Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
735 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my DMV bill for registration renewal. The total came out to be $575. That seems like a lot. I do have special plates (random numbers) that cost $40 to renew annually. How much do you guys pay and does it sound about right?

·
Registered
774 Posts
I pay about half that (around 300) for my 2013 with a personal and special plate. Newer cars cost more and since it seems like you are out of California, that may contribute as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Holy hell! Where do you guys live? Monaco? Dubai?

All cars, no matter the year, are $37 per year in Pennsylvania. Doesn't change based on year, value, mileage or anything. I add a weight class sticker for towing on my RAM 1500, brings it up to about $80. Been paying the exact same fee for the truck plate since 2002, when I got my Avalanche.

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
Holy hell! Where do you guys live? Monaco? Dubai?

All cars, no matter the year, are $37 per year in Pennsylvania. Doesn't change based on year, value, mileage or anything. I add a weight class sticker for towing on my RAM 1500, brings it up to about $80. Been paying the exact same fee for the truck plate since 2002, when I got my Avalanche.
That's about what I pay here in Ohio. If the BMV mailed me something like that I would go on a shooting spree.

·
Registered
774 Posts
That's about what I pay here in Ohio. If the BMV mailed me something like that I would go on a shooting spree.

Lol I wish AZ was like that.

·
Registered
41 Posts
CO = $700

f***ing libtards

·
Registered
19 Posts
California car registration fees increased in 2018 for all cars as part of SB-1 signed by Jerry Brown - They call it the "New Transportation Improvement Fee".

I registered two cars this year and it was over $900.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
CO = $700

f***ing libtards
IS that a "fee" or some sort of property tax for new cars older car owners don't pay?

I ask because here in New Hampshire we raise the lion's share of tax revenue on "property". There is no Sales or Earned income tax here.

Plating a car can be pretty pricey for a new car vs old. The plate fee is based on weight. A car or light truck comes in at just under $50 regardless of age or value.

BUT........you do also pay a town tax on the value of the car. Varies wildly from model to model. You get hit based on the based price of your trim level. It declines over a period of the first 7 seven years and then stops right at that value.

You could easily pay $1,000/year or more in your first year on a new Corvette. A Hell Cat would get you there too......but it declines pretty quickly in the years that follow.

When asked about it. I just shrug my shoulders and say, "It might surprise you but I like my BIG PROPERTY tax bills!"

The argument goes like this. I consider what I paid over the years in property tax on my home and vehicles plus the very small bill I get for interest and dividends.....then weigh that vs the income tax on paychecks we didn't plus all the sales tax we didn't have to pay........Yeah, think about that one. The price of a car in New Hampshire is the price of the car......no extra sales tax (leaves plenty of room to pay those property taxes in first few years before they are much smaller)......we're MILES AHEAD here vs living in a State that has all three Big Broad based taxes (Income, Sales and Property)

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
California car registration fees increased in 2018 for all cars as part of SB-1 signed by Jerry Brown - They call it the "New Transportation Improvement Fee".

I registered two car this year and it was over $900.
That is pretty tough......it's not as if you guys aren't alreday hit pretty damned hard all over the landscape of taxes......then your VERY OWN blend of Gasoline approved for sale in the State that has your prices on average a full $1 Plus/gallon higher than the rest of the 49 states.

When you look at how very expensive the choice to live in California is........it's not hard to understand why even the GREAT WEATHER you have isn't enough anymore to keep people coming in faster than they leave in way it had been happening for so very many years.

·
Registered
41 Posts
IS that a "fee" or some sort of property tax for new cars older car owners don't pay?

I ask because here in New Hampshire we raise the lion's share of tax revenue on "property". There is no Sales or Earned income tax here.

Plating a car can be pretty pricey for a new car vs old. The plate fee is based on weight. A car or light truck comes in at just under $50 regardless of age or value.

BUT........you do also pay a town tax on the value of the car. Varies wildly from model to model. You get hit based on the based price of your trim level. It declines over a period of the first 7 seven years and then stops right at that value.

You could easily pay $1,000/year or more in your first year on a new Corvette. A Hell Cat would get you there too......but it declines pretty quickly in the years that follow.

When asked about it. I just shrug my shoulders and say, "It might surprise you but I like my BIG PROPERTY tax bills!"

The argument goes like this. I consider what I paid over the years in property tax on my home and vehicles plus the very small bill I get for interest and dividends.....then weigh that vs the income tax on paychecks we didn't plus all the sales tax we didn't have to pay........Yeah, think about that one. The price of a car in New Hampshire is the price of the car......no extra sales tax (leaves plenty of room to pay those property taxes in first few years before they are much smaller)......we're MILES AHEAD here vs living in a State that has all three Big Broad based taxes (Income, Sales and Property)

Nope, annual "renewal". First Registration included sales etc, tax, that was $2800 last July. My 1997 Powerstroke is nearly $200 annually to register. My 1975 k10 plow truck, over $100 also. :soapbox:

cheers

·
Registered
14,515 Posts
They usually find a way to get you either way, in La we have low $ renewals, I think I paid about $100 for two years on the SRT, but the initial purchase is a killer because of the state and parish tax, that was about $4400., yikes!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
978 Posts
Just over $100/year including a small premium for custom plates. I believe it goes down in price for older cars but don’t recall the threshold.

The first time you register the state does collect 6% sales tax on the purchase price.

·
Premium Member
3,243 Posts
Arizona is very expensive. The actual registration fee is about $35 but then they add an emissions test fee whether you need one or not. Then the biggie, called a Lieu tax fee which is based on the retail value of the vehicle. So for example, a new $42,000 Jeep Grand Cherokee I was recently looking to buy would have cost over $800 to register for the first year. It would probably drop $50 the second year. That plus the 9.1% sales tax convinced me to keep my 2015 Ram which I just renewed for about $500.

·
Registered
550 Posts
MA is 75 per year for vanity plate registration paid to the RMV. In addition we pay the town that we live in "excise" tax annually based on the valuation of said vehicle. I think that it is calculated at a state rate of $25.00 per $1000.00. Even though most are grossly undervalued, which is good, I still paid about $475 this past March in excise tax on my 2015 Challenger. The tax is supposed to pay for road infrastructure improvements.

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
In Illinois, I pay $101.00/year each for our renewals. My wife's Durango has "regular" plates. My '13 R/T has vanity plates which normally cost quite a bit more; however, my plates are one of the various military veteran series plates so the state doesn't charge extra for those vanity plates. Age or value of the car has no bearing. The state one time sales tax upon purchase is 6.25%. Some areas, such as Chicago, add their own city and/or county sales tax taking it over 10%. In our town and county, there is no additional sales tax.

·
Registered
392 Posts
$42/yr in Pennsylvania, no matter if you have a $500k Ferrari or $500 Ford Pinto it’s the same price lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: ChallengerBoston

·
Registered
14,515 Posts
$42/yr in Pennsylvania, no matter if you have a $500k Ferrari or $500 Ford Pinto it’s the same price lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
That's nuts! We used to be like that but now at least partly value based.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
472 Posts
This year's registration renewal for my 2014 R/T ran $320.00 with special plates (Sacramento, CA area)...it's on my growing list of reasons to leave California forever.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts