Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see a lot of Automatic transmissions in these new cars. What's up with that? Is anyone buy autos?

·
Premium Member
4,364 Posts
First off, welcome from Columbus, OH as I see you are in Ohio... where in Ohio if I may ask? We have a car club in the Central Ohio area and get together from time to time if you are interested....

Autos versus Manual transmissions.... Manual transmissions have been slowly going away for about 20 years really except for mostly sports cars. Why? I don't know other than the fewer there are the fewer chance a new driver gets to learn how to drive one. I would like to have a manual but since my car is a daily driver and rush hour traffic can be bad I wouldn't want a daily driver as a manual transmission. I had that issue about 20 years ago and eventually the clutch paid the price.

·
Premium Member
3,029 Posts
Personal preference - and you will get people strongly preferring one or the other.

My personal preference is not to mess with manual transmissions to the extent I purchased a tractor with an automatic (hydrostatic).

Others will feel as strongly the other way.:fight:

·
Registered
404 Posts
All I know is when I was 17, my buddy's father bought a brand new IROC-Z with an automatic tranny. We went out one night picked up a few little chickies at the local McDonalds(funny huh), anyway we were somewhere in the woods drinkin' when the one girl called his car the 'automatic sports car'. I almost threw up. A girl breaking his stones about driving an auto. Something I'll never forget. Maybe I just love running through the gears myself. And no the tap shifing crap aint the same.

·
Registered
119 Posts
All I know is when I was 17, my buddy's father bought a brand new IROC-Z with an automatic tranny. We went out one night picked up a few little chickies at the local McDonalds(funny huh), anyway we were somewhere in the woods drinkin' when the one girl called his car the 'automatic sports car'. I almost threw up. A girl breaking his stones about driving an auto. Something I'll never forget. Maybe I just love running through the gears myself. And no the tap shifing crap aint the same.
Sweet looking Car !! :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
Have an auto in my 09 SRT8 and glad to have it. Also have a corvette with a six speed which is nice however I get tired of shifting in traffic. I drive the SRT8 far more than the corvette. Manuals are great if you do mostly highway, interstate driving or you just like running through the gears.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Manual is awesome if you're used to it and it's a weekend warrior. I ordered my 392 auto because it's going to be a daily driver and I live in New Jersey, so a manual would be a pain in traffic.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I've had a manual in the driveway continously since 1992 (all performance or sports cars), and seriously considered going with a manual for my SRT8 - actually test drove both transmissions. However, I'm a little older now and opted for the convenience of the auto. Its pretty much a daily driver and I've no complaints about the SRT8s performance with the auto.

·
Premium Member
423 Posts
With the exception of one car I owned and my wife's Mini, I've always driven a manual. I use my Challenger as a daily Bay area driver.

Auto's vs Manual's are a choice of preference and what you're going to do with it. Me, I'm going to be doing track driving along with daily road driving and I like manuals.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
I wanted manual but never tried driving one. Went with auto & happy with it. Daily driver also & didn't want the hassle of manual in traffic.

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
its a fast car and the automatic make it .2 seconds faster

but costs $1,300 more

im still 50/50 over whether i should have gotten a 6 speed...i do take heat for getting the automatic....but if i do race it i have a better chance of winning since im not a racing expert.....the automatics give a basic driver an advantage

with the Mopar T shifter it looks and feels just fine.....that minivan shifter they come with is horrible looking

1 - 13 of 13 Posts