Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting a new thread as I just recieved the new 3" AWE catback system. The version I bought is actually for a 6.2/6.4 and not a 5.7 because my headers have 3 inch mid pipes (cam with 2.5 and 2.75 adapters) and I wanted the 2.75" transistion to the H-pipe (yes H-pipe like my stock set-up had...not X-pipe). Now if you look at the AWE site they show the 5.7 kits are for +2015s but if I go by their pictures it really is for +2017 models because the 2015-2016s do not have active exhaust and use different rear exhaust hangers. More info on that here.

Anyways, I just unboxed the kit (total package weight ~70lbs) and here is what was inside (nicely packed).

First layer

Second layer. Note the hanger ends are straight and not perpendicular to the pipe like on 2015-2016 5.7 models (again this kit is for a 6.2/6.4 but I was told the only major difference between the 6.2/6.4 and 5.7 is the H-pipe configuration.) To use them on my 2015 I bought rear hangers for a 2017 RT (68239472AA - Left , 68239473AA - Right).

Hardware in the bubble pack. The AES plates (again 2015-2016 don't have AES) are billet aluminum which I don't need and will probably sell them.

This system is replacing my 2.5" corsa extreme which sounds much better with the mid muffler removed IMO but I think this set-up might get me what I am looking for...more sound and throaty idle. My car runs a magnuson, has a 6.2 cam (really improved the idle/WOT tone), and SW long tube headers with 2" primaries and high flow cats.

Stay tuned as I will be comparing both systems and posting vids up in this thread hopefully in the next couple of days.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,871 Posts
That's a Nice looking exhaust system ChallyTatum! I think that you'll like it with the H-pipe because it'll make your Blown Beast even throatier! What are the billet plates for?

We have the X-pipe Solo one Ruby and I've thought about putting an H-pipe on instead of the X-pipe just because it'll deepen the sound.

I'm looking forward to the video's!

By the way, did AWE give you the Blowpop too?

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's a Nice looking exhaust system ChallyTatum! I think that you'll like it with the H-pipe because it'll make your Blown Beast even throatier! What are the billet plates for?

We have the X-pipe Solo one Ruby and I've thought about putting an H-pipe on instead of the X-pipe just because it'll deepen the sound.

I'm looking forward to the video's!

By the way, did AWE give you the Blowpop too?
Yeah they gave me a blowpop but my daughter would not eat it because she was scared it might be contaminated...her loss...I munched on it on my way to work. :)

The billet plates are for active exhaust motors to trick them into thinking there are valves still in the pipes. I don't need them an will most likely toss them up forsale. Not sure how the motors/plates get secured under the car though?

As for the H-pipe, my manual originally came with an H-pipe and when I swapped to corsa which had the X-pipe I noticed the idle thump was gone but then again it could just all be in my head. I will take pics of the stock set-up as well because it seems to be different than most 2015-2016 systems in terms of H-pipe and mid mufflers.

One thing I need to check is if the stock 5.7 tips will fit? I think they will but part numbers are different between a 5.7 and 6.4...not sure if it is because of the plating (chrome vs black) or if the socket is a phisically different size? If not I might go the Trail hawk tip route.

Why use stock tips? Because it is a PITA to align tips welded onto the exhaust like Corsa had...with stock tips it is cakewalk.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,871 Posts
Yeah they gave me a blowpop but my daughter would not eat it because she was scared it might be contaminated...her loss...I munched on it on my way to work. :)

The billet plates are for active exhaust motors to trick them into thinking there are valves still in the pipes. I don't need them an will most likely toss them up forsale. Not sure how the motors/plates get secured under the car though?

As for the H-pipe, my manual originally came with an H-pipe and when I swapped to corsa which had the X-pipe I noticed the idle thump was gone but then again it could just all be in my head. I will take pics of the stock set-up as well because it seems to be different than most 2015-2016 systems in terms of H-pipe and mid mufflers.

One thing I need to check is if the stock 5.7 tips will fit? I think they will but part numbers are different between a 5.7 and 6.4...not sure if it is because of the plating (chrome vs black) or if the socket is a phisically different size? If not I might go the Trail hawk tip route.

Why use stock tips? Because it is a PITA to align tips welded onto the exhaust like Corsa had...with stock tips it is cakewalk.
I'm Sorry, but I'm with your daughter and you should be Proud of her for not taking candy from strangers! Now, her Dad...........Hmmmm! :D In your defense though, blowpop's are pretty good, especially when you get to the gum!

I'm looking forward to hearing how that exhaust sounds with your headers and blower! I'll bet it's going to sound like the gates of Hell were opened up!

One of the reasons that we went with the Solo and changed exhaust was the fact that I wanted to run a pair of 4" polished tips on Ruby. I think that they make her look sportier and just plain Nasty from the back. Not too mention that they're different from stock and I like having different. I diodn't think that they were too bad to line up but it helps that my Wife has a built in level in her head! It's actually quite amazing and kind of freaky because the maximum that she's been off was 1/16th of an inch (I've level checked when we hung some pictures)!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
And just as I suspected (and should have known) the 2015 OEM tips won't fit. Looks like I am going to have to source some trackhawk tips and clamps too.

I don't get it some sites show the same clamp for 5.7/6.2/6.4 and not just for +2017 models?

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,871 Posts
I got our tips off of eBay before the Trackhawk came out and in my opinion, they are nicer. They have a 3" inlet to fit our exhaust diameter and a pair of 4" dual wall outlets that I like to call Trumpets. They're polished, which is what I wanted, but if you wanted black, it's just a trip to your powdercoater or an Eastwood kit away. I think that they look Fantastic on Ruby and have a big and muscular look that belongs on our Challenger's.

These are weld on, so you have to make sure that they're straight but if you take your time that shouldn't be a problem.

Just an option and my opinion.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,871 Posts
By the way ChallyTatum, I'm Really interested in hearing your opinion of how your Beast sounds with the H-pipe installed. I've been thinking about changing our x-pipe over to an H-pipe just for the reason that she'll sound deeper and more ticked off, but I might lose a bit of power (not a big deal because it's mostly power on a dyno and not seat of the pants power).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I have everything to assembly the system but now I just need to make some vids. Work has been kicking my arse as we just let go of 28 people (~10% of our workforce) so I am literally working 110%.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,871 Posts
So I have everything to assembly the system but now I just need to make some vids. Work has been kicking my arse as we just let go of 28 people (~10% of our workforce) so I am literally working 110%.
I'm Sorry to hear about your company having to let people go! That's Never a good thing, but I'm Glad to hear that you weren't one of them!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well crap, it's raining over here...I knew I should have gone to work yesterday but the forcast called for storms in the late afternoon. Oh well maybe I will finally fix the dam air/oil separator leak.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
OK, so went to work today and brought my Nikon 5100 DSLR and tripod only to find out sound quality was crap...it's like the audio clips when I rev the engine. Used my samsung S8 and grabbed 2 videos with the current exhaust on the car which is corsa extreme with mid muffler delete. Used my works parking lot to take a vid of warm start-up and a 2nd gear launch (did not mean to do a burnout and I lifted the throttle a little but then was like F'it...did not have it floored as I did not want to have it bouncing off the rev limiter). As you can tell my tune is still not 100% at low idle but I will say the air tables I grabbed and modified from Hemituna on HP tuners makes the throttle waaay more responsive.

Corsa extreme with mid muffler delete warm startup.

Corsa extreme with mid muffler delete 2nd gear launch.

Car is now on wheel cribs cooling down so I can finally install the AWE exhaust (also does not have mid mufflers but is 3" instead of 2.5"). Hoping to capture vids to do a 1 to 1 comparison.

Here is the link to the actual vids edited from the phone. Vimeo apparently re-encodes the vids.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,871 Posts
Thanks for the videos ChallyTatum! There is nothing wrong with how that exhausts sounds! It's got a Nice deep rumble to it and sounds Great when you revved her up too and even better when you let the Big Dogs eat (Burn out at the end)!

What wheels do you have on there and what size are they? They look Fantastic with the White Knuckle!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the videos ChallyTatum! There is nothing wrong with how that exhausts sounds! It's got a Nice deep rumble to it and sounds Great when you revved her up too and even better when you let the Big Dogs eat (Burn out at the end)!

What wheels do you have on there and what size are they? They look Fantastic with the White Knuckle!
Thanks man! Just to be clear the exhaust is still Corsa...AWE has yet to be installed. I am a little disappointed how the vids turned out but when plan A failed and the 90F heat was beating me down that's all I could muster. BTW the corsa set-up was identical to what I had when I did not have the cam and headers installed. As you will hear in the vid below it was a bit trumpety. But the headers and cam made it more...muscle. So did futzing with the air tables to make the throttle open quicker...also closes quicker too and does not seem to hang as bad when they were stock.

The tires are 315/35-20 Nitto 555 and they spin with ease even in 2nd on a hot summer day.

BTW got the corsa off but the header adapters are kicking my butt...they are really stuck on the headers.

·
Registered
2015 SRT 392
2,871 Posts
You're Welcome! I'ts got to be a bear laying under a car with today's heat! Please Be Careful and stay hydrated if you crawl underneath that Beast!

I knew that it was still the Corsa, but it does sound good to me! I'm looking forward to hearing the AWE once you get it installed. That cam does sound good too. It's got a nice mellow lope to it that works well on a Musclecar!

What brand and size are your wheels? I'd guess that the backs are 10.5" or 11" wide by the size of the tires that you have. They do look good!

What do the header adapters look like? Do they slip on or bolt on? If slip on, can you apply a little heat to the outside of them to help them expand and then try to use a hammer and some type of punch bar?

I'm trying to imagine what header adapters look like.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You're Welcome! I'ts got to be a bear laying under a car with today's heat! Please Be Careful and stay hydrated if you crawl underneath that Beast!

I knew that it was still the Corsa, but it does sound good to me! I'm looking forward to hearing the AWE once you get it installed. That cam does sound good too. It's got a nice mellow lope to it that works well on a Musclecar!

What brand and size are your wheels? I'd guess that the backs are 10.5" or 11" wide by the size of the tires that you have. They do look good!

What do the header adapters look like? Do they slip on or bolt on? If slip on, can you apply a little heat to the outside of them to help them expand and then try to use a hammer and some type of punch bar?

I'm trying to imagine what header adapters look like.
The wheels are the factory repo demons 10.5". The adapters just go from 3" to 2.5" and slip on just like the OEM exhaust. Tried heat and an aluminum mallet but they are not budging. Might just take the cats off too as I can see some soot on the driver side so I need to reseal anyways. The heat is killer and I stopped as the sun is just beaming in thru the garage (door faces west).

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Spent the morning blowing apart the exhaust. My wet "balls" thermometer indicated 90% rh even at 8 am. Those adapters were on there tight. Anyways thought I would capture some comparison picks just before I packed up the corsa setup to sell. Something tells me the AWE is going to be loud. :D

Left side is AWE resonator and right side is corsa. Note the hanger differences. As I pointed out, pre-2017 RTs have a different hanger set-up than 6.2/6.4/2017+ 5.7s.

Left side is AWE mid-muffler delete pipe, right side is corsa with both my mid-muffler delete pipe and the corsa mid muffler.

Left side is AWE H-pipe with SW 3 to 2.75 adapters. Right side is corsa X-pipe with SW 3 to 2.5 adapters.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts