Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Hellraisin Scat Pack
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2020 Scat Pack is repaired. Picked it up last night.

For why it required repairs, see this thread:

You got to be kidding me! My parked Scat Pack hit!

Anyhow, the car went from this:

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Grille Plant

To this:

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Yeah, 2nd pic not very good. But I got the call the car would be ready to pick up at 5:30pm last night and due to traffic was a few minutes late in getting to the shop. I had a rental car I had to photograph and note odometer miles and fuel tank level before I could focus on the car.

Gave the car a quick inspection and check and found nothing to not like about the repairs. A more detailed inspection will happen as soon as it can but snow is forecast for today and off and on this week. I might mange to get the car to the dealer to have it inspected there.

Car drove fine. None of the running gear sustained any damage. No vital fluid systems sustained any damage.

The accident caused something to scrape the A/C condenser created a band of bent over fins but did not puncture the condenser. The condenser was replaced with a factory part and the A/C system checked for any leaks and none were found.

All factory parts were used in repairing the car. Front bumper cover and some other plastic pieces under/behind the bumper cover. Driver side head light. Head light brackets. Driver side front fender. The hood was not replaced, but repaired. But replacement stickers were ordered and the hood looks factory, well it is factory except it had a bent corner straightened and received some paint work.

After my inspection settled into the driver's seat. 'course, seat out of position -- I miss my Porsche Turbo with its seat memory/mirror memory!

Got the seat and mirrors adjusted. Fired up the engine. Fired right up and ran ok.

Set the climate control to 72F and turned on auto climate.

Checked odometer. No miles were added to the car.

The biggest problem was I was out of practice driving the car and it took some getting used to. 'course, I took it easy.

Got home with no drama.

Car is parked in a garage.

A complaint... The back up sensors are too damned sensitive. I damn went deaf (deafer) from the alarms. The back up sensors reacted to the shrubbery on either side of garage door. Then they didn't like the closeness of the garage door frames. As I got into the garage the garage walls caused the sensors to continue with the alarming. As I had to back the car in quite a ways to make sure the overhead door wouldn't hit the car the back wall of the garage has the sensors alarming.

In backing the car in it was one big prolonged parking proximity alarm fest.

Being paranoid that I was about to bump/scrape something it took me minutes -- it seemed like -- to back the car into the garage.

And I'm a bit OCD. You can't see them in the pic but I have 4 spring mouse traps along the floor/wall baited with a smear of peanut butter for just in case. The complex where I live has a pest control service and it does a fine job. But just to be safe... With bad weather forecast for today and off and on this coming week the car might sit for several days or more with no use.

Now I can think about what to do going forward. In the past I would keep the car and just drive it.

But I just bought the car new in November. Now I have to "live" with the fact my new car has been in an accident. Yeah, I'm lucky the damage while ugly was not severe.

So rather than keeping the car I am seriously considering trading it in to the dealer where I bought the car for a new 2020 Scat Pack. One hang up is I don't believe the dealer has a similar car in stock. I would prefer to stay with the Hellraisin color, but could accept a car in any color except black. While black Challengers (and Chargers) look cool in black, black is a high maintenance color and I just do not have the setup to keep the car clean and waxed like black requires.

Also, like my current car, I want the replacement car to be equipped with a 6-speed. My current car has a sunroof. I am neutral on this. While I don't use the sunroof its presence does not bother me. I drove a Porsche Turbo for 8 years and 150K mile and all the time with a sunroof and it was no big deal.

My current car does not have NAV. Based on my experience with NAV in my Hellcat I was rather relieved this Scat Pack didn't come with NAV and I'm not a fan of having it in the replacement car.

I want summer high performance tires!

I do not want the 1320 option!

There are -- or were I have not checked in a few weeks -- several similar cars around, 2 I think in Florida -- I'm in Arkansas -- and one up "north" in ID or IL.

When I take the car in to be inspected I can sit down with the sales manager and see what cars he has in stock and what he might be able to get. The Scat Pack I ended up buying from the dealer actually came from a Texas dealership. I believe the two dealers swapped cars. Florida is a bit distant to "swap" cars but we'll see.

Oh, there is the diminished value business. I have submitted a claim. I might have to resubmit with better documentation on how I arrived at the DV value.

I probably wont' give a blow by blow narrative of this DV "fight" but I'll provide updates when there is something to significant to report.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Oh, there is the diminished value business. I have submitted a claim. I might have to resubmit with better documentation on how I arrived at the DV value.

I probably wont' give a blow by blow narrative of this DV "fight" but I'll provide updates when there is something to significant to report.
Good luck with that... I am still fighting an insurance agency 2 years later, and I have an attorney.

I filed the documentation, and with the appropriate parties... they offered me $500 to go away... not gonna happen.
They owe me over $6,000 in depreciation, and they wreck wasn't our fault (we were rear ended).

Reactions: SFCR

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
870 Posts
@Rockster ... congratulations on getting your car repaired the way you wanted it repaired.

I don't blame you on considering trading it for an unblemished version.

I live in Jacksonville, Florida so let me know if there's a car nearby that you'd like for me to check out and send you some pictures.

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack M6
69 Posts
@Rockster my 20 scat just ate a deer too. My body shop says they can't get the passenger side headlamp assembly. Did yours have any issues getting this part? I'm pissed and heartbroken!

·
Premium Member
10,365 Posts
I wouldn’t accept the car unless it was daylight and hopefully sunny out. They’d have to fix any issues and you’d keep the rental.
May all your days be better ones now!

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Plus Shaker
671 Posts
Glad that you got it fixed, and I understand about knowing that it has been repaired versus the pristine condition it was in before. I hope you can get a fair settlement on the DV, whether you keep your Challenger or not, DV is part of making your loss whole again.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Glad to see it back home. If it were mine, I think I'd keep it. Manual transmission cars are not that common and unless you order one it will be tough to find the combination that pleases you.

Reactions: RIPNWIP

·
Banned
295 Posts
🤣 You kill me! Back in the day, damage such as yours was considered a talking point, not a reason the sell the car. :rolleyes:

The proximity alarm is too sensitive? Seeing as how you're backing it into a garage that's just big enough to house your car, the back-up + blind spot sensors are going to react. If it bothers you, shut them off via Uconnect interface.

·
Registered
2015 SRT, 6 Speed, Sublime Green
2,089 Posts
That was fast. I hope all of your concerns reach a good conclusion. These kinds of things are unfortunate and throw a wrench in the normal routine, but I’m happy it is back in your hands. Good luck.

·
Registered
2018 Challenger 392 Shaker B5 Blue
538 Posts
@Rockster Hey brother, I’m glad you finally got the car back and they used all factory parts and it’s running smooth. Seems they did a good job, but I totally get where you’re coming from about having a car with a accident on it. I would be the same way.

The 2 manual Hellraisins here by me that I told you about are still there. Let me know if you want me to take some pics and get some details on it as this particular dealer is close to me.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Good luck with that... I am still fighting an insurance agency 2 years later, and I have an attorney.

I filed the documentation, and with the appropriate parties... they offered me $500 to go away... not gonna happen.
They owe me over $6,000 in depreciation, and they wreck wasn't our fault (we were rear ended).
DV is not a given. I hope it goes like I want it to but it ain't over until its over.

@Rockster my 20 scat just ate a deer too. My body shop says they can't get the passenger side headlamp assembly. Did yours have any issues getting this part? I'm pissed and heartbroken!
Yes, the driver side headlight was the last part to arrive and it arrived around noon Friday. It had been on order for about 3 weeks.

I wouldn’t accept the car unless it was daylight and hopefully sunny out. They’d have to fix any issues and you’d keep the rental.
May all your days be better ones now!
Believe me when I say I didn't want to pick up the car Friday night. I wanted to wait until Monday and do it in daylight.

I checked what I could last night and found nothing.

However, went to the car today in the daylight. Spotted something. Can you see it?

Sky Motor vehicle Mirror Vehicle Hood

@Rockster Hey brother, I’m glad you finally got the car back and they used all factory parts and it’s running smooth. Seems they did a good job, but I totally get where you’re coming from about having a car with a accident on it. I would be the same way.

The 2 manual Hellraisins here by me that I told you about are still there. Let me know if you want me to take some pics and get some details on it as this particular dealer is close to me.
Have those cars under consideration. I can't move ahead until I have the dealer inspect the repaired car and get any issues with the repair sorted out. Also, reluctant to trade in car before I have any DV.

I have a half a mind to just order one of those cars, but I want to use a new car purchase as pressure on the dealer to in turn have the dealer put pressure on the repair shop to address any sub par repair issues.

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
🤣 You kill me! Back in the day, damage such as yours was considered a talking point, not a reason the sell the car. :rolleyes:

The proximity alarm is too sensitive? Seeing as how you're backing it into a garage that's just big enough to house your car, the back-up + blind spot sensors are going to react. If it bothers you, shut them off via Uconnect interface.
Just bought the car. New. Two months ago. With the accident on its record I am not as in love with the car as I was. In the past I would just had a car repaired and live with it knowing it had lost considerable value. When one car after just 3 weeks suffered over $25K in damage (paid $57.7K for the car) I drove one car 150K miles and kept it for 8 years. This Scat Pack I had plans to drive it a couple of years, 2.5 years maybe, then trade it in for a new car.

I could still do that but I think it would help me with a DV claim to seek to trade the car in now and nail down the huge depreciation hit the car has taken. (Around 30% by my math, compared to the less than 22% the Hellcat suffered at 33 months old and with 27.4K miles on it.)

Will look into the uConnect interface to see if there is a way to quiet the back up sensors. They never reacted nearly as much just backing into a car port as they do when I back into the garage.

Have to back in to the garage. I can judge how far I am in the garage and know the door will not hit the car. The car just fits with not many inches to spare.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Believe me when I say I didn't want to pick up the car Friday night. I wanted to wait until Monday and do it in daylight.

I checked what I could last night and found nothing.

However, went to the car today in the daylight. Spotted something. Can you see it?

View attachment 1013792
Perhaps an odd reflection near the center of the hood?

·
Registered
4,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
G

What’s wrong with it?
Hood is up on the left side. Took the car to the dealer. Had two different people sit in the car. I didn't tell them why. Both almost immediately noticed hood and said something.

Gaps and fits appear ok. I suspect the underlying sheet metal the fender bolts to got pushed up and that is why the hood is high. I have hardware I think I can use to show the car is wrong in this area but will need a pair of hands to help. So I'll do this at the dealer then the car is being inspected and have someone take pics.

This sheet metal:

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Hood

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Hood is up on the left side. Took the car to the dealer. Had two different people sit in the car. I didn't tell them why. Both almost immediately noticed hood and said something.

Gaps and fits appear ok. I suspect the underlying sheet metal the fender bolts to got pushed up and that is why the hood is high. I have hardware I think I can use to show the car is wrong in this area but will need a pair of hands to help. So I'll do this at the dealer then the car is being inspected and have someone take pics.

This sheet metal:

View attachment 1013793
it would be really hard to have the driver front corner pushed way up without having a really bad and inconsistent gap between the fender and the door.

if you want to post pics of your estimate/repair plan, I will review it.

·
Banned
295 Posts
Just bought the car. New. Two months ago. With the accident on its record I am not as in love with the car as I was. In the past I would just had a car repaired and live with it knowing it had lost considerable value. When one car after just 3 weeks suffered over $25K in damage (paid $57.7K for the car) I drove one car 150K miles and kept it for 8 years. This Scat Pack I had plans to drive it a couple of years, 2.5 years maybe, then trade it in for a new car.

I could still do that but I think it would help me with a DV claim to seek to trade the car in now and nail down the huge depreciation hit the car has taken. (Around 30% by my math, compared to the less than 22% the Hellcat suffered at 33 months old and with 27.4K miles on it.)

Will look into the uConnect interface to see if there is a way to quiet the back up sensors. They never reacted nearly as much just backing into a car port as they do when I back into the garage.

Have to back in to the garage. I can judge how far I am in the garage and know the door will not hit the car. The car just fits with not many inches to spare.
It's your car... I traded-in a mint 2016 R/T, which others thought was foolish. Whatever... I wanted a fresh, no grime Challenger. I was hearing some lifter ticking when the engine was fully heated, so I didn't want to take the chance on having to rework the top end. Best of luck on your journey.

I use a Striker parking aid LED light w/rechargeable AA batteries. Works perfectly! :)

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T 392 6 speed manual
288 Posts
I would have a hard time living with it too. About 20 years ago, I bought a car and ended up getting T-boned about 2 months later in the passenger door and fender. The insurance company jerked me around and would not let the body shop use a new Ford fender so it had to be aftermarket. Well, it didn’t fit right and they had to get OEM anyway. The door was Ford but used, which I was ok with. The shop forgot to put in a filler piece of foam in the jam where it meets the fender. It was fine and I drove it for a number of years but I wasn’t in a position to replace it. They replaced the one rim with a new one but remanufactured. 2 years later, it looked worse than all the other 3 and I ended up buying one from a salvage yard to swap out.

I hate taking cars to body shops. My wife’s Highlander got worked on more recently and the front wheel lip liner was not put together right, missing clips and loose door hardware. Overspray in areas and they burned through paint on a spot on the outside door handle when buffing the door. When I asked about it, their answer was that it must have worn through when opening the door. This was a 3 year old car and on the passenger side. Wife drives it and kids are in the back!

1 - 20 of 80 Posts