Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I previously had a 2017 RAM 1500 with the 8.4 Display screen, and I currently have a Jeep Gladiator with the 8.4 Dispalay screen.
The brilliance of the backup camera were the same and what you would expect.
I bought my wife a 2020 Challenger with the 8.4 Display screen, and right away noticed how dark it was.
The Service manage saw it and told me to bring it by one day and he might be able to fix it via software.
After about thirty minutes he came out and said both he and the senior mechanic couldn't find any setting to change it.
Another brand spanky new Challenger was just rolling off the truck, so he waved it over so we could take a look at that ones screen.
That Challenger had the smaller screen, but when vieiwing the backup camera it was similarly dark.
His thoughts were, this is a problem that may exist on all the Challenger models from 2020-2021, and would take a number of complaints to FCA to get them to issue a TSB to get it addressed. Has anyone ever heard of this, or experienced this on your car?
I am thinking if you don't have a properly working backup camera screen to compare it to, you won't know that it is too dark.
Thanks for any insights,
P.S. If desired, I can take pictures of the Jeep and the Challenger screens and post them here for a side by side comparison. You may fiund your screen is also similarly dark.

·
Registered
2020 Dodge Challenger Scat Pack Wide body A8 in Go Mango
164 Posts
2020 Challenger SPWB. My backup camera seems fine.

·
Registered
2019 Challenger R/T Scat Pack 1320
196 Posts
i feel my 1320 Camera is a little dark but no dealer will ever touch my car so i'll live with it
Crappy winter pic i had laying around, my driveway is White & Gray Rocks and NO WHERE near that dark

·
Registered
9 Posts
Mine is also dark (‘20 SP) and the dealer will be looking at it soon. I’m at approximately 3000 miles on it and from new I suspected something is wrong with the display. It’s not only dark, the resolution seems to be weaker than it should be.

·
Premium Member
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy- GONE :-(
4,723 Posts
i feel my 1320 Camera is a little dark but no dealer will ever touch my car so i'll live with it
Crappy winter pic i had laying around, my driveway is White & Gray Rocks and NO WHERE near that dark
View attachment 1021075
Looks like standard auto correct video. That looks like the sun is near the horizon behind the car, and the exposure is autocorrecting for all of the bright light hitting it and reducing the exposure.
Only an automatic HDR video system would improve that.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I previously had a 2017 RAM 1500 with the 8.4 Display screen, and I currently have a Jeep Gladiator with the 8.4 Dispalay screen.
I bought my wife a 2020 Challenger with the 8.4 Display screen, and right away noticed how dark it was.
The Service manage saw it and told me to bring it by one day and he might be able to fix it via software.
After about thirty minutes he came out and said both he and the senior mechanic couldn't find any setting to change it.
Another brand spanky new Challenger was just rolling off the truck, so he waved it over so we could take a look at that ones screen.
That Challenger had the smaller screen, but when vieiwing the backup camera it was similarly dark.
His thoughts were, this is a problem that may exist on all the Challenger models from 2020-2021, and would take a number of complaints to FCA to get them to issue a TSB to get it addressed. Has anyone ever heard of this, or experienced this on your car?
I am thinking if you don't have a properly working backup camera screen to compare it to, you won't know that it is too dark.
Thanks for any insights,
P.S. If desired, I can take pictures of the Jeep and the Challenger screens and post them here for a side by side comparison. You may fiund your screen is also similarly dark.
2021 scat pack just purchased had a 2020 sxt and camera was fine. mine now is dark and pixleated. not good at all. dealer said its how they are.....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just purchased 21 SP and the camera quality sucks! My Wife has a 21 RAM and its bright and crystal clear...and its not the giant tablet screen.
Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
4,933 Posts
Here's my 2020 picture. Parking lines are in the air because I swapped my ugly Performance Spoiler for a Hellcat version.

Sky Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive mirror Hood

·
Registered
3 Posts
Thanks for any insights,
I also have a problem with my backup camera on a 21 challenger. Dealer is no help.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts