Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know where to get just the yellow wire harness for the backlit airbag?
I have a 2015 SRT 392 challenger and i want to swap out the airbag. I have the backit air bag coming but i just need the yellow harness for it.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,701 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Let us all know if you ever get the right harness that matches that part number... I've ordered 4 of these recently and they all were the non-powered airbag harness.

I'm betting the harness is no longer produced, and the superseded part number is the non-powered airbag harness.

Reactions: Dennis H

·
Registered
16,210 Posts
That's the number I've got then says it's been replaced by 68436027AA and don't know if it's for the lighted bag or not, so you could be right.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
11,797 Posts
As a heads up, we have not been able to get the correct part from Dodge for months now. They superseded the number and changed the part. We sold our inventory, but we continue to check weekly.

- Alexis

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,701 Posts
So indeed, the OPs question is not what is the part number, but where can you get it

A Guy

·
Registered
2019 Scat Pack triple nickel 6 speed manual.
161 Posts
I have a 2019 scatpac and I had the reverse problem you have. I wanted a hellcat steering wheel, so I bought a used one on eBay from a 2019 hellcat...I planned on just using my scatpac airbag, but I found out the horn plugs are different. They are different because the hellcat plug needs to supply power to the lighted airbag also...So I figured I’d just swap out the harnesses between the two wheels and I’d be good to go....nope!! The heated wheel plugs on the different wheels are totally different. You can use the scat airbag on the hellcat wheel, but you won’t have a horn...you can use a SRT airbag on a scat (non lighted wheel), but you won’t have a horn or lighted SRT airbag. To have everything work I had to buy a SRT airbag....I’m thinking your gonna have to buy a Hellcat steering wheel.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a 2019 scatpac and I had the reverse problem you have. I wanted a hellcat steering wheel, so I bought a used one on eBay from a 2019 hellcat...I planned on just using my scatpac airbag, but I found out the horn plugs are different. They are different because the hellcat plug needs to supply power to the lighted airbag also...So I figured I’d just swap out the harnesses between the two wheels and I’d be good to go....nope!! The heated wheel plugs on the different wheels are totally different. You can use the scat airbag on the hellcat wheel, but you won’t have a horn...you can use a SRT airbag on a scat (non lighted wheel), but you won’t have a horn or lighted SRT airbag. To have everything work I had to buy a SRT airbag....I’m thinking your gonna have to buy a Hellcat steering wheel.
In order to run the lighted SRT Steering Wheel Airbag in OEM control, you have to have the Lighted SRT Steering Wheel Harness.

That Lighted Airbag Harness Part Number has been posted above, and apparently is no longer produced as if you order that part number, you will receive a superseded part number which is for the non-lighted / non-lit Airbag Harness.

This was a very simple plug and play upgrade, and apparently the financial penny counters in the management department don't want us doing anymore.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I have both harnesses and they will not inter change between steering wheels (both 2019’s)... I guess he now needs a hellcat steering wheel with the harness to use a lighted SRT airbag.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have both harnesses and they will not inter change between steering wheels (both 2019’s)... I guess he now needs a hellcat steering wheel with the harness to use a lighted SRT airbag.
There is a lighted airbag steering wheel harness and a non-lighted airbag steering wheel harness.
You must have the matching harness.

The lighted airbag harness now supercedes to the non-lighted airbag harness.
If you order the lighted airbag harness, you will receive the non-lighted airbag harness.

This has already happened to me the last (4) lighted airbag harnesses I have ordered, and Steve White (Alexis) has confirmed there is a part number problem/ supersede problem.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I guess what I’m trying to convey is in model year 2019 dodge made from what I can tell 3 different steering wheels for the challengers. 1 (the scat pack wheel.. no lighted airbag). 2 (the hellcat leather wrapped steering wheel..lighted airbag). 3 (hellcat alcantera wrapped steering wheel...lighted airbag). In all three wheels if you took out the wiring harnesses, the plugs for the heated wheel portion are built in and part of the wheel. Because of this you now cannot interchange wiring harness between the lighted airbag wheels and the non lighted airbag wheel. And because of this they no longer make whatever wiring harness that people use to use. If you have a steering wheel that was made for a non lighted airbag you cannot just put a new wiring harness in it from a steering wheel that is designed for a lighted airbag. The heating element plugs from the different wheels are completely different. I know this because I have both wheels. I ended up having to buy the SRT airbag for my hellcat wheel. The only way the OP is going to get his SRT airbag to work is he’s going to have to buy a complete Hellcat wheel, because even if he got the new lighted airbag wiring harness it will not work in a non lighted airbag wheel.

·
Registered
243 Posts
I guess what I’m trying to convey is in model year 2019 dodge made from what I can tell 3 different steering wheels for the challengers. 1 (the scat pack wheel.. no lighted airbag). 2 (the hellcat leather wrapped steering wheel..lighted airbag). 3 (hellcat alcantera wrapped steering wheel...lighted airbag). In all three wheels if you took out the wiring harnesses, the plugs for the heated wheel portion are built in and part of the wheel. Because of this you now cannot interchange wiring harness between the lighted airbag wheels and the non lighted airbag wheel. And because of this they no longer make whatever wiring harness that people use to use. If you have a steering wheel that was made for a non lighted airbag you cannot just put a new wiring harness in it from a steering wheel that is designed for a lighted airbag. The heating element plugs from the different wheels are completely different. I know this because I have both wheels. I ended up having to buy the SRT airbag for my hellcat wheel. The only way the OP is going to get his SRT airbag to work is he’s going to have to buy a complete Hellcat wheel, because even if he got the new lighted airbag wiring harness it will not work in a non lighted airbag wheel.
You're forgetting the Charger, Durango, and Jeep Grand Cherokee.
You don't have to buy a complete steering wheel... just the lighted SRT Airbag and Lighted SRT Harness.

Add in the fact that a manufacture is supposed to make replacement parts for 10 years.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts