Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When in autostick and flooring it it will not down shift.
Coming to a stop in autostick it will down shift.
When in D and flooring it it will downshift.

How does yours act?

·
Banned
1,540 Posts
Same as yours.

Jack

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
O.K. all is well, well for the way it's suppose to work from factory.

I just think it's really a safety situation when it doesn't downshift in autostick. IE when you need the extra umph to get out of the way of oncoming traffic or deer running toward road or...............you get my drift of a situation where you really don't have your hand on the shifter and need to make quick manuver.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Hope they have improved them since 2005. I used it in my 300C all the time & loved it till the tranny went with less than 20K. I will not use it in the SRT8....will have to just clean brake dust from wheeels instead..hehe

·
Registered
714 Posts

I just think it's really a safety situation when it doesn't downshift in autostick. IE when you need the extra umph to get out of the way of oncoming traffic or deer running toward road or...............you get my drift of a situation where you really don't have your hand on the shifter and need to make quick manuver.
The whole point of the autostick is that it doesn't do that because you want the car to do that

I mean imagine a manual when you floor it it won't downshift either :D

·
Registered
2,412 Posts

....the simple truth of the matter is that in "autostick" mode, the car will remain in the gear you select unless:

a) you select a different gear assuming it's safe to do so (otherwise the car will not allow it).

b) your speed drops below what is sufficient to keep the car from stalling in the selected gear (in which case the transmission will downshift automatically).

c) your speed/RPM increases to the point that the computer deems it inadequate for the gear you have selected (in which case the transmission will automatically select the next gear for you). IME, sometimes this is at/near redline or before it depending on the situation.

If you want the car to “kick down” in “autostick” mode as it would when you are in “D” (drive), then you need to manually select a lower gear. “Autostick” mode simply allows you to have similar control over the gearbox as you would have in a manual/standard. A tuning tool like the Predator has a feature that will allow you to change the characteristics of the transmission including the ability for it to hold a gear up to redline (I don’t believe it disables the rev limiter in this particular mode and it will still downshift automatically).

·
Registered
887 Posts
. . . where you really don't have your hand on the shifter and need to make quick manuver.
If you're in Autostick, why would your hand NOT be on the shifter?

·
Banned
117 Posts
The autostick just seems to be hoaky. Not only on this car but all cars.
When you drive a manual you realize how dumb this concept is. Just put it into drive and live with the fact that you have a automatic.

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
When you drive a manual you realize how dumb this concept is. Just put it into drive and live with the fact that you have a automatic.
What if you don't want to shift all the time but don't want the MDS kicking in and out when playing?

·
Premium Member
3,546 Posts
From what I understand Yes the Diablo can turn off the MDS but that's alot of money if your not doing anything else to the tune and on road trips the MDS does save money.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I kind of agree with you in a way. But when I went to the SRT Experience earlier (in the year) I noticed that if you kept the car in D...it was very slow to downshift when goosing it after coming out of a turn. It had a hard time keeping up with the other cars. But, when using autostick...you had plenty of punch regardless of what the situation called for. I have never used the autostick with my wifes R/T and probably never will. But on a track I can see where it would be useful.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
….it really depends on what you’re expectations are. I would agree with you if someone buys an automatic expecting their car to behave exactly the same way a manual does or to provide the same experience. However, if you understand the concept and how it works, the “autostick” feature simply puts more control in the hands of the driver over gear selection than simply “putting it into drive”. Again, if you are expecting the system to do more than what it is capable of, then obviously I would question the owner’s choice in transmissions. ….and not all “autostick”-type systems are created equal.

On a side note…. The Predator has the ability to disable MDS but I believe it can also change the characteristics of shifting while in drive and has a feature that will allow you to hold gear while in “autositck” mode (it won’t automatically up-shift).

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
On a side note…. The Predator has a feature that will allow you to hold gear while in “autositck” mode (it won’t automatically up-shift).
Not on the 09 and newer and some 08's. it still upshifts at rev limit/redline.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Seriously I know what the intentions are of the functions of the transmission but it seems pointless not to down shift when flooring it. I mean why else would you be flooring it if not for some manuver to overcome where you would need the most.

I should have been more specific about driving like at speed cruising for a long distance not racing as it looks some took the post to mean.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Not on the 09 and newer and some 08's. it still upshifts at rev limit/redline.
....well, in the context of my original response that’s why I did say:

"The Predator has the ability to disable MDS but I believe it can also change the characteristics of shifting while in drive and has a feature that will allow you to hold gear while in “autositck” mode (it won’t automatically up-shift)."

Thanks for clarifying though.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts