Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wife took her '16 SP w/uConnect 8.4 out of the garage to do a wash/rinse this afternoon. Upon startup, a uConnect message showed up. I'll try to get the exact text next time. For now, it's an "Update available..." message with about four lines of simple instructions, plus 'Update now' and 'Update later' buttons.

I've been looking at the uConnect site for a week or so to see about getting the latest update. That site doesn't cooperate well with Linux and Chromium, so I need to call their support line.

But this message has appeared out of nowhere simply because the car and uConnect started up.

That normally wouldn't surprise me. That's how many devices do things. But some general Internet searches along with scanning this forum hasn't shown anything obvious that says this happens with other uConnect users. Searches have not been in depth yet. I'd expect one or two hits from the past couple weeks from at least one other Dodge uConnect user if this was some kind of needed security alert.

Is this common? Anybody know if a current update is important? This system is missing the update from 9/2016, so I know one has been available for a while.

Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you go here and enter your VIN,...
Did that a couple weeks ago. That's how I learned that their site doesn't cooperate well with Linux+Chrome(nor Chromium). This thread is about a different issue -- automatic/unsolicited update without visiting the uConnect site nor downloading anything from it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...hmmm... Technically, I did visit the site and enter the VIN. Maybe if no download is done, uConnect becomes enabled to do a download itself after a long enough delay.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,923 Posts
Post a screenshot of the exact update. Always helpul. A Guy

·
Registered
23 Posts
This same message appeared on my UConnect 8.4 in my 2016 R/T Plus on 5/22/16 I let it do the update on my drive home, about 45 minutes, and all went well. After the first 15-20 minutes it tells you that you can shut off the engine and exit the vehicle and the update will complete on its own in up to 60 minutes. I kept driving and it completed by the time I got home. It does say the engine must be running during the first 15 to 20 minute section.

·
Registered
394 Posts
over the air updates

A quick google search yielded from another forum:

UConnect 8.4 & 8.4AN Update - 17.11.07

Did a search and didn't see this posted anywhere. There's a new UConnect software being released and it will now be an over-the-air update. See attached.

MODELS:
2013 - 2016 (D2) RAM 3500 Pickup
2013 - 2016 (DD) RAM 3500 Cab Chassis
2013 - 2016 (DF) RAM 3500 10K Cab Chassis
2013 - 2016 (DJ) RAM 2500 Pickup
2013 - 2016 (DS) RAM 1500 Pickup
2014 - 2016 (KL) Jeep Cherokee
2015 - 2016 (LA) Dodge Challenger
2015 - 2016 (LD) Dodge Charger
2015 - 2016 (LX) Chrysler 300
2015 - 2016 (UF) Chrysler 200
2014 - 2016 (WD) Dodge Durango
2014 - 2016 (WK) Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 - 2016 (ZD) Dodge Viper

The following improvements are included in this update:
· Adds Apple Siri® Eyes Free capability for iPhone® owners.
· Auto Play can now be configured.
· Adds do not disturb text message feature.
· The ability to drag and drop icons into the menu bar.
· Fix for radio locks up/frozen.
· Fix for stuck on black/blank screen.
· Human Machine Interface (HMI) improvements.
· Several navigation improvements.
· Fix for radio loses time.
· Charge Complete notification is not received (RU PHEV only).
· Media devices, Phone pairing and Bluetooth usage improvements.
· Improved tuner performance.
· Enhanced Voice recognition (VR) performance.
· Enhancements in Connectivity Apps (Yelp, Pandora, Aha, etc).

DISCUSSION:
All MY13-16 vehicles sold in the U.S. with the RA3 or RA4 radio can now receive software
updates “over-the-air”. Updates to software level 17.11.07 will occur in a phased roll-out.
The software is updated through the built-in cellular modem in the radio which is
connected to the Sprint® 3G network. Customers will see a notification on their radio
screen when new software is available for their radio (Fig. 1). The owner will have the
option to update the radio or schedule the update for later. There is not an option to
decline the update indefinitely. The update must be performed.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,923 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This same message appeared on my UConnect 8.4 in my 2016 R/T Plus on 5/22/16....
A quick google search yielded from another forum:....
Very good to see it's "normal" (and that it worked). And also good to see some detail about it.

Stuff like this shouldn't happen w/o prior notice, and it should've been clearly obvious on the uConnect web site. If nothing else, the message on-screen should've noted a contact to check.

Perhaps my biggest concern now simply is reception here, but a road trip has been in mind for a while.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Very good to see it's "normal" (and that it worked). And also good to see some detail about it.

Stuff like this shouldn't happen w/o prior notice, and it should've been clearly obvious on the uConnect web site. If nothing else, the message on-screen should've noted a contact to check.
Exactly!

I'm sure the 17's update in this fashion also, but the TSB states MY 2013-2016 and the TSB was dated March 2017. I'd think they knew the 2017 MY cars were already on the street when they released the TSB.

On a side note, You posted this very helpful TSB. How can we find/search for TSB's?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,923 Posts
Google Fu :) No really, it's a matter of luck. Most are not online unless someone with access puts them there. I was searching for automatic Uconnect updates. Found a TSB# on a forum, googled that, and voilla! There is no database I am aware of. A Guy

·
Registered
394 Posts
From Dodge TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) | DodgeProblems.com

Most repair shops can lookup TSB information to get the recommended repairs from the manufacturer.

By Year:

Dodge Challenger TSBs (Technical Service Bulletins) | DodgeProblems.com

This site only lists the number of them. However this site was also 1st on my google hunt and only about 10 seconds of trying. Most manufactures actually have a public facing TBS site somewhere. I normally wait for someone to post them on a forum I am on as that is even easier then googling and normally comes from someone that works in the service dept. of some dealer somewhere.

Here is a good article on where you can get started looking for them. NOT Dodge specific:

Technical Service Bulletins | How To Find And Use TSBs - Consumer Reports News

Ron

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,923 Posts
Looks like the Dodge site only up to 2015. I'd seen that site before after seeing it again just now ;)

A Guy

·
Registered
550 Posts
The update does not sound like much of a big deal. Nothing major. I am weary of forced updates and just hope that it doesn't brick my mobile entertainment epicenter.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I finally did the over the air update. Painless process. While driving the car, I let it do the 15 minute download, then it gave me a few screens to "wait 5 to 10 minutes", then eventually it said it was safe to turn off the car and the rest of the update would take about 50 minutes or so. I turned the car off, when shopping a store, came back out, started the car and the update was done. The clock was set to 12:00 but then set itself a few minutes later. Most all of the screens looked the same. Radio station presets were still set. It's a painless update.

THE BIG CHANGE / PROBLEM... Navigation has some changes. The maps look different. Colors of the map are different. Some road highlights have changed. Not sure I like it, but not a big deal. Destination address entry is the same. Have not tried voice destination entry. I don't know if the maps have been updated with new roads. The biggest change is the tone of the voice that talks back to you giving directions. She sounds more sultry, sexy, Jessica Rabbit, Ginger Grant, softer tone (not lower volume). And she pronounces things differently. Some local street names she pronounces better, some are now way off. Now she says the word R-O-U-T-E as "r-out" rather then "root". Here in Jersey we say "root". Tomato tomatoe, it's still the same road.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I just got an email from Dodge warning me that Uconnect in my car will notify me of a pending OTA update. It also said Uconnect will now receive OTA updates.

Maybe Dodge read this thread. :)

CCB

From the email:

Your Uconnect software is about to get an update.
So is your connected car experience.
Just like your smartphone receives automatic updates, your Uconnect system will now receive over-the-air software updates for fast, easy improvements.

In the next few days, a notification will appear on your Uconnect touchscreen. Simply choose "Update Now," and your system will upgrade with new features and advancements.
It’s as easy as 1-2-3:
1. After you choose “Update Now,” remain with your vehicle in the RUN position for about 15 to 20 minutes*.
2. A message on the touchscreen will tell you when it is okay to turn the engine off and exit the vehicle. The installation will complete on its own in up to 50 minutes.
3. The next time you start your car, your updated system will be ready to go!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts