Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to pull the trigger on a Mopar intake for my 6.1L but I'm completely stuck trying to decide which one to get!!

Short Ram CAI: It's cheaper, easier to install, still looks bad ass!

Long Ram/Fender CAI: little harder to install (do i REALLY have to cut & splice wires??) little more money, risk of sucking up water, BUT more cold air, more HP (in theory), something different (I had the short ram Mopar intake on my 2 other SRT-8's and didn't really notice any difference).

I need you guys to convince me one way or the other!

Anyone with these intakes please drop your $0.02 in here!

Thanks!

·
Registered
402 Posts
My $0.02... from a previous vehicle, the long tube is likely to be a b&#ch to change the filter. Though, with the shorty's, if you're just sucking air from the engine bay, seems kind of pointless yeah? The point of a "cold air intake" is to get more, dense, cooler air. If you're looking for engine bay bling - shorty's great. If you're going for performance gains, I'd probably go the long route.

Also wouldn't worry about sucking up water unless you foresee running your car through more than a foot of water (or enough to completely submerge the filter). If that's the case, AEM makes great systems (from experience) & has a "bypass valve" available for them - guessing it could also fit a Mopar system.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I went with the long ram mopar CAI. Figured if I was going to the trouble, might as well get the real deal by having a fender mounted CAI to get whatever real benefits come with colder air coming through. The way it's mousted, I'm not concerned with water getting in. Thought it might tend to get dirtier but after a couple months, the filter still looks brand new. Looks and sounds good too. As for install, I took the easy way out and paid my dealer $50 to install it, that way no question about warranty and they said they would remove/replace filter during routine maintenance without charging extra. With a bad back, was $50 well spent.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey bro i'd advice to get the short ram intake. I put 4 short ram intakes on previous cars and they react good. I had done some research and truth is that the long would MAYBE give you 1 - 2hp MAX in comparison with the short. Save money time and struggle and get yourself a short. Long CAI require cutting and putting what is called a Bypass Valve which looks like a sponge so ur car won't hydrolock if it sucks water. So just think about it....is 1 or 2 hp worth in a rainy day? I thought not and got me a chrome intake from Ebay. hope this helps you. take care

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
I went with the long on the theory of getting true cold air. It isn't that bad of an install with the right tools. I did intone evening in about an hour and a half taking lots of breaks for dinner and a doors light or two. The splicing isn't bad and the directions are easy to follow. As for the water issue mine is a daily driver and we have had some nasty spring thunder storms down south and knock on wood I have had no problems.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
It appears that the different in gains between the two would be negligible. I'd go with the short air, Airaid brand one.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Which one did you go with Ironside? I am having the same concern. I'm leaning towards the short CAI just because it seems easier to clean...

·
Banned
262 Posts
If you are only concerned about looks go for the short CAI.The long CAI will help you maintain your horsepower during heatsoak.

Back to back runs at the track with no cool downs netted the same time and mph with my CAI, on another post here a member also observed no loss in power compared to a short tube CAI.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I haven't picked one yet, but i'm thinking about just going with the short one for the easier install, good looks and cheaper price!

·
Registered
432 Posts
I recommend the Stack Performance CAI. Long CAI design, and no wire splicing required, they supply the IAT wire extension that just clips in.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I went with the shortie. Looks good, easy to install and maintain. I had a concern about ingesting water with the long CAI, as well as maintenance. The heat under the hood was not a concern. With the Classics and SRT you have functioning hood scoops, which blasts the engine compartment with air.

·
Registered
999 Posts
i prefer the look of the short intake and am waiting for mine to arrive. i have a t/a hood so will see the benefit of short over long in this instance

1 - 14 of 14 Posts