Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 5 speed automatics in the '10-'11 Challengers are what I'm wondering about. I've seen them referred to as the W5A580, and the NAG1, both of which are a Mercedes transmission as near as I can tell.

Are they both the same transmission, and it is just 2 different names for it?

Are the transmissions built differently based on what engine they are going behind? Like different numbers of clutch discs based on engine size like the 727's and 904's? I've rebuilt about 10 of those over the years.

Or is a V6 5 speed the same as a 392 Hemi 5 speed, but maybe with different shift points and shift firmness programmed in the computer?

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
NAG1 is New Automatic Gearbox Generation 1
Some examples of marketing names are W5A 300,W5A380 and W5A580.
W=Auto with hydrolic torque converter
5= 5 forward gears
580= max input torque capacity in Newton meters
Here's a good post but it's from another forum so I don't know if you can access it.
http://www.****************/showthread.php?t=810

That said nitro****** Youl have to put that in for ***********
I guess I'm not aloud to say that. PM me your email address if you want to read the post and I'll email it to you.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why is the url all asterisk'd out? Someone here paranoid about people looking on other sites for information instead of only coming here?

What variant of the W5A is behind (each) the V6, 5.7, 6.1, and 6.4? And how are they different?

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
Don't know about the ***** just trying to show you a good post on it. I tried a couple of ways and they blocked it. There must be a rule against what I did. It was just a link, not anything bad but I don't want banned so I guess I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, forget about the URL. PM me the link if possible. Maybe put 2 spaces or a / between each letter or something.

Now, about the transmissions........

·
Registered
2010 SRT8
1,832 Posts
The NAG1 in my V6 SE is the same NAG1 in my husband's SRT8.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts