Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I backed into a curb at my work a few days ago in my scat pack. Both rear tires hit the curb and I was only going between 5 - 10 mph per hour max. Pissed me off. I took my eyes off the backup monitor for like 2 seconds due to a truck coming fast in the parking lot towards me and BAM. Hit the curb. Smh. Anyway, got out and looked everything over. Nothing looked damaged or anything to me. Had me stressed out so I went ahead and drove it to my dealer this afternoon and they checked the alignment and said it looked good. Everything was in spec. They told me they could have their suspension guy put it on a lift and look it over if I wanted but would cost $120 for them to do that and I would have to make an appointment for that since he had already went home for the day. My question is should I have this done or not worry about it anymore since my alignment is alright? Opinions please. Thanks

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
10,474 Posts
You’re good to go, especially if you yourself don’t notice any difference in the car’s driving.

If you ever end up with damage to the car from contacting a curb, chances are much better it will come from stopping too far forward when parking up against a curb or parking block. That’s the scenario you should be ever vigilant about avoiding and more worried about encountering.

At least it was over in an instant with the rearward contact. If you ever pull up onto a curb or parking block, it’ll be a double whammy of sudden realization of the mistake made, followed by the crippling depression of knowing you will have something damaged by backing off the curb, and then the paralyzing dread as you slowly put into reverse and listen to your front valance and/or fascia scraping over the concrete and leaving chunks of paint and plastic behind.

Good times!! 🤣

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
29,022 Posts
Since the hit was on the tires, and alignment is good, you should be OK. Make sure no unusual vibrations at different speeds going forward

A Guy

·
Super Moderator
16,029 Posts
You should be fine.

Check out this excellent video to see if your car is out of alignment.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it..... I wouldn't have even looked at my tires. I would have pulled away and not even given it a second thought. Most people don't subscribe to my theories of ownership though. :D

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Hellcat / 2022 Challenger Redeye Widebody
122 Posts
You’re good to go, especially if you yourself don’t notice any difference in the car’s driving.

If you ever end up with damage to the car from contacting a curb, chances are much better it will come from stopping too far forward when parking up against a curb or parking block. That’s the scenario you should be ever vigilant about avoiding and more worried about encountering.

At least it was over in an instant with the rearward contact. If you ever pull up onto a curb or parking block, it’ll be a double whammy of sudden realization of the mistake made, followed by the crippling depression of knowing you will have something damaged by backing off the curb, and then the paralyzing dread as you slowly put into reverse and listen to your front valance and/or fascia scraping over the concrete and leaving chunks of paint and plastic behind.

Good times!! 🤣
I had this happen to me recently. A couple months ago, I parked at a business in the same spot I've generally parked in a dozen times before. The parking barriers at this place are low enough to pull full forward into the spot without it touching the front spoiler on my Hellcat. I park as normal, go in for some shopping then hop back in. This particular day, I had a friend with me and he hopped back in as well.

Now, the problem was that with the added weight of the passenger, the car sat ever so slightly lower. Apparently, this was just low enough to where the metal rebar post slightly sticking out of the top of the concrete barrier was able to snag the lip of my front splitter as I backed out. I had no idea this was about to happen as I put it in reverse, gave it a blip of gas to back out and...

CRUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUNCH! Snap... CRUUNCH.... and my entire front fasica got ripped off the driver's side of the car in about a split second. Luckily, other than breaking one of the fascia mounts, it did no visible damage to the car. $300 in repairs and the need to slightly straighten out the driver front fender is all it took to fix it. Still, it was a bad day and it sounded so bad...

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
If they really did set it up for an alignment and everything was good, it's likely nothing was bent.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys. They had me drive it through one of those Hunter quick check drive alignment inspection machines. Everything looked alright from the printout they showed me. Said everything was in spec.

·
Premium Member
1,005 Posts
Thanks guys. They had me drive it through one of those Hunter quick check drive alignment inspection machines. Everything looked alright from the printout they showed me. Said everything was in spec.
Good work. My OCD would have required that I do the same.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts