Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've been looking around for a 3rd party backup camera that I could mount on my license plate on my 2015 Challenger. I came across one from Infotainment, however I was hoping someone was able to find something that wasn't a kit like this:

https://www.infotainment.com/collections/all/products/obd-genie-cg4-rear-view-camera-bundle

The wiring is already in my car, and I did not feel like paying for an unpainted $450-500 hellcat spoiler with the backup camera. Essentially, I am looking for something that provides the two items on the left, and the backup camera (basically making it a plug and play).

I am not sure if there is a video converter within the OEM backup camera spoiler, but the wiring that comes out of those, is basically plug and play (if you have a tazer, or get it enabled).

Has anyone installed something similar? I don't really want to be wiring something all the way through my car, to my 8.4 UConnect screen since the wiring is already there.

Update: Didn't really come across anything plug and play, so I ended up splicing some wiring together from an aftermarket/3rd party camera that uses those yellow video component cables. Here is a video for an explanation/installation guide.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've been looking around for a 3rd party backup camera that I could mount on my license plate on my 2015 Challenger. I came across one from Infotainment, however I was hoping someone was able to find something that wasn't a kit like this:

https://www.infotainment.com/collections/all/products/obd-genie-cg4-rear-view-camera-bundle

The wiring is already in my car, and I did not feel like paying for an unpainted $450-500 hellcat spoiler with the backup camera. Essentially, I am looking for something that provides the two items on the left, and the backup camera (basically making it a plug and play).

I am not sure if there is a video converter within the OEM backup camera spoiler, but the wiring that comes out of those, is basically plug and play (if you have a tazer, or get it enabled).

Has anyone installed something similar? I don't really want to be wiring something all the way through my car, to my 8.4 UConnect screen since the wiring is already there.
stay away from infotainment.com it doesn't work. the OBD Genie programming bricked my radio and required a trip to a dealer. My dealer recommended me NavTool that's what they use even at the dealership.

here is a link to the product it works no problem and I'm even thinking of upgrading to wireless mirroring option

this is the one i got - DODGE CHALLENGER 2015-2018 NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE

this is what i'm planning to upgrade tp DODGE CHALLENGER 2015 2016 2017 2018 NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE with BUILT-IN HD SMARTPHONE MIRRORING via HDMI

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How to: Install 3rd Party Backup Camera 2015+

Brief background. My SXT was the bare minimum. Came with no spoiler (added 3rd party OEM style one), had the 4 inch screen (upgraded to the 8.4 UConnect. It appears for the 2015 Challenger and from what I've seen on the 2016 Chargers, that the wiring harness is already in trunk. So you can upgrade to an OEM style spoiler with the backup camera if you feel like dropping the money, or just splice some wires around and manipulate it to your benefit.

Save hundreds of $$$ by buying a third party OEM spoiler and backup camera, compared to the official OEM backup camera spoiler.

Very quick edit/explanation regarding how to install an aftermarket backup camera in a 2015+ Challenger (mine is an SXT with an upgraded 8.4 UConnect screen).

Did quick tapes jobs holding it up, but made sure any wires that were left open or spliced together triple taped. Went back afterwards with the tape and made it less of a 'hack job'.

If you have any questions, comment below and I'll get back to you as soon as I can!

** Key thing not mentioned in video. First enable the backup camera via the tazer. This way once camera is installed/testing out to see if feed is correct, it will save you the steps.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
stay away from infotainment.com it doesn't work. the OBD Genie programming bricked my radio and required a trip to a dealer. My dealer recommended me NavTool that's what they use even at the dealership.

here is a link to the product it works no problem and I'm even thinking of upgrading to wireless mirroring option

this is what i'm planning to upgrade tp DODGE CHALLENGER 2015 2016 2017 2018 NAVIGATION VIDEO INTERFACE with BUILT-IN HD SMARTPHONE MIRRORING via HDMI

I found a much cheaper solution/work around than just going through that way. Here's a video of my installation of an aftermarket backup camera by splicing the video component cable that was included in the camera I bought.
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=13PC_Yuwdck

·
Registered
72 Posts

Challenger4eva so did you get the navtool installed on your car? and do you have a 5.0 or 8.4 screen?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts