Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was looking through the CD that came with my 2011 and it talks about a backup camera

there isnt an option that i know of and ive never heard the Challenger comes with one....

so do i have a backup camera? or why is it in the CD?

·
Registered
820 Posts
No there is no backup camera the information was probably included by mistake.

·
Registered
532 Posts
If you have a MyGig radio you can add an aftermarket backup camera. First you need a Lockpic for the radio (around $300 on ebay) it will come with the wiring harness you need to plug in the camera. I added one to my R/T and love it. Sold the car and now I am waiting for my 392 and will install it on it. Can't wait....

·
Premium Member
390 Posts
The backup camera along with backup sensors is available through Mopar as an accessory item, this is also available for prior year Challengers.:thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
I would like the Camera or sensors as well, When you install this package, can post it with some pointers? Thanks AK907

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
There are sensors, but no camera's as an accessory item. If you want a camera you get to install your own, using the lockpick and media harness. Its a plug and play add on, once you figure out where to mount the camera and run the wires.

I can't imagine trying to back up without the camera, I love my install, works great and is secure. Far as i know i'm the only one with a camera in the rear spoiler.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Stopped at the dealer, picked up the brochure, and was promptly told the camera doesn't exist. Made them call, nothing. Said this sometimes happens, makes a brochure without any production. If you find a dealer that actually can find it in the system let me know, for now no camera from Mopar.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Looks like the Lockpic is the best and only way to go!

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Any updates? Any Mopar camera available?
The dealer is insisting that he will install me a Mopar camera, I am afraid it is an aftermarket :(

·
Registered
112 Posts
Yeah, it probably is an aftermarket one. I called my dealer about adding front and rear cameras to my 730N media center and she said it would be an aftermarket one and it would cost $1500 for the parts and labor. I said thanks, but no thanks. Ordered the MyGig LockPick with 2 cameras and will be installing it next week when it arrived. For $400, I'll try installing on my own.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I have the same thing.. front and rear cams with LockPick V4, easy to install.. took me about 2 hours total, including running the wiring.

I have mine setup to auto turn on on reverse gear, and to turn on the front cam when at 8mph and below... works great for parking and not hitting your lower front air dam.

The only issue I had was with the LockPick branded cams... they are not entirely waterproof, and everytime I would go to wash the car, they would die until they dried out... so I replaced them with "Pyle" Branded cams which I got for about $30 each, and so far far 3 months later, 100% perfect, with over 10 washes... =)

·
Registered
2,823 Posts
I just communicated with a guy on here that took his car to the dealer and they activated his rear camera feature in the car's computer. Now when he puts it in reverse, the screen goes black. He does not have his camera installed, but it appears to work without a Lockpick. He has a 2011. Town and Countries have a backup camera so Dodge must make one.

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
I just communicated with a guy on here that took his car to the dealer and they activated his rear camera feature in the car's computer. Now when he puts it in reverse, the screen goes black. He does not have his camera installed, but it appears to work without a Lockpick. He has a 2011. Town and Countries have a backup camera so Dodge must make one.
Thats true... but it would require a high dollar "dodge branded" camera... probably several hundred dollars..

The lockpick, does more than cams, such as:

- Enabled NAV while in motion
- Enabled DVD while in motion
- Front Cam below 8mph
- Rear Cam Support
- and more... I liked the options and unlocks it gave me that "uncle sam" said I could not have...

·
Registered
7,268 Posts
Thats true... but it would require a high dollar "dodge branded" camera... probably several hundred dollars..

The lockpick, does more than cams, such as:

- Enabled NAV while in motion
- Enabled DVD while in motion
- Front Cam below 8mph
- Rear Cam Support
- and more... I liked the options and unlocks it gave me that "uncle sam" said I could not have...
This is what I was talking about, a Mopar camera for the 2011-12 cars.
This is what the dealer told me.
It will cost me around 600$ including labor fees.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Any updates? Any Mopar camera available?
The dealer is insisting that he will install me a Mopar camera, I am afraid it is an aftermarket :(
The brochure listing was a mistake, Mopar has never offered a back-up camera for the Challenger. Something to do with not being able to obtain the correct viewing angles to satisfy the legal department.

·
Registered
576 Posts
The new Charger comes with a backup camera from the factory as an option... Wonder if it can mount on the Challenger?

·
Premium Member
654 Posts
This is what I was talking about, a Mopar camera for the 2011-12 cars.
This is what the dealer told me.
It will cost me around 600$ including labor fees.
Ouch.... you can get a LockPick V4, from Ebay (authorized dealers) for about $200, and then order both front and rear cams for around $150... and install yourself.. takes about 1 hour or so to install... and still be ahead

·
Registered
399 Posts
Hey guys, maybe you missed it, but he's asking about a Mopar camera, not a lockpick. Some people may prefer an official Mopar camera to some third party option. So yes EVERYONE knows you all are happy with your lockpick and are more than willing to school him on how cheap and cool it is. But what he's trying to find out is about the Mopar camera, not the third party one. So maybe you can let this thread get back on topic :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts