Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After toying with the idea of trading in my 2009 for a new Challenger, I decided I like the one I have too much. Instead, I am just adding a couple things that would have come standard on a new Challenger. Item #1 is a backup camera.

I used the PAC BCI-CH21 interface box($165 on Amazon), to display a backup camera image on the factory radio screen. The only thing to keep in mind is that if you have a manual transmission, you need to load the interface box with the initial release (V1.1.2) firmware. I am only using the Backup Camera feature of the box, so I can’t speak to how well the other features work, with this V1.1.2 firmware.

I used a camera sold on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015Q78KSU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This camera fit perfectly, with no modifications, on my 2009 Challenger SRT8. It uses the two screws that hold the rear license plate light. Just remove the license plate light and replace it with this camera (which also has a light built in).

I hope this will be helpful to anyone attempting to add backup camera to their early-model Challenger.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Post your finished pics if you can! I've been tossing around the backup camera idea lately too, but haven't decided. This one seems to have a fairly small footprint compared to the really inexpensive sets out there. How well does it work in low-light/night conditions?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Post your finished pics if you can! I've been tossing around the backup camera idea lately too, but haven't decided. This one seems to have a fairly small footprint compared to the really inexpensive sets out there. How well does it work in low-light/night conditions?
The camera is well hidden. I attached a photo. It is hard to see, but the camera is centered above the license plate. It works great in low-light conditions.

891808B1-2A1F-4D57-8AB2-85A10A7482E5.jpeg

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this is an old thread, but I found it when I was beginning the camera install on my 2009 RT.

I just purchased a Jeep Wrangler JK backup vision camera harness from e-bay, a tag light camera with night vision, and used "Appcar-diagfca" software to activate the backup on my factory MyGig radio. Worked like a charm!

Total cost with software license (excellent diagnostic and option adjuster) was under $100.00

·
Registered
13 Posts
I used a camera sold on Amazon:
That product number of the camera you used now lines up with some sort of USB charger. :) Do you have the name of the camera you used? It appears this unit you used is a bit more expensive than some of the others I've seen mentioned, but it appears to be the most hassle free way to add the backup camera to one that should have had it in the first place. ha. I think it's the only option NOT on my car.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, you’re right. It looks like they don’t carry it any more on Amazon. If it helps, this was the title for the camera: “
CCD Sony Chip Car Back Up Rear View Reverse Reversing Parking Camera for Chrysler 300/300c/300M/srt8/magnum/Sebring”

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
14,856 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Challenger SRT8 #1101
271 Posts
Thanks for finding the link to that. Someone had previously added a license plate camera on my 2008 SRT 8 and I would like to change it to a different camera setup so I can change the plate frame.
After toying with the idea of trading in my 2009 for a new Challenger, I decided I like the one I have too much. Instead, I am just adding a couple things that would have come standard on a new Challenger. Item #1 is a backup camera.

I used the PAC BCI-CH21 interface box($165 on Amazon), to display a backup camera image on the factory radio screen. The only thing to keep in mind is that if you have a manual transmission, you need to load the interface box with the initial release (V1.1.2) firmware. I am only using the Backup Camera feature of the box, so I can’t speak to how well the other features work, with this V1.1.2 firmware.

I used a camera sold on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B015Q78KSU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This camera fit perfectly, with no modifications, on my 2009 Challenger SRT8. It uses the two screws that hold the rear license plate light. Just remove the license plate light and replace it with this camera (which also has a light built in).

I hope this will be helpful to anyone attempting to add backup camera to their early-model Challenger.
Thanks for sharing this here. Although my 2008 has a rear camera that someone previously added to mine, it is part of a license plate frame and I think it is ugly.

I really like the idea of this one that replaces the license plate light. It would be nice if they made it with the camera centered and a light flanking each side though.

(OP) Are you still happy with your setup?

Do you guys think there's an advantage to having it in the spoiler instead of the license plate area?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts