Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Challenger SE V-6. At times when I slow down to merge into traffic and get back into the gas it acts as if there is slack in the rear axle or that it goes from 1st gear to 4th gear. Is anyone having similar issues? I would appreciate any help, suggestions.

·
Premium Member
2,397 Posts
I think I know your pain. I had a 2009 SE too. I think the problem is the 4 speed automatic. I would merge into traffic and pick up speed, then feel the bog when it shifted. It was almost like you needed to nail the gas again to get it to downshift.

I have a 2013 SXT now, and haven't felt that nearly as bad, so I'm guessing it was the switch from the 4 to a 5 speed transmission.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I can't tell if it's the transmission, or the rear, but my 14 v6 def gets confused and doesn't know what gear it should be in often. sometimes it's accompanied by a nice hard thud that shivers my spine every time.

best of luck bud

·
Registered
131 Posts
just had my 12 sxt at the dealer for a similar issue they updated the tcm and the pcm mine is a nag1 5 speed auto,don't know if it would work for yours

·
Registered
7,683 Posts
You got to really whomp that gas pedal to get back into the acceleration mode you were in previously (as described in your scenario). Not only are you shooting to trigger a downshift, but also to get the torque convertor clutch to deactivate. Sometimes the TCC doesn't disengage soon enough, and then you get a kick in the seat of your pants as the transmission hits the lower gear at load...that's the "real" indicator for how crisp the A5 does shifts w/o the cushion of the fluid coupling in-effect. Now you know what the SMT and DSG guys complain about, when they experience a hard shift during less than balls-out use in their cars. ;)

An alternative to whomping the gas pedal (cuz I would agree that does yield pretty radical results), is to be more aware of that autostick control at your right hand That's why they put it there...so you can use it. It is the ideal control to tell the car exactly what you want, when you want (though, I'm told it does work a little differently in the SE/SXT models). You know it has gone to the upper gears once you released the gas and slowed down to merge with traffic ahead. Then when you need the power again, you double-click left to drop 2 gears from wherever it was at, and apply moderate gas. That ought to give you the burst of power you wanted. If you need something a bit less, then just do a single-click instead of double-click.

Then when all is back to normal cruising, hold-click to the right to return it to D mode.

·
Registered
90 Posts
weird, can't tell if it's a feeling like another car tapped my rear, thus jolting me fwd a bit, or if it's the gearbox.

gearbox or rear end ....

been doing a lot of driving lately, and its been happening a lot. it's kind of embarrassing really, with the slight exhaust note of the car, it must really sound like an amateur trying to use autostick, when really I'm in D. laugh at myself some time lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts