Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I have a lockpick installed on my 2013 challenger r/t which i love, but the license plate camera i bought separately and attached to it leaves a lot to be desired. primarily, it has major glare issues and anytime the car gets washed, or temp changes, condensation gets in or builds up and is useless. the image is also ... blech.

Anyway, i'm looking for recommendations for the actual camera piece. license plate mount is obviously easiest, but i can be talked into something that works well. already have the lockpick working just need the camera itself replaced.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I've had two cameras on my R/T, the mopar unit, which stopped working just over a year, had an adequate picture, no distance lines, and poor night vision. I replaced it with a unit I picked up on ebay from a seller in Hong Kong. Under $25, much better picture (CMOS) day and night, integrated license plate light and mount, and distance lines. Its been through a rough winter without issue and i'd recommend it. Search for chrysler 300 backup camera and make sure its a CMOS. It fit perfectly in the stock plate light location.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
THANKS so much for your time and reply. CMOS, though, really? I thought that ccd was better quality than cmos, have I had it backwards this whole time?

Thanks again!

I've had two cameras on my R/T, the mopar unit, which stopped working just over a year, had an adequate picture, no distance lines, and poor night vision. I replaced it with a unit I picked up on ebay from a seller in Hong Kong. Under $25, much better picture (CMOS) day and night, integrated license plate light and mount, and distance lines. Its been through a rough winter without issue and i'd recommend it. Search for chrysler 300 backup camera and make sure its a CMOS. It fit perfectly in the stock plate light location.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Never really had an issue with mine...but I do know when we had snow and I had to take it out to get the timing chain issue resolved...I had to rub the lens off as particles were on it...then again mine goes into night vision once its dark out...which I think makes it a lot easier...zero fogging issues tho

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have a Boyo VTL375 HD Ultra Slim Zinc Metal Black License Plate Camera. Great field of view, good night vision, no distance grid though (no big deal to me). Had it installed with the camera on the bottom of the license plate frame to get the most out of the field of view (top mount will block some of the view since due to the license plate recess). I'm happy with it.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
1,454 Posts
I have the Chrysler 300 back up CMOS camera and it has been trouble free for over a year now, I think I paid around $20 for it on eBay.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are you wiring your backup camera to the taillights? I want to be able to view it at anytime with the lockpick installed. How would you recommend wiring it. Do I need a toggle? Will lockpick automatically recognize it and turn it on when needed.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Are you wiring your backup camera to the taillights? I want to be able to view it at anytime with the lockpick installed. How would you recommend wiring it. Do I need a toggle? Will lockpick automatically recognize it and turn it on when needed.
with the lockpick v5 it lets you turn the cameras on while driving using sterring wheel controlls on back..i can switch from front to back...as well as automatic mode

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
with the lockpick v5 it lets you turn the cameras on while driving using sterring wheel controlls on back..i can switch from front to back...as well as automatic mode
I have no steering wheel controls, can I still use the back up camera? How else would I activate it. I have a 6 speed.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have no steering wheel controls, can I still use the back up camera? How else would I activate it. I have a 6 speed.
yea i have a 2012 srt8 but im sure there is other options for controlls...the v5 gives you multiple options for camera views dont worry...and tes when u engage reverse the camera will come on

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
yea i have a 2012 srt8 but im sure there is other options for controlls...the v5 gives you multiple options for camera views dont worry...and tes when u engage reverse the camera will come on
Thank you for the info. I don't have a V5 yet but it's on the list of mods "to get" LOL. My wife hates me.

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Thank you for the info. I don't have a V5 yet but it's on the list of mods "to get" LOL. My wife hates me.

2 things.. yes you put in in reverse and the camera comes on with the lock pick.. and two and most importantly.

what happened to AFTER THE SHIFTER I DON'T NEED TO DO ANYTHING ELSE AS I AM HAPPY JUST THE WAY IT IS LMAO!!!

you know i had to man

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
2 things.. yes you put in in reverse and the camera comes on with the lock pick.. and two and most importantly.

what happened to AFTER THE SHIFTER I DON'T NEED TO DO ANYTHING ELSE AS I AM HAPPY JUST THE WAY IT IS LMAO!!!

you know i had to man
Yeah yeah yeah rub it in you smarta$$!!! I tell ya though, once I get the lockpic and wheel hop gone THEN I will stop modding, mark my words. This time it will count JUST WATCH! :icon_biggrin:

·
Registered
3,544 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
My lock pick arrived today but camera is on slow boat. Today would be a good day to install the system but may as we'll wait. :-(

Update: Cam came and I completed the install today. Only difficulty was wires I used to tap from on the original Tag light were tight and not very accessible. The rest was straight forward. I do have one caution for anyone that has not done the install. When I powered everything back on my radio asked for the security code. I think I input the right one or the lock pick by passed it. It happened so fast. Just in case have your code available if you unplug the radio completely. The $20 CCD camera worked out very well and does have grid lines.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I have a Boyo VTL375 HD Ultra Slim Zinc Metal Black License Plate Camera. Great field of view, good night vision, no distance grid though (no big deal to me). Had it installed with the camera on the bottom of the license plate frame to get the most out of the field of view (top mount will block some of the view since due to the license plate recess). I'm happy with it.

Good luck.

The BOYO is the very best license plate frame HD camera I know of. I've used mine with a lockpick for 2 years. It's "clear as a bell," and holds up to everything from lousy weather to serve temperature changes.

Try a BOYO, and I doubt seriously, that you'll be disappointed. I wouldn't have anything else !!

Regards,

Gary aka "beamg5"

·
Registered
166 Posts
Installed system on April 12th. Rear camera died already. Went back and checked everything to make sure I wasn't at fault. I even connected the camera to the input for a front camera and still screen goes black. I may go a little further connect my old camcoder to the input to see if the lockpick is at fault tomorrow.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts