Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had an accident awhile back, hit a dog on the highway at night causing damage to the front end of the car. Insurance broght it to the Dodge dealer where I purchased it and they did the repair, except for one problem. When they repainted the new front bumper cover it did not match. They repainted it again and said it was done but when I picked it up it was still way off. After taliking with the manager he asked if I could wait a month or two until they finished their new paint booth and they would take care of it, dropped it off last week and they called me Friday, bad news he says, it is further off than before, can we blend it in to the fenders. I said no way until I see it. Has anyone else had any paint problems, it seems like the dealer should be able to match it up but after three tries I am trying to figure out what to do next.

·
Registered
244 Posts
I'm about to find out. My B5 has a paint defect from the factory that is getting fixed today. they have to re-paint the roof at the dealer. Personally, I wouldn't let them blend the fenders. If they can't get the damn bumper right the blend won't be done right.

·
Premium Member
2,072 Posts
B5 is a really heavy paint ... and the bumper is actually a plastic as opposed to the fenders and hood which is a metal, so that is the main reason the color is off (that or their paint guy is a newb)

·
Registered
161 Posts
I spent 30 years as a professional painter.I did a small spot repair to my own B5 RT recently.It was a little tricky to match,but no more difficult than any other color.It also has nothing to do with the plastic versus steel concept.
The brand of base color coat is important.If they are using DuPont,for instance,it is advisable to now use PPG or vice versa.This is because the formulation is a closely guarded secret that not all paint manufacturers can duplicate,even with the best of talent at the dealership.Unfortunately,the one and only way to assure an undetectable match is through careful blending of the surrounding areas,a standard procedure that I wouldn't do at this point.You may need to take it to an independent shop that is more accustomed to dealing with this sort of situation.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Remember a flex additive must be added to the clear which will change the color slightly. Most shops forget or dont add so you paint comes off easy after a repaint. Its very hard to panel paint a car but it can be done. I did a 911 once and it took all day and 9 test panels to get it right. The thing that worries me is that the panel has been painted to many times the paint is getting too thick.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am going by today when I get off to check it out. The manager told me they had the paint guys from PPG there and several oters trying to figure out what is going on. The last time the top of the bumper cover was very good match with the hood but on the sides is where you really noticed the difference. And I sure dont want two different colors blending in together, I think that would probably make the problem worse. I am thinking that may be my only option is to go to someone that does custom paint and hopefully thay can do a better job, but you would think the dealer should have no problems. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm waiting for my car to come back from the paint shop. Had a slight ding in the hood and needed a repaint after repair. This was also and apparent factory defect so will see how it looks. I talked to the guy that did the paint last week and he said it looked great........we will see

·
Registered
161 Posts
As an added note,
Flex agents were used years ago in acrylic enamels and lacquers.It was possible but not likely that they would affect the color.Nowadays,everything is painted with urethane products which have enough flexibility as a characteristic that additional flex additives are not necessary and seldom used.
I would hate to be the painter in the middle of this mess,recoating over and over is very problematic in itself, as reactions can occur between the solvents in the new paint and the fresh clear coat.And he's only getting paid about $50 for all this too.
And when the color matches well in one angle but not the other,we call that the "face" and "flop".Unfortunately there is not much to correct that other than blending.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I had the same issue. Apparently my car was painted twice from the factory. I had a boo boo with the garage door, and when they took it down to the metal, they found in this order (Clear, Paint, Clear, Paint, Primer, Metal). Making it very difficult to match. They finally did after feathering it in and such.

But now I was rear ended a month ago, and they just painted and put on the new bumper.... it isn't even close. Going back today to talk to the manager.

Ryan

·
Registered
73 Posts
I am a PPG sales rep, and i can attest that some colors just dont match w/out blending no matter what brand of paint is used. i know that no one likes to blend, but sometimes it has to be done. i can tell u that all Chrylser/Dodge vehicles are now painted with PPG Waterborne Basecoats in the Factory. If it is PPG products they are using at this dealership, i would ask them if its PPG Waterborne. If so it will be ALOT easier to match because thats whats on Dodge from the factory. This could also be a painter experience problem. i go to 30 shops a week and see some guys that can tint their own paint to make almost anything match, and then others with less experience struggle with situations just like these. U might have a painter who is just picking different variances and painting them, instead of doing his sprayout cards and tinting his color to get a better match. let me know im curious as to what they say.

·
Registered
558 Posts
There was a string about a year ago that told how you could purchase a complete nose already painted in B5. Might look that up as a last resort. Butt matches are difficult, especially with as much metalic as B5 has in it.

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
When I got my B5 SRT8 home the first day I noticed a scratch on the bumper. I brought it back and they painted the front bumper perfectly for me. Sounds like your dealer is incompetent.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went by and checked my car out when I got off yesterday and met with the body shop and dealership managers. They are using PPG paint and just so happened there was a PPG rep in Baton Rouge and they asked him to come by the shop on his way back to Dallas. They even had him work with them and mixed 8 - 10 combinations and tried but could not get a perfect match and contacted other dealers in the area to see if they had problems but no one else has done a car in this color yet. They both said this is a very tricky color due to variations depending on light conditions and their suggestion and the PPG rep is to blend it in with the formula that had the closest match. They ordered new stripes and emblems for the fenders and will be starting on it today, keeping my fingers crossed.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Definitely the right thing to do at this point.They may wish to color and clear into the fenders from the upper peak line down.Against the hood.well,that's best left the way it is.
FYI- In the past I have blended as a standard procedure.But,the customer was rarely ever aware of it.There was never a problem,they just assumed the paint was a perfect match,which it then was.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I really don't know enough about it but when they mentioned blending I was thinking like half of fender is one color and the other half a different color. But while I was there he showed me an example of a blend they did on a repair of a white SUV and you could not tell any difference. I had forgotten my wife's brother in law used to paint custom jobs on 18 wheelers and like you mentioned he said that there were times he had to blend it in and looking at it no knew the difference. Thank you for the info jim r

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
... is the dog okay?

Reactions: tlaloque

·
Registered
193 Posts
Flex additives are still used. I painted with Glasurit and Diamont and they both use them. They do tend to yellow the clear slightly. Panel painted either way is very difficult. The whole front clip would have to be sprayed if painting the bumper.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Like the PPG rep said Ive seen guys mess up black cars. Blue and brown blacks look very different when you put the wrong one on a car. I also worked at a supply place for yrs so all I did was custom mixes. Most painters dont have the time or patience to panel paint.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I did about 10 spot repairs on a black ford a few years ago.It looked perfect inside under fluorescent lights.When I met the customer outdoors in the sun,we were both shocked to see the difference .The poor car looked like a leopard.Oh well,that's how we learn.Nothing matches perfectly panel to panel.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts