Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
Dodge Challenger RT Classic
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My car had been in an accident years ago. The back driver side quarter panel was damaged, and they repaired it badly. The wheel well liner basically looked the way it does in the below image. It was that which had clued me in that there had been an accident at all. There was no report and no carfax history of it. As a result, I recently had some rust to fix. They replaced the existing wheel well liner which had been there since the accident and this was the result:

The new liner fit the same way as the previous one. Badly. I found out that particular part has had two Part numbers 5028747AC and 5028747AD (the replacement) I think the ones that don't fit right are the new model and the one I need is the old 5028747AC. Has anyone else run across this ever? Am I right and if so, where do you get the original 5028747AC part?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I can't imagine that there would be any significant difference between the AC and AD part. Usually, it just that they changed suppliers or made a VERY minor change. Typically, the newer parts are "backward-compatible" with the older parts. I suspect that there is still a problem left-over from the repair that is causing the liner to fit poorly. Can you take a few more pictures of the rear=wheel area in general (further away so we can see more)? Just want to see the actual panel alignment, etc.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I'm also betting it's the "repair". I would be interested to see what the outer wheelhouse looks like (outer wheelhouse is behind the 1/4 and covered by the rear fender liner).

·
Premium Member
Dodge Challenger RT Classic
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
This is probably a waste of time because The difference in part numbers is probably just a change in suppliers, but I'd still like to eliminate the possibility. I'm still left with a wheel well liner that fits and looks like shit and might let a lot of water in behind there. When they replaced the rear fender that should have fixed any misalignment right? I saw where the cut was made across the C pillar to put the new fender on. If the fender was warped from the original accident, shouldn't that have been corrected by installing the new unwarped one? The attachment points should now line up right?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
23,571 Posts
5028747AC and 5028747AD are the same part. I suspect if you were to find a 5028747AC, it would only be because someone had it sitting in stock. 5028747AD supersedes 5028747AC, but would be as identical as one 5028747AC to another would be. If you google 5028747AC, most results will actually be the 5028747AD when you go there

A Guy

1 - 5 of 5 Posts