Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Well I got on it to pass people which got me noticed right away. I have no issues cutting up the new exhaust to install mufflers but I want to avoid welding so I can just swap out mufflers or straight pipe just like I had on the corsa setup (I really should toss the corsa in the for sale section as it is all boxed up). From inside the car and windows down I think AWE sounds bad arse...although the neighbor kid thought I had installed cut-outs which tells me it is probably too loud now. :)

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,570 Posts
Why not wait until/if you actually get dinged for it? May never hear a word about it ever again for all you know

A Guy

Reactions: grey_hemi

·
Registered
228 Posts
I’m late and finally catching up how’s the exhaust? Would you recommend it?
I was thinking short headers plus the track version

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I like the AWE exhaust over the Corsa...way more aggressive which is probably due to the 1/2" increase in size. I also prefer the H-pipe tone at idle as it sounds more pulsed...for lack of a better word. My stock exhaust came with an H-pipe and when I switched to the corsa which had an X-pipe it seemed to smooth things out.

Now a normal person would wait until they get a ticket for having a loud exhaust but you all know I ain't normal. In fact, I feel like a kid trying different combinations of cardboard on the spokes of my bicycle. I call tinkering with the exhaust a hobby...wife calls it a sickness.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #45 (Edited)
Well the pipes with mufflers came in on Friday and I installed them over the weekend. The mufflers are ~14" long with an OD of ~4" (basically look like small glass packs). Anyways, I put them on and was really shocked on how they tamed the exhaust. The Corsa mufflers were longer and had a much bigger diameter and really muffled the heck out of the exhaust. What I like about the AWE is I really don't get much rumble in the cabin (still sounds like all exhaust sound is coming from the rear bumper), in fact it is pretty quiet inside during cruise with the windows rolled up. It is pretty surprising how much the mid mufflers effect tone and volume level. I am so far really happy with this whole set-up. I have a vid but which I will post up but again it does not do justice to the way the system really sounds. At least to the point I don't feel the need to mess with the exhaust again anytime soon.

Now it is definitely time for me to sell the corsa extreme and the blastin bob pipes as I have 2 big boxes from AWE to help me get rid of them. :)

OK here is the vid with AWE mid mufflers installed.

·
Registered
6,007 Posts
I noticed that since the LT headers install my modified stock exhaust is pretty dang loud and getting louder the more I drive it. When I nail it on a bridge or near one of those concrete dividers it sounds, well awesome. It is Stock 2015 R/T A8 exhaust with thrush welded mufflers and resonator straight piped. One thing I love is I can hit the sweet spot on the highway where I can't hear my wife. :D Shhhh I love that woman but she will complain about her job on the only day she has off and she won't quit no matter how often I ask her to.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,570 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #48 (Edited)
So took all the launch vids and grabbed the audio from each and compared them. Wish I would have done this more controlled and with a better recording device besides a samsung S9 cellphone but here are the spectrums of each exhaust. AWE without mufflers does appear to be the loudest and with the mufflers there is significant attenuation in the 1000 to 8000 Hz range. Problem with the corsa recording is some tire squeal is present but goes to show that 3" exhaust is a tick louder than 2.5". I am wondering if the low frequency difference is attributed to the rear resonator design? Corsa appears to be a 1/4 wave (J pipe) whereas the AWE appears to be a helmholtz (pipe with 2 holes running through a chamber) design. I would not read to much into this just trying to add some hand-waving science to my ramblings.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts