Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2015 SRT392 A8 in white pearl coat
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's very important to me that when I back up the Challenger, that I don't hit the wall behind the car. I've learned a little trick after practicing for 9 months: thought I'd share it.
I have a 2015 SRT392 with Nav and backup camera. My aluminum car port isn't very long and I need to get as close as possible to the wall when I back the car in... to be sure the car is fully under the carport.

What I've learned:
I can see the reflection of the tail lights on the surface of the wall on the video screen as I'm backing up. Two things happen as I get closer to the wall: first, the reflection of the lights on the wall becomes sharper and more defined, and second, they appear to get farther apart as I back up due to the fish-eye lens of the camera.

Since I've discovered that the closer I get to the wall, the farther apart the reflection of the tail lights appears to be, when they reach the exact full width of the screen on my uConnect, my bumper is now 8 inches from the wall. This little "trick" is amazingly accurate.

Works every time.

:smile:

Gary

·
Super Moderator
15,379 Posts
Probably also see what the grid lines look like at that distance since you have the yellow, then the red ones.

The scale is a bit stretched out, so you still have more distance than what you might think it is based on the camera.

I had to back my Challenger into the garage in the house I just sold, and where I'm renting now - I back into the underground garage space as its easier to exit from that space.

The new house will have a 6' bump out in side garage wall so I'll have room for cabinets, counter top and space to pull both cars nose in and being able to open the car doors.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I have indeed used the grid lines. However they don't work like this little trick I've discovered. Seems that I can hit that 8 inch dimension plus or minus about an inch or so. Glad I found this little trick.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
If there is a roof or something above the car you can suspend from this a ping pong ball secured to a fishing line to where the ball just touches the rear glass when the car is in the parking space far enough.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If there is a roof or something above the car you can suspend from this a ping pong ball secured to a fishing line to where the ball just touches the rear glass when the car is in the parking space far enough.
Thanks Rockstar, great tip. I have used this trick for years. As a matter of fact, there was a ball hanging from my carport for months until Hurricane Irma swept through here last September. However, this new trick with my back up camera works really good as well. As I said, as I back up, the reflection of my taillights against the wall becomes sharper, and they appear to be getting farther apart as I inch backward. When the outsides of the taillights become exactly as wide as my uConnect screen, I am just about exactly 8 inches from the wall. It works really well. That back up Camera is amazing.

·
Registered
96 Posts
When backing my wife's grand cherokee into the garage, I line the bar where red and yellow meet up with the second shelf up on my storage setup.. this gives me about 3ft to walk behind it, but clears the door.. unfortunately, my challenger sits outside, so i dont get to practice that method on my car much.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When backing my wife's grand cherokee into the garage, I line the bar where red and yellow meet up with the second shelf up on my storage setup.. this gives me about 3ft to walk behind it, but clears the door.. unfortunately, my challenger sits outside, so i dont get to practice that method on my car much.
I can appreciate what you said about the Challenger sitting outside. I can't close the garage door with my Challenger in it. It won't fit. My Challenger is 9 inches longer than my Caravan... which BARELY fits.
I'm just saying that I can back the Challenger up against a wall (or my garage door) using this system. It really works well.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I can appreciate what you said about the Challenger sitting outside. I can't close the garage door with my Challenger in it. It won't fit. My Challenger is 9 inches longer than my Caravan... which BARELY fits.
I'm just saying that I can back the Challenger up against a wall (or my garage door) using this system. It really works well.
Yeah. I can get within 6 inches of a wall backing the car up.. our 2 car garage is small for two modern vehicles to fit in.. and it was part of the agreement with me getting the car.. the wife gets the garage lol.. whatever it takes to have a fun car.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah. I can get within 6 inches of a wall backing the car up.. our 2 car garage is small for two modern vehicles to fit in.. and it was part of the agreement with me getting the car.. the wife gets the garage lol.. whatever it takes to have a fun car.
"Part of the agreement," you said. That would be an interesting thread. It would be cool to hear how many guys had to make some kind of concessions to convince the wife that...

INEEDTHISCAR !!!

·
Banned
2016 R/T Scat Pack
3,889 Posts
I use this trick when pulling into my garage, but it could work for you as well.

I have a electric fixture on the wall that just so happens to align with my driver's side mirror when I'm right in the middle of the garage.

·
Registered
14,277 Posts
Don't have anything that I need to back close to but when the backup beeper goes to a solid tone I figure I'm close enough! :D

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
96 Posts
"Part of the agreement," you said. That would be an interesting thread. It would be cool to hear how many guys had to make some kind of concessions to convince the wife that...

INEEDTHISCAR !!!
yeah.. would be interesting..
Did i need a bright ass green 2 door car with two kids? hell no
Did i want said bright ass green 2 door car? hell yes
Do the kids love it? They would rather me take them 30 minutes to school than have their mom take them.. (Wife is a school teacher, so they are in her school district rather than local one)
Was it the right price? Definitely.. $6-8k under trade in value.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
yeah.. would be interesting..
Did i need a bright ass green 2 door car with two kids? hell no
Did i want said bright ass green 2 door car? hell yes
Do the kids love it? They would rather me take them 30 minutes to school than have their mom take them.. (Wife is a school teacher, so they are in her school district rather than local one)
Was it the right price? Definitely.. $6-8k under trade in value.
Looks like we've got a little in common. I taught school for 11 years: just retired 2 years ago.

Let's overlook your opinion of what you needed and ask your kids, did daddy need a mucho brighto green car? Or how 'bout this... I wonder what their friends have to say about it?

Years ago, I used to hang out with one kid who's dad had an SS El Camino. We used to ride in the back. We'd lean up against the cab and try to clean off as much dust as possible from the bottoms of our tennies so we could get some traction. His dad would take off and we'd see who'd be the last one to hit the tailgate.
Ha... we had more fun in that thing. We'd sit in the front seats in the driveway and shift the four speed while bellering out our best imitation of what it might sound like if we had the keys...
Ha... just remembered, then there was the time that the tailgate wasn't latched quite right.

Safe? :surprise:

Good times? :wink3:

His popularity with the other kids cuzza his dad's car? :redblob:

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don't have anything that I need to back close to but when the backup beeper goes to a solid tone I figure I'm close enough! :D

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk
Yeah: wish I'd built my car port about 2 feet longer. That Challenger is one LONG rascal.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts