to break loose in 2nd easily - theres something wrong with either the driver or the car. Especially since I can do it fairly easily in my RT A5. Hell, sometimes if i'm lucky I can even get a chirp out of 3rd.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The nanny won't let my A5 bark second...falls on it's face at WOT shifts most of the time. Getting a B&G ECU soon and that will solve that.

·
Premium Member
968 Posts
Turn it (ESP) off.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 -2 shift

All comments are welcome, even the driver one,lol. Challenger69 I was right there willing to spend whatever to make it shift solid! I thought about taking the car into the dealership, but I test drove a new SRT and it did the same thing, then a friend bought a new one and called me asking why it lagged on the 1-2 shift? I wish I could I say I did something to fix it? Now I need some Drag Radials and Bandimere to open.

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ESP off, and 5,000 miles

I had the ESP full off, thanks for the reminder though. 5,000 miles, that will take awhile but it seems to be running better all the time, I'd love to drive it at sea level!

·
Premium Member
264 Posts
I had the ESP full off, thanks for the reminder though. 5,000 miles, that will take awhile but it seems to be running better all the time, I'd love to drive it at sea level!
I missed the part about you being above sea level - my bad.

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
works easier as your tires get bald

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Road trip

Its Awesome! :bigthumb: road trip!!!!
Were actually thinking about the SRT experience in Willows or Fontana later in the year, so maybe I can drive some at sea level? We did the SRT experience in Vegas in 2010 and that's what got me thinking about the 392.
Dadstoy, that's funny and maybe true?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Looks to me you're in the Denver area like me. Even though the weather is finally starting to warm up after a couple of week dip into arctic temps (-10 and below for several days) we are finally starting to be able to take the challengers and harleys out for a spin. If you're still wearing the F1s like I am they aren't going to have anything to do with the cold pavement and will break loose in a heartbeat. Mine drove like a zamboni yesterday, slow and easy had to do it. Let the pavement warm up some before letting her rip. Springtime is coming!

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Denver

Slash 392 have you checked out the Colorado Challenger Club?
No I have the RSA'2 on this one, but your still right.
It's 50 degrees and sunny, think I will take a small cruise around the block.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Great idea, I think I'll go tank up and run around the block while they try to get the race going again. Looks like it's going to be a prime time Daytona 500. I'll check out the club, thaks for the heads up.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Seems like with the more miles you've got on it, the better things break in and learn your style.. I have my foot in mine all the time, I have been through 1 set of rear tires already in less than 5K miles.. Plus trips to bandimere, douglas, etc..

Mine will blow them off at will first clear into second until it hits third.. This is with the new tires on it and always in manual mode (its the auto) and traction control off..

:)

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Auto 1-2 shift

AZZKIKR your car runs great, maybe it's the color! The end of April or early May Ill get it up to Bandimere and see if it's as quick as it feels while the DA is still pretty good. I'll look for you there.

·
Registered
336 Posts
I did a second wheel tire slide with 3 of us in the car today, co-worker in the back seat was all "did we just burn out?". hahhahaha why yes we did son!

·
Registered
170 Posts
AZZKIKR your car runs great, maybe it's the color! The end of April or early May Ill get it up to Bandimere and see if it's as quick as it feels while the DA is still pretty good. I'll look for you there.
Make it to any of the opening test sessions yet? Think street machine showdown is even this weekend.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts