Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,701 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Automotive News has called for a ban on the Demon. Lock your doors and hide the women and children! :surprise:

Here's an excerpt of the editor's ranting:

"Dodge is wrong to offer a purpose-built drag racer as a road-legal automobile. From its barely legal slick tires to its monstrous acceleration, the Challenger Demon introduced in New York this month is the result of a sequence of misguided corporate choices that places bragging rights ahead of public safety.Laudably, the entire industry has made great strides toward improved vehicle safety in recent years, even as it dials up performance capabilities. But with the Demon, Dodge spits on that goal and irresponsibly moves in the opposite direction, knowingly placing motorists in danger in the process."

Keep the Dodge Demon off our roads

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
God I'm so tired of everyone walking around complaining about "safety this" or "dangerous that". When did it stop being about responsibility? We live in an age where you don't have to be accountable for your actions any more but even when you are forced to, it's never your fault and it's always someone else's. I'm getting really tired of this and people need to realize that your life is yours to lose when you make poor decisions in how to use what you have. It doesn't matter if it's about fast cars or guns or power tools or anything else. This type of stuff really pisses me off. Now I get it that you can drag innocent bystanders into the mix but at the same time, the responsibility falls onto the person behind the wheel of the offending vehicle. Anyone remember when you used to be able to spank your kids in public? It's called discipline, not abuse.

·
Registered
117 Posts
God I'm so tired of everyone walking around complaining about "safety this" or "dangerous that". When did it stop being about responsibility? We live in an age where you don't have to be accountable for your actions any more but even when you are forced to, it's never your fault and it's always someone else's. I'm getting really tired of this and people need to realize that your life is yours to lose when you make poor decisions in how to use what you have. It doesn't matter if it's about fast cars or guns or power tools or anything else. This type of stuff really pisses me off.
Couldn't have said it better myself!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Gotta love it when the Italians are in charge...until quality drops off a cliff and they bankrupt the company...their usual MO.

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,891 Posts
The Automotive News has called for a ban on the Demon. Lock your doors and hide the women and children! :surprise:

Here's an excerpt of the editor's ranting:

"Dodge is wrong to offer a purpose-built drag racer as a road-legal automobile. From its barely legal slick tires to its monstrous acceleration, the Challenger Demon introduced in New York this month is the result of a sequence of misguided corporate choices that places bragging rights ahead of public safety.Laudably, the entire industry has made great strides toward improved vehicle safety in recent years, even as it dials up performance capabilities. But with the Demon, Dodge spits on that goal and irresponsibly moves in the opposite direction, knowingly placing motorists in danger in the process."

Another knee-jerk reaction from the minds that probably think violent video games make people violent, as if someone asleep or drunk at the wheel of an Expedition is less dangerous.

Gotta love it when the Italians are in charge...until quality drops off a cliff and they bankrupt the company...their usual MO.
Please face us if you want to talk, we don't really care what your ass has to say.

If it wasn't for Fiat, Chrysler as a whole would be nothing but an automotive afterthought resigned to rental fleet production at best.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I remember taking advanced automotive technology at the community college around 15 years ago. The instructor, Terry Lacroix, made this comment on safety conscientious drivers.

"If you're overly concerned about safety then you shouldn't be driving in the first place."

This discussion started with the topic on stereotypical Volvo drivers and the manufacturers' reputation for safety in the event you're involved in a collision or some other mishap. Terry too griped at the fact that Volvo drivers seem to have a propensity to merge into the passing lane on the interstate then decelerate to 50 mph making them some of the worst drivers on the road in his opinion. Car builders can design a car that is safe and improves the chances of survival if in a serious accident. But, it is better to avoid being involved in one by 'being a better driver'.

Just because the Demon has insane capabilities for a street car, it is the driver at the helm who is liable for whatever harm is done due to stupid choices on their own part. With great power comes great responsibility. Are there going to be knuckleheads driving these things? Of course. But, I'm optimistic that the majority of Demon owners will have far more common sense than what is being implied.

·
Registered
14 Posts
39yrs ago, I too had Terry Lacroix as my automotive instructor, and I remember him saying the same things to many of us in his class just as you mentioned. Terry was well qualified to comment on such matters especially considering that he owned at that time a 1966 Shelby GT 350H Mustang. I had at the time my prized 1968 Charger R/T 440 4speed, and I remember another classmate having a 70' Camaro Z28, LT1 4speed. He was a mentor and an inspiration to us students, and helped to instill pride and responsibility that was part of driving muscle cars of that era. Terry became a valued mentor and friend to me for many years. My 68' Charger R/T was an unbelievable and awesome muscle car that taught me well how to drive, handle and respect such a powerful automobile. I have never owned any car since, that has come close to match the power & performance of my Charger....until I bought my 16' Challenger SRT 392 that I currently drive, which meets & exceeds the HP and performance of my previous 68' Charger R/T. Bottom line.....the HP and performance of today's HiPerf vehicles is insane....the likes of which we haven't seen in decades! 485HP, 707HP, 840HP...It's ALL insane power, that commands the driver to be responsible, respectful and smart with.

·
Premium Member
7,291 Posts
It's tiring to hear posts like the one from Automotive News. Most cars today can exceed 100 mph with many exceeding 130 for their top speed. Does that mean we should ban all cars? Certainly not. As previously stated, the driver has control. Even a car with 1,000+ hp is as safe as any other car when driven at the posted speed limit.

·
Registered
367 Posts
God I'm so tired of everyone walking around complaining about "safety this" or "dangerous that". When did it stop being about responsibility? We live in an age where you don't have to be accountable for your actions any more but even when you are forced to, it's never your fault and it's always someone else's. I'm getting really tired of this and people need to realize that your life is yours to lose when you make poor decisions in how to use what you have. It doesn't matter if it's about fast cars or guns or power tools or anything else. This type of stuff really pisses me off. Now I get it that you can drag innocent bystanders into the mix but at the same time, the responsibility falls onto the person behind the wheel of the offending vehicle. Anyone remember when you used to be able to spank your kids in public? It's called discipline, not abuse.
HA! I got thrown out of jury duty for an almost identical speech I gave when the judge asked if anyone had any thoughts on the case we brought in to possibly be considered for.

It was literally lawyers suing EVERYBODY they could for any possible monitary gain that could be had... I was not pleased and wanted everyone that had been called in to have that little seed stuck in their head.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I don't here many people *****ing about Teslas being too fast!

Discrimination!

Enjoy the last days of the V8 internal combustion engine, for they are upon us.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Dead on. It's not an age thing either. I'm 32 and find both young and old completely absent of responsibility. Rest assured I teach both of my kids daily in hopes they won't escape the lessons like so many others...My mom always assumed I did it or I shouldn't have been around to get blamed. I always thought it was harsh when I was a kid, especially if I was actually innocent but boy did it pay off! You can bet I had my fair share of spankings. Not as many as my older brother but he needed more lessons than me haha

·
Registered
33 Posts
I agree with most everyone here. No matter what the discussion is about, there are always the extreme outliers. I really can't see a Demon daily driver gassing a Prius at a stop light. I mean really. You'd like to think the folks buying Demons, who can afford them, have enough common sense to understand what it is they're driving. Granted, the Demon's horsepower is up there, but it doesn't diminish the awesome power of the Hellcat either. I haven't heard tons of nasty stories about Hellcat owners and how irresponsible they are, yet 707 horses is still huge power. There isn't THAT much difference in potential misuse of power between the Hellcat and the Demon. A shotgun can kill just as quick as a bazooka.
One thing I could see is requiring a short training course at a track or such. I think a professional race driver could impart some useful, experienced insights into driving such a powerful machine.

·
Super Moderator
15,067 Posts
I'm imagining [Simpsons reference] Helen Lovejoy (Reverend's wife) hands to face "what about the children"?!

and that's right there's electric vehicles (Tesla specifically) that can out-accelerate most anything on the road, and wait till someone "shows off" what one of those can do and things go sideways....

With power, there's responsibility that requires discretion of where / when to use it.

Last week leaving a Griot's event, a 40s-50s guy leaving decided he had to show off his hopped up Vega, replete with tunnel ram V8 and ladder bars, and big tires, tubbed rear end and started to lose it and would have taken out 4-5 cars that were parked on the street.

There's all kinds out there - dumb comes in all ages...

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Just more dumb people crying for attention, because the things they hate/can't have/don't understand are still popular and loved by those of us who do understand. Even after generations of effort to silence those who exercise freedom. Just remember there was a time when some dumbasses wanted to ban rock music, because it was "the Devil" or whatever. And, of course, that resulted in people wanting it more. This is just the latest iteration of that way of thinking (IF you can call it thinking). That's why I love Dodge. They just take advantage of that for marketing purposes.

·
Premium Member
5,641 Posts
I want it more...

"From its barely legal slick tires to its monstrous acceleration, the Challenger Demon introduced in New York this month is the result of a sequence of misguided corporate choices that places bragging rights ahead of public safety." Laudably, the entire industry has made great strides toward improved vehicle safety in recent years, even as it dials up performance capabilities. But with the Demon, Dodge spits on that goal and irresponsibly moves in the opposite direction, knowingly placing motorists in danger in the process."

These statements make guys like me want to get a Demon. It was written by a Ford fanboy for sure. GM dorks are smart enough to know that this article is good advertising for Mopar.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts