Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
A fellow Challenger owner (his is a 2013SRT) recently told me about resetting my throttle sensitivity (not sure of technical name) but basically set car to on position, waited for lights to go out, slowly pressed gas pedal all the way in, held for a few seconds, slowly released the pedal and then turned the car off. I immediately noticed a difference the first time around the block afterwards and that has led me to think to ask if the family in this forum has any other tips/tricks that I can try to get a little more performance out of her.....
I have a 2010 SE 3.5L V6 high Output 254V MPI Engine w/ a 5-Speed auto W5A580, AutoStick (R), Transmission. While I am aware of various things that maybe done, most of which include component additions/replacements, my first intent is to gain a base line for how this car can and should perform. I have only had this car for less then a month and am exciting to hear from you all as I learn and move forward, especially since this is the first I have had a car that has "adaptive learning" (is that even a correct term)

thanks

Eddie aka "The ChallengerNoobie"
2010 SE Inferno Red Pearl

·
Registered
224 Posts
Before you jump into putting money into a 3.5L V6, please pay close attention to two thing. The overall mileage of the car and "does it tick" at idle. If it ticks, replace the rocker arms. My 2010 SE now has 347,000 miles on it and I can say it's the BEST car I've ever owned. BUT, that rocker arm problem can lead to a real bad day. Enclosed is a pic of what my passenger's side camshaft looks like when that rocker arm problem was not resolved soon enough. I'm on the third rocker assembly for the passenger side (one set new, two sets used. My choice), but at this point, the car has reached EOL (End of life) so I don't really care. It still runs well, but beware.

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Greg55_99

thank you very much for the heads up on this....I have only had the car for just about at month now and even though its a 2010, I only have 66850 miles on it (picked it up at just over 66K!!). so far as I can tell there are no idle ticks and start up sounds clean, both the remote start and manually starting it. I think that you have just swung my vote to wait on stuff before doing some stuff, especially as I am still learning.....
Patience and SME's such as yourself willing to give advice seem to be key,
Its just so hard not wanting more for it after having spent 20 years in minivans and SUV's cause of the 5 kids!!!!

Eddie

·
Registered
224 Posts
The problem with the 3.5L is the original rocker arms will shear off their locating pins and cause the shaft to move around ever so slightly. That causes the roller tip to wear into the camshaft (as you can clearly see in my pic). ALL of the as delivered rockers do this. You can order new design replacements from places on Ebay or, I think get them from Autozone. They run about $500 for two sets. Replacing them is not that hard and you WILL have to replace the ones you have, OR, your cam will eventually look like mine. As for starting out with performance in mind, if you search Craigslist, you can find take off second hand Challenger dual exhaust systems pretty cheap to get rid of the single pipe you have. That's how I started anyway. They're all over the place.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
I had an '09 SE. I bought a Diablo tuner to marry it to 93 octane gas. I really didn't see any much difference in performance or gas mileage.

The one area the 3.5 has it over on the 3.6 is exhaust sound if you want to go that way. The 3.5 can sound amazing.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Congrats on the getting the Challenger SE. I've had mine since January 2011 and have 127000.00 miles on her. If you want to get a baseline on performance I'd suggest a tune up even though it's a little early. Also you should consider getting the injectors cleaned Services - Doctor Injector will clean them and flow check them. If you get dual exhaust the duals for the Hemi engine they will cause a loss of low end torque when installed on the 3.5. I have a Predator tuner and use the 93 octane tune and the thing about it is that it costs you every time you fill up. If I had it to do over I would have stuck with bolt on accessories (CAI, Ported TB, Ported Lower Manifold, headers muffler and dual exhaust with a custom 87 octane tune. Though I have a Tidalwave supercharger kit in my garage...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
tf34mech

that is some awesome information and truly appreciate it....I have decided to do a CAI and am currently looking into a dual exhaust option for it. not sure I am ready for a tuner yet, but its on my on the fence list....93 octane in the SF bay area can really get ridiculous.
have a great one and I will post as I get some new toys installed....

like I told my wife after she asked why I needed to do anything to it "its just fine the way it is"...in answer I said. Honey, your skin is beautiful and your clothes are nice, but that doesn't stop you from buying things for them does it? :)

·
Registered
1,750 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
1) Run 89 octane instead of 87 (regardless of whether or not you do #3).

2) Swap current rear-end (2.85) for a lower geared one (3.07, 3.91, etc.)

3) Get a DiabloSport tuner and load the 89 or 91 octane canned tune and make sure to run gasoline with same octane or higher. (The 93 canned tune doesn't agree with the 3.5L for some reason).

4) Remove as much weight from the car as possible. Spare tire, jack, etc. are all dead weight sapping performance, and there is not enough to spare as it is.

Those are the main items you can do. The 3.5L engine is pretty limited though in what can be done to increase performance, so plan on upgrading to a newer engine (3.6L, 5.7L, etc) in the next year or two if you want to continue modding for power.

Also, bookmark this link and peruse it at your leisure for later reference: http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f38/jbds-2010-se-599930/#post7700450

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
1) Run 89 octane instead of 87 (regardless of whether or not you do #3).
To show how un-smart I was, when I bought my '09 SE, I ran 87 octane gas in it for over a year before I read the owner's manual. :headbang: Then when I did, I was surprised to see that 89 octane was preferred, but 87 was acceptable. With my '09, it had a 4 speed transmission, and there were bogs at times between 2nd and 3rd, or 3rd and 4th if I was going up a hill. I mean... You needed to hit the gas harder to get it to downshift again, then I was fine. With a 2010, at least he has 5 speeds. Hopefully his bogs are nothing like I experienced.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks Nuke
I am going to be looking into this...I must say it is freaking amazing to have a forum like this for noobs like me. I do understand I am fairly limited with the 3.5L and am very appreciative for you to take the time to give some guidance....

·
Premium Member
4,483 Posts
thanks Nuke
I am going to be looking into this...I must say it is freaking amazing to have a forum like this for noobs like me. I do understand I am fairly limited with the 3.5L and am very appreciative for you to take the time to give some guidance....
Something else you should consider is an exhaust upgrade, i.e. get rid of the stock suitcase muffler and resonator so it's not whisper quiet anymore when running. I personally recommend a Jones Full Boar muffler as a replacement, but there are many others out there.

This won't technically add any performance, but it will make the car sound better, and as a result it will be more fun to drive IMHO.

Here's some links to posts I've made on this subject in the past:

https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f38/v6-exhaust-10-commandments-read-first-621762/#post7935754

https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f38/3-5l-high-output-engine-595689/index4.html#post7701913

https://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f449/strange-new-sound-after-muffler-upgrade-444697/

If you search this site for posts by Nuke using the keyword JFB or Jones Full Boar, you will get many, many more hits on this topic. :grin2:

NOTE 1: using that search above, you will run across a lot of posts on this site where I talk about upgrading the exhaust on my Challenger to use a JFB muffler. However, not all of the posts will apply to your situation. I had 2 different v6 Challengers and did the upgrade to both, but only one was a 3.5L like yours. As such, only those posts will truly apply to your situation. All the links I pasted above are either specific to my 2010 with the 3.5L or have information in them regarding the 3.5L, so you're good to go with those to start out.

NOTE 2: I just updated the post I referenced in my previous reply to include some external links to writeups on changing the spark plugs in the 3.5L I never did a write up on that, so I didn't have any ChallengerTalk links to paste in when I originally made that linked-to post. Now it points to others' write-ups or videos on the spark plug maintenance that exist on external sites.

Nuke

1 - 14 of 14 Posts