Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does this go here? Not sure if this is the right section... but long story short I bought a wrecked 2013 R/T Challenger that I’m going to body swap with either a 1970 B body or E body most likely. I don’t have the donor yet, but looking for the right one to pop up. I plan to keep all drive train and suspension, and see how much of the interior I can keep. There will be a lot of trial and error with this project. I’ve pulled most of the interior, and will have to start cutting pieces up here soon.. I’m getting ready to pull the dash out, everything is disconnected but the steering column, which I’ll try to pull next time I can get in the garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Now I have a car to accept all these “new” parts. The ‘13 body is just about ready to come off. I have to dismount the ac compressor and condensor because I don’t think I can remove that without a lot of hacking or blowing a bunch of Freon everywhere.. But everything else is about ready to drop. I’m going to try to drop everything at once: rear suspension, front suspension, trans, motor, all connected.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
915 Posts
Well done finding the donor car, I was thinking that was going to be the hard part! Now that you have it the hard parts are all ahead of you, I will be following with interest.

·
Registered
955 Posts
Good luck man, the modern LC platform is longer and a little narrower than the original e-body so there will be some creative engineering involved

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good luck man, the modern LC platform is longer and a little narrower than the original e-body so there will be some creative engineering involved
Thanks for the tip, I’m imagining I’ll run into problems like that with just about everything on this build. There will be plenty of head scratching..

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The body has been separated! It took a long time just disconnecting everything and shuffling the jack and the stands around to get the suspension safely to the ground. It’s definitely worth while to have several sets of jackstands on hand. Other than that, didn’t really have any major problems come up. Now just gotta figure out how to get the body out of my garage...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9,660 Posts
What’s cool is the donor car was at one time someone’s pride and joy and when your done the finished project will be your pride and joy and with an immense feeling of satisfaction.
Car guys have such creative visions, there are always obstacles but in the end you stand back and just say WOW, look what I did.
Good luck to you and I look forward to more progress pictures and the finished product.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What’s cool is the donor car was at one time someone’s pride and joy and when your done the finished project will be your pride and joy and with an immense feeling of satisfaction.
Car guys have such creative visions, there are always obstacles but in the end you stand back and just say WOW, look what I did.
Good luck to you and I look forward to more progress pictures and the finished product.
Thanks, I’m looking forward to the next steps, actually get to see everything start to come together (after I strip the old challenger anyway)

Now just gotta figure out how to get the body out of my garage...
3 or 4 strong friends and a flatbed.
There’s a good chance that might happen.. also thinking about putting some pvc pipe down under it so it can roll; one of my buddies has a winch on his car trailer, so we might be able to pull it up that way

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I moved the ‘13 body out, but it was a very slow process in order to make it as “safe” as I could. Used an engine hoist to lift it by the front ‘frame’ horns, had a jack under the back acting as a dolly, and a wooden spool I had from running power to the garage. The spool was placed under the car on its side to allow it to roll over it while still providing some support, and of course I had several jackstands around the car just in case...

I degreased and power washed the suspension and drivetrain from the ‘13, and then started pulling the ‘73 k member with motor and trans. As of right now I have it all dropped down under the car but the driver side torsion bar will not come out.

My plan is to finish removing ‘73 susp and drivetrain, and then move the ‘13 under it to start figuring out how to mount everything. Then, cut the firewall for steering column, brake booster, etc.. Once all that is hung I’ll start trying to figure out mounting the HVAC, dash, seats, console, and such. Once everything is roughed in I will probably remove it all again and take the body in for any body repair and get it painted before final assembly.

Attachments

·
Registered
522 Posts
Wow...what a project!

Looking forward to following this one *subscribing*

·
Registered
676 Posts
Have you watched the Grease Monkey Garage episode where they retrofitted a Scat Pack engine in an old "71 R/T??? Might get some helpful hints from there! Here's a preview......

My bad, your planning is to do a body swap on the new frame! They more or less did an engine swap and some other things using the old frame & body!! Oh well! It's was still an interesting episode! :wink3:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My bad, your planning is to do a body swap! They more or less did an engine swap and some other things using the old frame & body!! Oh well! It's still was a good episode! /forums/images/ChallengerTalk_2014/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
I did hear about that, haven’t had the chance to actually watch it though. Maybe I’ll go try to find it, any extra info/tips wouldn’t hurt.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I dont know how far along you are (or the condition of the older car) but beings your going down to damn near the bare frame either which way you go, it might be more valuable in the end if you used the older models frame and body instead of hacking the old body up to make it fit, that's just a thought! Either way you go though it ought to be an interesting experiment and one neat ride when finished!!

Oh and I just was reading an article where he is going to do or already has done a hellcat swap in an older model also.......

https://gasmonkeygarage.com/1970-dodge-challenger-gets-707hp-hellcat-engine/

https://www.hotrod.com/articles/1970-challenger-meet-first-ever-non-hack-hellcat-swap/

1 - 20 of 87 Posts