Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
So, how long till these get Hemi's and lift kits with some big meats underneath??:smile:
Begs the question....why?

I'm gonna assume that's sarcasm.

As for the more serious question, "When will AWD be available with a V8?"

Beats me if it'll happen but if it does or if Ford or Chevy do it first all three manufacturers will pretty much have to do it. The horse power and torque available today would be a lot more usable and safer on the street if you could get AWD!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Slow sales were supposedly what killed the AWD/V8 offerings in the Charger and 300. Based on that, I doubt they will bring it back just for the Challenger.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Slow sales were supposedly what killed the AWD/V8 offerings in the Charger and 300. Based on that, I doubt they will bring it back just for the Challenger.

That was an option though only available to police in the police package. That would cut the number of possible sales greatly. I know it was offered to the general public for a while but it was my understanding you had to pick the police package to get the 5.7 with AWD.

Ron

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
That was an option though only available to police in the police package. That would cut the number of possible sales greatly. I know it was offered to the general public for a while but it was my understanding you had to pick the police package to get the 5.7 with AWD.

Ron

I believe it was up to 2014 you could buy a 5.7L Charger R/T or 300C with AWD. It came with the 5 speed NAG1 automatic. For 2015 they dropped that, and offered the 8 speed automatics with the V8s and all RWD for civilians. From 2015-on they have continued to offer the V8/AWD with the 5 speed NAG1, but for police only. So there has never been an AWD 8 speed V8 L-platform car from factory. I guess they figure Grand Cherokees and Durangos fill the gap.

·
Registered
760 Posts
The idea of an AWD 5.7 as a police car package in the Charger makes a TON OF GOOD SENSE.

In the Northern Climates it'd be easy to imagine that rural police would definitely consider the car for purchase.

When I think of AWD for the public I have an entirely different take.

AWD for the Charger or Challenger with a V6 is already available and it sells in pretty small numbers. Dodge is probably correct if they assume the majority of buyers of AWD really just want SUVs anyway not a Coupe.

What I really wonder about is how the market might react to an AWD BIG HORSEPOWER car like the Hell Cat.

It's pretty easy to imagine that 797HP or even 717HP with an actual AWD.

Anyone who has watched a Tesla beat a Hell Cat or high end Corvette at the drag strip knows that the race is won by the electric car in the first 100 ft. Torque is one big advantage but putting the power down at all 4 wheels is the other.

On the street squirrelly and nearly unusable extra power on the street is what I think of when I look at a Hell Cat. Driving one before deciding the 392 was the better path confirmed it for me.

0-60MPH times can be impressive if you can actually find traction but it's pretty rare to see a Hell Cat that doesn't just BLAZE it's tires on a hard acceleration from a standing start anywhere other than a prepared track surface at the drag strip. Seems to me AWD in the Super-Charged cars might be an option that (sorry for the pun) could actually get traction in the dealership salesroom. If it had been available this year I'd have far more seriously considered a Hell Cat purchase.

·
Registered
13,540 Posts
AWD for the Charger or Challenger with a V6 is already available and it sells in pretty small numbers. Dodge is probably correct if they assume the majority of buyers of AWD really just want SUVs anyway not a Coupe.
I'd like to see a numbers breakdown and they might be surprising, I remember Tim Kuniskis saying the AWD Charger outsells the RWD Charger in 19 states.

Nah not buying that. If durability would allow them to release the horses it would scream. Imagine a Widebody Redeye on launch control at 3500 rpm and no traction issues, it would make up for those 200-300 lbs easily.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
12,533 Posts
2:00 minute mark

5364 lbs. How could a AWD Hellcat be slower? :)

A Guy

·
Registered
939 Posts

A Guy
I was replying to Frank asking what the times would be with AWD.
Times means timing lights which mean a drag strip. I’ve seen plenty of Hellcats at the drag strip launch incredibly hard without wheelspin. So adding a couple hundred lbs, most of which are to the drivetrain won’t make a car faster at all that isn’t losing traction to begin with. Now if you are arguing about the street then that’s obviously a completely different story.

I think it would be an awesome option if you could turn it off when you want to.

I personally would never want a 800hp car where I couldn’t do a burnout or come out of a corner and let the rear step out a couple of feet once in a while.

·
Registered
760 Posts
2:00 minute mark

2018 Jeep Trackhawk 0-60 Launch!! - YouTube

A Guy
Yeah, can't say I'm surprised. There are lot's of AWD examples out there that provide a clue to anyone who doubts that on the street an AWD Hell Cat would DEMOLISH a RWD Hell Cat with incredible ease.

I have no idea what the engineering requirement would be but obviously since the system under this heavier SUV already exists you have to believe it could be done under a challenger.

Dodge almost has to do it. They lose sales already on the Hell Cat due to the lack of it. I'm just one buyer who took a pass on the Hell Cat because as much as the 707HP was appealing the uselessness of it on the street had me scratching my head.......if the car was AWD that view would have been very different.

It's probably a price point thing. It wouldn't be hard to imagine this car might cost you a 6 figure price tag for the first time on a Challenger. But if Dodge ever wants to get super serious about the car as an actual acceleration MONSTER they pretty much have to do it. It's too much weight to move with RWD alone on the street. There are actually a lot of cars out there that can easily out accelerate a Hell Cat from 0-60 when the car isn't wearing slicks and on a prepared surface. The reason it happens most often boils down to AWD.

·
Registered
760 Posts
I was replying to Frank asking what the times would be with AWD.
Times means timing lights which mean a drag strip. I’ve seen plenty of Hellcats at the drag strip launch incredibly hard without wheelspin. So adding a couple hundred lbs, most of which are to the drivetrain won’t make a car faster at all that isn’t losing traction to begin with. Now if you are arguing about the street then that’s obviously a completely different story.

I think it would be an awesome option if you could turn it off when you want to.

I personally would never want a 800hp car where I couldn’t do a burnout or come out of a corner and let the rear step out a couple of feet once in a while.
....and that's the other side of the argument.

An AWD Challenger moves pretty far away from it's Retro roots. The idea of it as an option rather than a design that runs across the entire line up without choice seems like a sure thing or Dodge probably does lose buyers who see the car as you do.

·
Registered
385 Posts
"I know it was offered to the general public for a while but it was my understanding you had to pick the police package to get the 5.7 with AWD."

The last year for the 5.7L hemi Charger with AWD was 2014. When I was at the dealer last year, I took the new (2017 at the time) six cylinder Charger for a test drive, and it was totally adequate for a daily driver. About 290 hp and had decent zip with good gas mileage. When FCA went to the 8-speed trans in 2015, you can no longer fit the bigger trans in the tunnel where the five speed Mercedes trans was, plus the V-8 hemi engine and 4WD gear.

I picked up an AWD hemi Charger used at a great price for winter use and daily driver. It's a nice car, but the 5-speed Mercedes trans feels more clunky with the drag of the AWD system. It doesn't shift as nice and smooth, especially downshifts, as the RT Challenger 5-speed.

An AWD SRT or Hellcat in my opinion would be slower, the car now weighs more and has more drag in the driveline. My Charger RT AWD is rated 15/23 mpg, and you are lucky to get 20-22 mpg on the highway. The Challenger RT is rated 16/25 mpg, and you can get that easily.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I would have bought my GT with a 5.7 in an instant. A Challenger with a bigger motor and AWD would be the only reason I would ever consider trading in my car.

·
Registered
385 Posts
No comparison there Frank, those are custom builds, we're talking about factory cars here.

I doubt my Stage 1 AWD Charger R/T would be faster than the Challenger R/T. One thing I'll have to try and do is weigh the Charger. I would bet that it has at least 200 more pounds in the drive gear than a regular RWD Charger.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I thought I might stick in my two cents on this thread. I posted this over on the Charger Forum but I think it might be of interest over here as well.

I’d been in the hunt for an AWD Hemi Charger Pursuit for nearly a year. Searched Autotrader, Cars.com, CarGuru, you name it. I found more than a few with low mileages but also a few with suspicious backgrounds. Only one was ever near me. I live in Massachusetts. Last October, I contacted a dealer in New Jersey that had a 2017 Pursuit. Via email they assured me the car was available. I drove down the next day and when I get there, the salesman informed me the car had been sold the week before. Strike one..

I also had multiple conversations with a dealer in Indiana for a Pursuit they had listed in the Used Car section of their website. I stayed in contact with them nearly a month. To get to them, I’d have to book a flight to get there. However, just before I was going to pull the trigger on that endeavor, I called the sales dept to make sure the car was available. Salesman said it was, but then I heard a voice in the background yell “Hey, we can’t sell that one. It’s a cop car!” Apparently sales never talked to the Fleet manager about the car. Dealer can’t sell you a cop car straight from Chrysler. I knew that but the sales guy didn’t know that. Strike two…

An ad popped up for a 2018 Pursuit in Missouri for a good price with 12,000 miles on it. I immediately contacted the seller. We kept in touch and I was, again, going to make arrangements to fly there to look and maybe buy the car. I texted the guy several times but he suddenly went silent. Bad sign. He got back to me after a day or two to tell me the car had sold. Strike three… Almost…

At this point I started checking out Charger SXT’s locally. My 2010 Challenger has 347,000 miles on it (that’s not a misprint) but she’s, as we say in the business, EOL (End of Life). As frustrated as I was, I still had the Pursuit in the back of my mind. But, I needed a car. A few days passed after the guy in Missouri had contacted me when I got another text message from him. He had a 2019 AWD Hemi Charger Pursuit, Silver with 11,000 miles on it ready to be “de-commisioned”. Would I be interested? YOU GOT WHAT??

Well, we talked, he held the car for me. Didn’t advertise it. Cost me $25,000 even. The guy is the Fleet manager for a private security company and they’re moving out the Charger’s and switching to Ford Explorers. Granted, 25K is probably close to what they paid for it new, but, at least I got a car with a full service history and most important, a full remaining factory warranty. So I flew out, checked out the car, paid him and drove it home.

Alright now. I’ve had the car ten whole days and put nearly 2400 miles on it. Yes, that’s a lot in a very short period of time. After I bought it, I drove if from Missouri to Cleveland, spent the weekend with family, then pressed on from Cleveland to Massachusetts. For anyone contemplating buying a Pursuit for a daily driver, be warned. This car is a big, stinky brutal brahma bull of a machine that wants to take a dump in your garage and dare you to clean it up!

It’s not really a car in the sense you’d expect. Think about it. A car, you slide into every day, load up the kids for activities, take Aunt Masie to get groceries. That’s normal stuff. A Pursuit? You load up a small child in a baby seat and hit a patch of bad road, that poor thing might get whiplash after a couple of miles. The thing that makes this car so GOOD also conspires to make it so BAD. The suspension is super stiff. You can throw the Pursuit around corners at speed (I’ve done it!) and with the Hemi and AWD, she sticks to the road. Hit an on or off ramp REAL fast, the tires screech but she’ll hold the line safe, flat and steady. Love it! Push on the gas and the Hemi jumps. Yee haw!

But, for every up, there’s a down… Listen to me.

When this jewel hits a rough patch of road, you’re going to wonder just why the Hell you bought this thing. Every bump, tramline, ripple, pothole, expansion joint or crack, you’re going to feel it. The Pursuit suspension doesn’t so much soak up bumps as transmit them to your lower spine though the seat. If the road is REALLY bad, your head and shoulders are going to be thrown around with some measure of violence! That’s no joke. Be grateful you’re strapped in. After my first drive with my wife, she announced she hates it. I’ve since dubbed my car “The Boobshaker”. Use your imagination.

Now, I’m comparing my 2019 Pursuit to my 2010 Challenger SE. Same basic chassis but with a different suspension. It’s a whole different animal. Soaks up bumps, semi-sedate and well mannered. I’m sure the new Charger SXT’s are similar. But then, those are CARS. Real cars. A Pursuit is not a REAL car. I think it’s like a Home Depot axe being compared to a surgical scapel. They both cut but each cuts in a different way. YOU just have to decide how you want to cut. After all, this is a police PURSUIT vehicle. What did you expect?

It so happens, I can live with it. It’s the only way a Hemi is paired up with AWD in a CAR (not an SUV or truck) these days. That’s what I really wanted. Well, I got it. No center console, I can get one. Sound system needs help, I can get new speakers. No Sirius XM, get one. Front seats need support, junkyard set. No fold down back seat, ditto. Rear spoiler, ditto. Road wheels, swap those off of my Challenger. Bonus, the Challenger 3.5L V6 never got better than 25 MPG over the course of it's life. The Hemi Pursuit is getting 24.5 MPG so far! Nine years between models has brought much improved technology.

So the Pursuit is like a blank canvas. Go big, or leave it alone. Out with the old (Challenger SE), in with the new (Charger Pursuit).

My two cents. You've been warned.

Oh, before I forget. My car has a spotlight. Be prepared for people to do WEIRD things when they pull out to pass you on the highway. More than a few times, someone would pull out to pass, come up even with me, see the spotlight and suddenly slow down and drop back. That happened a LOT.

Greg

Attachments

·
Registered
966 Posts
Interesting post! So I have a 2018 Challenger GT, which they say gets it's suspension from the pursuit suspension. However, I have found the GT to have a REALLY nice ride - not "harsh" at ALL. I'm guessing that they modified the suspension in the GT significantly based on your post?? Granted, I put 235/60/18 tires on it, but even with the stock 235/55/19 tires, it also had a really "soft" suspension. I mean it's one hell of a daily driver...

Any insight on the differences between the pursuit suspension and the Challenger GT suspension?

·
Registered
224 Posts
I wish I could tell you. I found a post on the Charger Forum's by a gent that didn't like the ride of his Pursuit so he put Challenger springs in. The Pursuit then sagged in the back and bottomed out. Reason? Pursuit is heavier than the Challenger. That said, I can't tell you much beyond that. Pursuits ride higher in the back than the front. I guess it compensates for the bad boys they put in the back seats and Remington pumps and equipment they carry in the trunk.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
About this Discussion
30 Replies
15 Participants
jtrosky
Dodge Challenger Forum
Challenger Talk, the online forum for discussions, reviews of Dodge Challenger, and all things SRT, Hellcat, and Demon.
Full Forum Listing