Dodge Challenger Forum banner
5K views 7 replies 2 participants last post by  ChallyTatum 
#1 ·
Hello Mopar Team,

I lifted my car only to find out that my rear driver side axle boot is leaking. So my dealership changed the entire axle shaft and guess what? It run good for a while but after a week the grease kept coming up again surrounding the active exhaust knob. I took it to a local shop to find out if its leaking , and yes it is leaking again. I wonder why would it leak on a new 2017 challenger 392. In case it was a faulty and I changed it, so why would it leak again in the second time. Not sure whats going on. Anyone else have had similar experience?

Here is a pic how ot looks like:

https://ibb.co/cUaUax

Also one more thing... My car is 10000 miles now, so should i ask my dealership to clean the intake manifolds for better performance? How often should the intake manifolds be cleaned? Would any dodge dealership do it? What is the expense incurred?

See less See more
#2 ·
Axle boots leaking seems to be a common problem. I had 16k miles on my RT when I noticed the passenger side, outer joint seal failed. I just added grease and reclamped it. Did you replace the entire shaft or just the boot.

As for cleaning the intake manifold, they are difficult to clean completely free of oil...probably charge you 1-2 hours labor. It's the oil from the PCV getting mixed with the air/fuel charge and causes carbon build up on the pistons that robs power more than the oil coating on the intake walls. I would just use the money to install a catch can.

#3 ·
Thank you for your advice. I appreciate it.

1. They changed the entire axle shaft. A new one. There is no way it would break, just been a month. I am not sure whats happening. But is it possible that the vent above the seal might cause the issue.?

2. I have a catch can installed at 2000 miles. But I am thinking if there is any way to clean it as summer is coming near and it would be nice to get this done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.