1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone...
Just had to get on here and tell all about my exhaust install-
I have a 2010 RT manual
I installed the Borla LT headers (for the SRT)
and the flowmaster 817499 american thunder catback (also for the SRT)

I went with the 3 inch all the way back... WOW. TRUE AMERICAN MUSCLE sound.:thumbsup:Everyone with an rt should be buying the 3 inch systems.
Ive read other threads about 4-6 hour installs. My buddy and i, with the help of his lift did the headers and the catback in just under 3 hours. We never had to take off the cold air intake, or the coolant res. Everything went in easy right from underneath. Easy as pie. But we had to cut off 1/2 inch from the tailpipe that went into the muffler to make it fit. Other than that the hardest part was contorting arms and wrists to get the header bolts started.
We decided to go without a gasket- we just put on a little silicone and torqued it down snug.

Does anyone know if i can clear the Check engine light with my Diablo sport tuner??

Hope this was encouraging to those who are scared to put on some LT's

The Sound is insane.... VIDEO TO FOLLOW

·
Registered
676 Posts
Can't wait to hear it! Sounds like a pretty sweet set-up.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hey Everyone...
I have a 2010 RT manual

I went with the 3 inch all the way back... WOW. TRUE AMERICAN MUSCLE sound.:thumbsup:Everyone with an rt should be buying the 3 inch systems.
Ive read other threads about 4-6 hour installs. My buddy and i, with the help of his lift did the headers and the catback in just under 3 hours. We never had to take off the cold air intake, or the coolant res. Everything went in easy right from underneath. Easy as pie. But we had to cut off 1/2 inch from the tailpipe that went into the muffler to make it fit. Other than that the hardest part was contorting arms and wrists to get the header bolts started.
We decided to go without a gasket- we just put on a little silicone and torqued it down snug.

Does anyone know if i can clear the Check engine light with my Diablo sport tuner??

If you have long tubes, did you cat delete ? If you're trying to stop the O2 codes with a preditor the answer is yes, BUT ...

If you have an older one you can just turn them off even with the canned tunes. BUT if you have a newer one, it will take a CMR tune to do it. CMR tune is better anyway especially with headers and free flow exhaust.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yea i did take the CATS off. I personally dont believe in cats. As long as theres oil under north dakota i will burn the overpriced fuel the way i want. LOL. Im not really sure if i have a new tuner or not... it was just bought last week and it was the only one available for the Hemi. Ill do some research and see exactly what model i bought.

BTW - what the heck is a CMR?

·
Registered
323 Posts
yea i did take the CATS off. I personally dont believe in cats. As long as theres oil under north dakota i will burn the overpriced fuel the way i want. LOL. Im not really sure if i have a new tuner or not... it was just bought last week and it was the only one available for the Hemi. Ill do some research and see exactly what model i bought.

BTW - what the heck is a CMR?

A CMR tune is a custom tune for the DSP. You have a new preditor so you will need a CMR tune in order to get rid of the post cat O2 checking / MIL's. There's a bunch of vendors that do that, modular depot is one. I have one of their CMR tunes, it works extremely well and even addressed some other issues. You can get this tune via email, or if you want to spend the extra $$$ many dyno operators around have the ability to do CMR tunes as well.

--CC

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AWESOME... thank you sir.

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

I love this forum!:bigthumb:

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hey awesome man! Can't wait to hear it!

on my 2011 R/T GWE I am going with

JBA shorty headers
Flowmaster high flow cats
Solo Cat backs

Anyone know if should I expect exhaust codes to be thrown with this set up? :scratchhead:

I hope not! Because the tuning is available yet to clear um! :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
do you know what mufflers come with the cat back system??? i have the super 40's and they sound great. I would strongly suggest going with the exhaust made Specificly for the SRT8.... They have 3" pipes.

I did a sound comparison with an rt with the 2 1/2 inch setup and mine sounded way more throaty. The 3 inch on the RT also makes a distinct muscle car "howl" at the 2200 Rpm range. It sounds fricking insane. I almost had to go home and change my pants after driving it the first time.

You might need 02 censor extensions.... and i would recomend spending a little extra cash and get the long tubes with high flow catted midpipes.

Hope i could help

·
Registered
204 Posts
Solo uses one muffler for the cat backs - here's a vid

I decided to go with them for the cat backs because there is no drone, they are about half the price of Corsa, I have never read a review on these forums of people who didn't love them to death, and that absolutely nasty "Cackle" that is so distinctive and unique. But one of the reasons solo is less expensive is that it uses a little lower grade of steel that will oxidize over time so there will be some surface discoloraion that you won't get with the more expensive systems.

I would have gone with Solo for their mids as well but the price for the flowmaster was so low ($413) compared to other options I couldn't ignore them (and solo hasn't released their mids yet).

jba headers are also super inexpensive for the boost over stock; long tube versus short tube is also some trad offs from what I have read so I opted for the less expensive and hopefully simple solution.

3 inch pipes will also be nice! That's gonna be great - you will have tons of room to grow with that and I don't think exhaust will ever be a bottle neck! Since I just will have a 2011 R/T there is no way that my exhaust will be choking the performance of my engine; at least not until I add a blower, cam, huge throttle intake, CAI, aggressive tune etc. As it is it would take a lot to outgrow any performance after market exhaust! :D

It's cool that between the brands, headers, mids (cats or catless) and cat backs anyone can engineer a unique sound to their Challenger :D

thank you vendors!

:thumbsup:

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hey Everyone...
I have a 2010 RT manual

Stoogie – We’re glad you like your new exhaust system and that Flowmaster is a part of it. We look forward to seeing your video and hearing your awesome exhaust.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.