Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Technically, there is a difference between AWD and 4WD. This explains it - https://www.motoring.com.au/what-is-the-difference-between-4wd-and-awd-7530/
There are several other links that say the same thing. There's full-time 4WD, part-time 4WD, and AWD.

According to these definitions, the GT is definitely not full-time 4WD, but is it part-time 4WD or AWD? With AWD, torque is always being applied to all four wheels and varies according to traction conditions sensed by the onboard computer systems. The GT is either in 4WD or RWD, which sounds like it's part-time 4WD, not AWD.

We know that Dodge calls it AWD, but is it really? I guess the bottom-line is "Who cares? Just floor it!"

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,566 Posts
I always considered part time 4WD TC as being one that can lock front and rear output shafts mechanically (basically the TC is running like a posi diff). Basically you don't want to run the TC in this state all the time...especially on dry roads...hence the part time. Full time 4WD usually referred to a TC that ran like an open diff. On my 78 Ramcharger, the only options you had were part-time (or 4 lock) and full-time 4WD. There was also a low, high and neutral.

Therefore, I would not consider the GT a part time 4WD TC because it uses clutch packs (if worn can slip) to engage the front output. If anything it operates more like a full time 4WD but the TC operates like a limited slip diff...which is what I usually refer to as being AWD (i.e. the TC has some intelligence).

In short, this is my goofy way of differentiating the systems:

part time 4WD - TC is posi
full time 4WD - TC is open
AWD - TC is limited slip (with the caveat that the system runs in RWD during dry road conditions...basically the TC needs no input from the driver)

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
They could have optioned the GT where you had to turn the front hubs. How cool would that be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
They could have optioned the GT where you had to turn the front hubs. How cool would that be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm not a fan of that idea, but it would have been nice to be able to turn off the AWD. Sport mode forces it into AWD, but there is no way to turn it off. When the temp is below 42, the AWD kicks in automatically and there is no way to turn it off.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CtheW0rld - I notice you're using the new spoiler badge in your sig. Looks good.

Seeing that badge raises the question, is the GT AWD or 4WD? Can it be both? Why didn't Dodge make the badge with AWD instead of the 4? I'm confused about that whole thing. All I know for sure is that it works well in Colorado snow. And that's what counts.

·
Registered
194 Posts
CtheW0rld - I notice you're using the new spoiler badge in your sig. Looks good.

Seeing that badge raises the question, is the GT AWD or 4WD? Can it be both? Why didn't Dodge make the badge with AWD instead of the 4? I'm confused about that whole thing. All I know for sure is that it works well in Colorado snow. And that's what counts.
Thanks.

It's primarily RWD, unless certain parameters are met (cold, below 42, or wet roads). It also engages if it senses wheel slippage (did that on a very curvy, hilly road I took on a test drive) Sport mode forces it in AWD, also. I agree, it does do good in snow and rain. I live in Pittsburgh and the hills in winter are a challenge.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I got my GT back in Feb of 2017. It was one of the very first in the Rocky Mtn region. I know very well how the drive-train works. It's one of the coolest things about the GT. It gives you the best of both worlds - Snow and Go.

My question is with what the car is called. It's referred to as the "AWD GT". But most of the time it runs in RWD, with 4WD capability and now a 4WD badge. And by technical definition, it is not a true AWD since all four wheels are not constantly engaged. Kinda ambiguous. But still a helluva lot of fun!

In fact, I think the GT stands for Great Time!

Attachments

·
Registered
194 Posts
I got my GT back in Feb of 2017. It was one of the very first in the Rocky Mtn region. I know very well how the drive-train works. It's one of the coolest things about the GT. It gives you the best of both worlds - Snow and Go.

My question is with what the car is called. It's referred to as the "AWD GT". But most of the time it runs in RWD, with 4WD capability and now a 4WD badge. And by technical definition, it is not a true AWD since all four wheels are not constantly engaged. Kinda ambiguous. But still a helluva lot of fun!

In fact, I think the GT stands for Great Time!
I didn't notice you were the OP. Sorry. The logo is a 4, which fits according to the link you posted. I suppose they did it for marketing, and "part-time 4 wheel drive" didn't fit on the logo. :laugh2:

I read somewhere the GT stands for grand touring. I was out for a walk yesterday and spotted the GT logo on a Charger. Weird. https://www.pittsburghchevrolet.net/VehicleDetails/used-2018-Dodge-Charger-GT_AWD-Pittsburgh-PA/3174860243

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,566 Posts
My question is with what the car is called. It's referred to as the "AWD GT". But most of the time it runs in RWD, with 4WD capability and now a 4WD badge. And by technical definition, it is not a true AWD since all four wheels are not constantly engaged.
Same can be said about 4wd...not all 4 wheels are in constant engagement. :wink3: You actually don't want all 4 wheels constantly engaged...unless you are in a muddy swamp or on a sheet of ice. If you hit a dry patch of pavement with all 4 wheels engaged you will not only cause damage to the drive train but your steering capabilities would be shite.

·
Super Moderator
15,387 Posts
The AWD approach generally allows torque to be biased either towards FWD or RWD and it re-apportions depending on conditions.

With the Challenger GT its using the similar approach as Daimler did (and the AWD Charger during the A5 days from '05 - '11) with their 4Matic system. Ran in RWD until conditions trigger it to kick in.
-I got to drive a '90 E-class in February (loaner from shop when I had my 'Benz worked on) when we had snow / ice. It was pretty cool that 305k mi Benz felt like it had limited slip and would just grip and go with the 4Matic - just drive and it did the work w/o any intervention.

The advantage is less frictional losses (and MPG drop) from running 4WD full time and the tire scrub / wear in that mode.

Since the GT was purposed with the idea of year-round driving, the AWD kicks on during "winter" perameters or when Sport mode is engaged.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts