Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2013 RT Classic
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just could not stand the stock sound any more!

I have been reading a lot here and Blastin Bob came up many times. I googled his shop and it turns out that Allied Muffler, the home of Blastin Bob, was only a few miles away!

His shop is very clean and well setup but in an older building using the type of vehicle holding device that never needs servicing, the pit.

We talked for a while and he let me listen to his car, a very nice red Challenger. The exhaust note was perfect. I wanted that great sound but was not looking to make a performance difference, even stock the RT has plenty of go.

We struck a deal and made an appointment to have the exhaust installed. I arrived right at 3;00 PM as we had setup, the car went straight over the pit and the deed was done!

It hurt too much to make the first cut myself but Bob didn't have an issue with it LOL! Out came the saw and in minutes, the old units were out of the car, not too much later the new was in and I was down the road:king:

As I pulled into the garage at home for the first time, my son came out (5 years in the Navy waiting for a new job in Georga so he is home for a little while, not gonna lie, I like him home :D). His room is next to the garage and he said that there was NO problem knowing when I was pulling in, the Bass reverb that came through the wall left no doubt that the car was in the garage!

I went with Bob's "most quiet" setup, one that is "wife approved" and I am much more than happy with the result!
These are the units I went with.

Dodge Challenger 5.7L 4X9 Magnaflow w/DW dual tips

I was in too much of a good mood to hear her to get a last pic all done but it was worth the money!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2013 RT Classic
537 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
With the full install, tax and labor (it will be a little less if you DIY,) it was about $575.

The cabin noise did go up but it is not so much a drone but just being able to hear the exhaust. It is not LOUD inside by any means but you do hear it. The radio at moderate levels is easily heard though in the background, the tone is still there. I am sure if you turn the volume half way to "party" loud, you would not hear it at all :p

As my car is an automatic, it has the ECO shift between 4 and 8 cylinders, you can hear the difference in the sound between the two modes, when in ECO, it is a slightly choppier sound as there are half the power pulses with 4 than there are with 8, this mostly happens at highway speed where the system drops into 4 cylinder mode. It is not "bad" just slightly different than when you go into 8 and the note lets you know that all 8 are producing power and if you step on it, it is a satisfying sound indeed.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thats great, thanks for the info. I might have to go down there and meet good ol Blastin Bob, since I live in Los Angeles. I just checked out the website. I have an auto R/T too. Love the car, but the sound is just too tame for me. I havent done any mods yet, I would like to get a tuner to turn off the dang MDS. Too bad most places wont ship tuners to California. Thanks again.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts