Dodge Challenger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't had the best luck with my local dealerships. I've been to 3 now. First dealership and the bodyshop they work with damaged my car multiple times when I took it to fix orange peeling and paint issues when I bought the car and had to bring the car back to fix the damages they've done while fixing the original issue and when they said it was done and when I checked the vehicle there was new damages, had to bring it back multiple times and then they jacked up my car strangely on the rocker damaging the rocker that I eventually replaced out of pocket.

Second dealership wasn't as bad, they curbed my wheels but gave me credit to fix it but they tried to charge me for a differential service that had a known TBS. I had to contact corporate to get reimbursed partially.

The 3rd dealership seemed hopeful but then for some reason the service manager hasn't been responsive lately since January. Had de-lamination issues and had 8.4 Uconnect replaced now my Uconnect clock doesn't sync with the GPS so I need to manually update the time. My trim bezel tab(s) were also left broken in the car without informing me of the damage when they swapped the Uconnect. I've tried to contact the service manager for months via e-mail, voicemails, asking service department to forward my message to see when he is available to make an appointment to see if there is a software update that could fix the clock issue but haven't received any responses. The trim is like $600 but I think I should bring it up to have it replaced since it wasn't broken originally when I brought it in. Do you think it should be covered by warranty as in they should be reimbursed for breaking the tab(s) on the trim or would you think they have to pay out of pocket?

I still need to get the issues resolved before my warranty ends soon. Not sure if I should just drop by and try to find him or contact the general manager to see if he could help or contact DodgeCare to help me with the issue. I haven't heard back in like 6 months, which isn't really acceptable. I already paid $100 deductible there.

I'm happy with my car for the most part. I've only ever bought Dodge cars ever but i've been left very unsatisfied with the service with local dealers and worried about having to deal with that in the future if I get a new Dodge or if there's ever an instance where I need to take it for repairs out of warranty if my mechanic can't do it.

I tried finding other dealerships on yelp but they all seem to have terrible service reviews. Not sure if I'd be able to find any good replacements.

I'm hoping after this I only deal with my local mechanic that is a lot more personal.

Also the Dodge image hasn't been the same for me. It used to be the underdog and the minority alternative to the Mustang an Camaro. The Chargers and Challengers since the Hellcat unfortunately seemed to attract negative driving behaviors on the road and more targets for theft. It doesn't have that same cool retro old school image I liked but now gets stereotyped negatively for the wrong reasons. Also the price gouging and markups and V8 seemingly going away and the push for EV also has killed a bit of my hope for the future products. The local dealerships issues and long wait time for parts and service also discourages me.

All i've really known and paid attention to was Mopar. Strange for me to consider other options from maybe different brands and companies in the future without those issues. Need some advice with the dealerships and if you guys have any similar feelings, thoughts, and advice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I would go with both. Contact the GM and Dodge Care and have them escalate your issues for resolution. Shouldn't be your concern how the damage the dealership caused gets paid, it just needs to be replaced immediately. Sucks you are having all these issues. Hopefully Dodge Cares will get that resolved. As far as your paint and body work, I would notify your insurance provider, if you made a claim I assume, and let them know. I had an issue with a body shop years ago on an FJ Cruiser. The rear bumper on the FJ is unpainted matte black and those knuckle heads replaced the damaged one and painted it gloss black. The manager tried to get me to take it that way, I simply told him to keep it and I'll let my insurance company know about his bad practices. I use USAA, and he didn't want to have a bad rep with them, military town, and changed his tune quick. Anyway, try those methods. Hope you get some headway with those. All the best!

Btw, I say don't let it discourage you about the brand, especially your Challenger. I know it's tough with the issues you're having and what's on the horizon for the brand. At least you'll have a car that will be desirable sometime in the future.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
The Bacon Hauler (‘12 Cop Charger)
11,402 Posts
Issues with TSBs aren’t treated like safety recalls, the cost to implement the TSB fix is still borne by the owner if no warranty coverage left.

Speaking of warranty coverage, I don’t think your extended warranty would cover the interior trim pieces. It’s drivetrain only I think, so the trim pieces and their labor to replace would have to come out of pocket.

Reactions: Slowpoke392

·
Premium Member
11,217 Posts
Haven't had the best luck with my local dealerships. I've been to 3 now. First dealership and the bodyshop they work with damaged my car multiple times when I took it to fix orange peeling and paint issues when I bought the car and had to bring the car back to fix the damages they've done while fixing the original issue and when they said it was done and when I checked the vehicle there was new damages, had to bring it back multiple times and then they jacked up my car strangely on the rocker damaging the rocker that I eventually replaced out of pocket.

Second dealership wasn't as bad, they curbed my wheels but gave me credit to fix it but they tried to charge me for a differential service that had a known TBS. I had to contact corporate to get reimbursed partially.

The 3rd dealership seemed hopeful but then for some reason the service manager hasn't been responsive lately since January. Had de-lamination issues and had 8.4 Uconnect replaced now my Uconnect clock doesn't sync with the GPS so I need to manually update the time. My trim bezel tab(s) were also left broken in the car without informing me of the damage when they swapped the Uconnect. I've tried to contact the service manager for months via e-mail, voicemails, asking service department to forward my message to see when he is available to make an appointment to see if there is a software update that could fix the clock issue but haven't received any responses. The trim is like $600 but I think I should bring it up to have it replaced since it wasn't broken originally when I brought it in. Do you think it should be covered by warranty as in they should be reimbursed for breaking the tab(s) on the trim or would you think they have to pay out of pocket?

I still need to get the issues resolved before my warranty ends soon. Not sure if I should just drop by and try to find him or contact the general manager to see if he could help or contact DodgeCare to help me with the issue. I haven't heard back in like 6 months, which isn't really acceptable. I already paid $100 deductible there.

I'm happy with my car for the most part. I've only ever bought Dodge cars ever but i've been left very unsatisfied with the service with local dealers and worried about having to deal with that in the future if I get a new Dodge or if there's ever an instance where I need to take it for repairs out of warranty if my mechanic can't do it.

I tried finding other dealerships on yelp but they all seem to have terrible service reviews. Not sure if I'd be able to find any good replacements.

I'm hoping after this I only deal with my local mechanic that is a lot more personal.

Also the Dodge image hasn't been the same for me. It used to be the underdog and the minority alternative to the Mustang an Camaro. The Chargers and Challengers since the Hellcat unfortunately seemed to attract negative driving behaviors on the road and more targets for theft. It doesn't have that same cool retro old school image I liked but now gets stereotyped negatively for the wrong reasons. Also the price gouging and markups and V8 seemingly going away and the push for EV also has killed a bit of my hope for the future products. The local dealerships issues and long wait time for parts and service also discourages me.

All i've really known and paid attention to was Mopar. Strange for me to consider other options from maybe different brands and companies in the future without those issues. Need some advice with the dealerships and if you guys have any similar feelings, thoughts, and advice.
If I call and don’t get who I need I’ll go in person. They do not care about emails and messages, they do have to talk to me when I’m in front of them. They usually have a manager and he has a service director. Should that not get anything rolling there is a general manager and then the owner of the franchise.
I used to be very quiet and try by being nice, these days as I age I will get nose to nose with someone and if not treated well it’ll get ugly quickly. I had Ford in Dearborn Michigan call my dealer once and they made the dealership call and apologize over being douchebags and arrange to repair the issue without delay. See, I don’t play their games.

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Issues with TSBs aren’t treated like safety recalls, the cost to implement the TSB fix is still borne by the owner if no warranty coverage left.

Speaking of warranty coverage, I don’t think your extended warranty would cover the interior trim pieces. It’s drivetrain only I think, so the trim pieces and their labor to replace wound have to come out of pocket.
I still had original warranty left at the time it was 35,500 miles before 3 years. I think it was more than drivetrain for my Max care warranty. The trim pieces were broken by them when they removed it to replace the Uconnect that was covered under my extended warranty. Since they broke it they should replace it right? Even though it's not noticeable since it was a broken tab. I don't know how many tabs were broken since I found one piece and they never mentioned breaking it. I don't remember if the service manager mentioned replacing the broken trim for me, the paper work doesn't show it as far as I can tell

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would go with both. Contact the GM and Dodge Care and have them escalate your issues for resolution. Shouldn't be your concern how the damage the dealership caused gets paid, it just needs to be replaced immediately. Sucks you are having all these issues. Hopefully Dodge Cares will get that resolved. As far as your paint and body work, I would notify your insurance provider, if you made a claim I assume, and let them know. I had an issue with a body shop years ago on an FJ Cruiser. The rear bumper on the FJ is unpainted matte black and those knuckle heads replaced the damaged one and painted it gloss black. The manager tried to get me to take it that way, I simply told him to keep it and I'll let my insurance company know about his bad practices. I use USAA, and he didn't want to have a bad rep with them, military town, and changed his tune quick. Anyway, try those methods. Hope you get some headway with those. All the best!

Btw, I say don't let it discourage you about the brand, especially your Challenger. I know it's tough with the issues you're having and what's on the horizon for the brand. At least you'll have a car that will be desirable sometime in the future.

thanks for the advice, i'll try to e-mail the GM of the dealership and message Dodgecare, not sure if they have an e-mail tomorrow after I have my mechanic take a look at my car for an inspection and service if they notice anything else to bring up.

So I could have notified my insurance for paint defects that came from the factory to have it fixed at my bodyshop of choice instead of the bodyshop of choice of dealership that I bought the car at?

Regardless I guess I could have gone through insurance when they caused new damages after it came back from the bodyshop but i'm not sure if I could have had the factory defects fixed through insurance without having to pay out of pocket. If Dodge would have reimbursed me for that. It's too late now but good for reference.

I’m a Nurse, I work in Mental Healthcare.
It’s not healthy for you to go thru trauma, simply by enjoying a car, like the rest of us.
It’s going to bother you, if it isn’t resolved.
You may have to be confrontational.
thanks i'm generally not the most confrontational type and rarely raise my voice. I'd have to be firm but do you think it's reasonable to have them replace the whole trim if they broke at least 1 tab that I have evidence for? They might say it doesn't effect the function and you won't see it or something

·
Premium Member
11,217 Posts
thanks for the advice, i'll try to e-mail the GM of the dealership and message Dodgecare, not sure if they have an e-mail tomorrow after I have my mechanic take a look at my car for an inspection and service if they notice anything else to bring up.

So I could have notified my insurance for paint defects that came from the factory to have it fixed at my bodyshop of choice instead of the bodyshop of choice of dealership that I bought the car at?

Regardless I guess I could have gone through insurance when they caused new damages after it came back from the bodyshop but i'm not sure if I could have had the factory defects fixed through insurance without having to pay out of pocket. If Dodge would have reimbursed me for that. It's too late now but good for reference.
No emails, too easy to ignore or not take seriously. Go in person and speak to someone in a decision making capacity. You have 2 choices here 1, open your mouth. 2, open your wallet, it’s your choice. Be nice at first and if getting dicked around become more firm and don’t threaten or get nasty, make yourself understood.

thanks i'm generally not the most confrontational type and rarely raise my voice. I'd have to be firm but do you think it's reasonable to have them replace the whole trim if they broke at least 1 tab that I have evidence for? They might say it doesn't effect the function and you won't see it or something
You reply it came here intact and you want it as it was when brought there.
I too used to not be this way but got tired of being taken advantage of.

·
Registered
2022 Scat Pack Challenger
173 Posts
At some point if you can't see or it isn't causing an issue, just let it go. Some of that trim stuff is insanely easy to break a tab off and if it doesn't affect the function or appearance, I wouldn't sweat this small stuff. Life is too short. Trying to prove or get them own up to this isn't likely. Save the battle for stuff that is a real problem. Just how I would deal with that issue. And yeah the dealerships are really bad. I don't expect them to warranty much of anything on my car, and will be pleasantly surprised if they do. I assume even if the engine explodes, they are gonna find some reason it's not their fault.

·
Registered
22 Posts

Ah. I misunderstood. I thought the defects were from a fixed accident claim. Read into it wrong. So, no, the manufacturer should take care of that. Definitely contact Dodge Care and advise them you are having resolution issues with the dealer and you need Dodge Care to escalate your problems. Had a similar issue with my new 2022 Ram. The painted metal front bumper has some slight waves in and area that's not that noticable, but I did and it initially bothered me. I immediately contacted the manager and he set up an appt for me at a body shop where I was in AZ. I bought the truck in LA. That's customer service! I brought the truck in but decided not to bother with it due to the wait for parts and paint. I plan on replacing it with an off-road bumper anyhow.

·
Registered
2020 Challenger Redeye WB
417 Posts
Your insurance isnt going to pay out for factory defective paint. That’s a pipe dream. And as far as getting the dealer to pay for the trim, that is an uphill battle. You would have had to discover it before it left their facility. Now there’s no way to prove who did it.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I sensed you were a nice person.
Unfortunately now days, people try to take advantage of that.
The part is broken- it was not like that before you had it serviced.
It is not unreasonable to request the area be fixed to its prior condition.
I should clarify that confrontational wouldn’t mean a drive by or violence…
Just show up in person, and let them know you intend to pursue the matter

·
Registered
Special order. 6 speed manual
2,580 Posts
Orange peal on a Dodge is not a paint defect unless it is excessive compared to other like cars.

There isn't enough clear on a Challenger to wet sand all the orange peal out and still have enough UV protection to prevent paint failure.

If the dealer broke an interior trim piece, it's on them to replace it. Warranty is irrelevant. They broke it, they are the professionals, they buy you a new one.

Dodge does not allow any wheel repair where the damage goes beyond the painted surface. If the aluminum is scratched, they owe you a new replacement wheel. Dodge does not allow reconditioned or used wheels as replacements.

I keep telling people that most dealer bodyshops suck and I keep telling people to think long and hard before having a minor paint defect corrected under warranty at a dealer shop because it very well could come out worse. We have had more than one person here where a minor issue turn into a true disaster, including one buy back.

·
Registered
2016 Challenger R/T Scat Pack Pitch Black A8
2,581 Posts
I would go to the dealership if I had warranty issues that still needed to be taken care of. If you get the run around talk to the General manager. I had to do that recently for my son's car that I bought him. They actually told him to go to another dealer for warranty that they had repaired 6 months ago(transmission). I called and got a similar answer as he did. Called service manager, left message. Couple hours later I called the General manager, told him what had transpired, he walked into the service managers office and the next day the car was at the dealership and fixed the following day. It can't hurt to try. Good luck 👍

·
Registered
1,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Orange peal on a Dodge is not a paint defect unless it is excessive compared to other like cars.

There isn't enough clear on a Challenger to wet sand all the orange peal out and still have enough UV protection to prevent paint failure.

If the dealer broke an interior trim piece, it's on them to replace it. Warranty is irrelevant. They broke it, they are the professionals, they buy you a new one.

Dodge does not allow any wheel repair where the damage goes beyond the painted surface. If the aluminum is scratched, they owe you a new replacement wheel. Dodge does not allow reconditioned or used wheels as replacements.

I keep telling people that most dealer bodyshops suck and I keep telling people to think long and hard before having a minor paint defect corrected under warranty at a dealer shop because it very well could come out worse. We have had more than one person here where a minor issue turn into a true disaster, including one buy back.
Didn’t know I could have asked for a wheel replacement. Seems much but didn’t know it was an option. I’m not sure how likely they would have replaced the whole wheel.

Also in hindsight probably would have saved me a lot of hassle not touching the paint and just fixing the trunk alignment at the time

·
Registered
Special order. 6 speed manual
2,580 Posts
Didn’t know I could have asked for a wheel replacement. Seems much but didn’t know it was an option. I’m not sure how likely they would have replaced the whole wheel.

Also in hindsight probably would have saved me a lot of hassle not touching the paint and just fixing the trunk alignment at the time
A new wheel is their own corporate rule.
Font Screenshot Parallel Number Circle

·
Premium Member
11,217 Posts
That’s not anyone who can make anything happen, follow those threads and find me anyone with a complaint that had them get their issue resolved. It’s an entry level customer service person trying appease the bad public image for the company. Notice they don’t post a direct line phone number for anyone who can actually help.
Your dealership should be who takes care of you.

·
Super Moderator
18,132 Posts
I've had numerous bad experience with new GM cars - an '84, '86 and '92

the '84 had the door trim panel (hard molded plastic like the Challenger) - got a big crack through it after a few weeks - took 2 1/2 weeks (model was current in production)

my '86 had tubular steel exhaust manifolds - exhaust leak due to crack @ mounting flange. Dealer that did repair damaged many items (vacuum harnesses, electrical connectors not reconnected properly) and I had numerous oil leaks due to the careless tech that didn't bother to do the work right. Basic things - such as actually tightening down the valve cover bolts! And the vehicle looked as if someone rolled around in dirty service pit and then got all over the car (gritty, dirty grease)

36K miles and I had a filthy engine with oil leaks - threatened to beat the service managers @$$ if they touched the car again, they screwed things up so bad. The gave me the parts and I spend a long weekend doing what their idiot couldn't get right.

my '92 - had ratcheting noises from clutch due to faulty pressure plate (~ 9K miles) - it was in the shop for 28 days (model was in production). At day 30 I could have lemon lawed it...

Often with the GM dealers - they tried to deflect blame onto the customer for the defects...and you had to fight with them.

I haven't bought a GM vehicle in 30 years - and will never buy any of their brands again

Dealerships are only as good as the people that work in them - I've had for better service with Dodge than I had with GM. Had some warranty matters with both Challengers - but they were resolved far better than my GM dealer experiences

1 - 20 of 39 Posts