Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not very happy with Dodge at the moment.

I ordered and paid for my Scat Pack 1 PCM this past Monday, today my dealer informs me that they received a message from Dodge that even though the PCM is listed in the MOPAR 2017 catalog that it is not available for the 2017 models!

The 2017 model year cars have been available to the public since last September, almost 10 months now, and this part is still not available.

No release date known according to my dealer.

After 3 Challengers and 2 Chargers since 2015 I might start looking at other options.

DODGE really dropped the ball on this!

Feel free to spread the word.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Not very happy with Dodge at the moment.

I ordered and paid for my Scat Pack 1 PCM this past Monday, today my dealer informs me that they received a message from Dodge that even though the PCM is listed in the MOPAR 2017 catalog that it is not available for the 2017 models!

The 2017 model year cars have been available to the public since last September, almost 10 months now, and this part is still not available.

No release date known according to my dealer.

After 3 Challengers and 2 Chargers since 2015 I might start looking at other options.

DODGE really dropped the ball on this!

Feel free to spread the word.
Here ya go.
http://www.diablosport.com/shop/products.html
Challenger
MODIFIED PCM ONLY 2017 5.7L/6.4L CHALLENGER
★★★★★
$599.95 SKU: PCM-CHA

MODIFIED PCM & INTUNE I2 COMBO 2017 5.7L/6.4L CHALLENGER
★★★★★
$899.95 SKU: PKIT-CHALV817-I

MODIFIED PCM & TRINITY COMBO 2017 5.7L/6.4L CHALLENGER
★★★★★
$999.95 SKU: PKIT-CHALV817-T

·
Registered
269 Posts
Wow 5 cars in 2 years

·
Registered
472 Posts
Someone correct me if wrong, but didn't Luke of Steve White Motors state the Stage 1 PCM program was being terminated? Arrow Racing Engines tunes and supplies the Stage 1, 2, and 3 PCMs for Chrysler. Stages 2 and 3 can be ordered directly from their website, might be able to order Stage 1 directly over the phone.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Phasing these out is doing a lot of folks a favor. It was a good idea, that went bad right from the start.

Too costly for what each stage offered HP wise, and stage II and III were not "street legal". Not very many sold, so the writing has been on the wall for quite some time.

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
16,824 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Thanks for the input guys.

Trying to stay MOPAR for the warranty as this is for my DD that I put 100 miles on a day commuting.

As for the 5 in 2 years. I came from Jeeps for 20+years and when I saw the 2015 decided to switch. Started with an SXT to see if I could learn to like cars. After 9 months and 3 TCM later, traded up to an SRT that I kept for a year. Took a job OOT and then traded up to a 16 Hellcat and also a 16 SE Charger to commute with. Love the CAT, disliked the SE. It was too basic and too slow and not that good on gas mileage compared to the SRT. Found a 17 Daytona Charger 5.7 at 20% off MSRP so traded my 16SE for it.

I LOVE the 5.7 for the DD and commuter. The 5.7 is IMO a great car that is ideal for those of us who want a platform that has ample mods cheaply available.

Sent an email to MOPAR and are awaiting official word from them on what is going on, if it is available and if not when it might be.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Who cares on a DD?? You have a Hellcat to scratch the speed itch. If the 5.7 version isn't quick enough for you, get the SP version. The stage 1 PCM barely made a HP difference anyway.

·
Registered
Hellcat
979 Posts
Who cares on a DD?? You have a Hellcat to scratch the speed itch. If the 5.7 version isn't quick enough for you, get the SP version. The stage 1 PCM barely made a HP difference anyway.
I don't know what the HP difference is, but my SP1 upgrade took a full second off my 0 to 60 times and over half a second off my quarter mile time bringing me in the 13s. So I think it does make a difference. I used to smoke stock RTs at the track. It's a safe warranty covered mod for RTs.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't know what the HP difference is, but my SP1 upgrade took a full second off my 0 to 60 times and over half a second off my quarter mile time bringing me in the 13s. So I think it does make a difference. I used to smoke stock RTs at the track. It's a safe warranty covered mod for RTs.
I too instantly noticed the difference after the install on my 2014. Throttle response is improved, the car pulls/launches harder, and as an added bonus fuel economy consistently rates 1 mpg better than with the stock PCM.

OP, I suggest you speak with Luke at Steve White Motors regarding your warranty. According to the shipping labels on my Stage 1 PCM box (purchased from Steve White Motors), they sent an off-the-shelf replacement PCM to Arrow Racing Engines, who then tuned/calibrated the PCM to my vehicle/VIN, who then returned it to Steve White Motors, who then sent it to me thereafter with the invoice. Dodge would be hard pressed to void your warranty if you were to purchase the PCM directly from Arrow Racing Engines who designed the tune in the first place and is THE SP Stage 1/2/3 PCM supplier for Mopar. If its Arrow Racing Engines who is terminating the program, then the only alternative is an aftermarket tune/tuner.

·
Registered
255 Posts
No, it didn't. There were driver upgrades along the way there too. :smile:

A full second off 0 to 60 times from just upgrades would take what, 100 HP? The SP1 deal doesn't do that.

The OP has a 2017, so already has the better exhaust and just want the PCM. To add what, 15 HP? On a DD and for someone that has a HC waiting at home, I still say, who cares about the PCM.

·
Premium Member
9,348 Posts
I too instantly noticed the difference after the install on my 2014. Throttle response is improved, the car pulls/launches harder, and as an added bonus fuel economy consistently rates 1 mpg better than with the stock PCM.

OP, I suggest you speak with Luke at Steve White Motors regarding your warranty. According to the shipping labels on my Stage 1 PCM box (purchased from Steve White Motors), they sent an off-the-shelf replacement PCM to Arrow Racing Engines, who then tuned/calibrated the PCM to my vehicle/VIN, who then returned it to Steve White Motors, who then sent it to me thereafter with the invoice. Dodge would be hard pressed to void your warranty if you were to purchase the PCM directly from Arrow Racing Engines who designed the tune in the first place and is THE SP Stage 1/2/3 PCM supplier for Mopar. If its Arrow Racing Engines who is terminating the program, then the only alternative is an aftermarket tune/tuner.
I disagree, we are dealing with corporate greed here. If I had purchased the Mopar lift kit for my Wrangler and and had the dealer install it my warranty would be just fine BUT (there is always a but) if I buy and install that same kit myself they claim it's not covered.
Guess mama Chrysler didn't get her "fair share" of my money. The kit only goes on one way and no reason to play games. So I'll say yes, anything can happen. They make up stories, reasons and excuses as they go.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I disagree, we are dealing with corporate greed here. If I had purchased the Mopar lift kit for my Wrangler and and had the dealer install it my warranty would be just fine BUT (there is always a but) if I buy and install that same kit myself they claim it's not covered.
Guess mama Chrysler didn't get her "fair share" of my money. The kit only goes on one way and no reason to play games. So I'll say yes, anything can happen. They make up stories, reasons and excuses as they go.
Hopefully Luke will chime in with the details, but I believe it was Arrow Racing Engines that elected to terminate the program with Mopar, however, they (Arrow) continue to offer stage 2 and 3 PCMs on their site (and of which are supplied for the Mopar Stage 2 and 3 kits). Regardless if the PCM is purchased from Arrow Racing direct or Mopar it must be installed at the dealer, requiring the technician to enter the exact mileage into the PCM and initiate the electronic throttle control relearn procedure via their scan tool. With the PCM installed by Chrysler (regardless if purchased from Arrow Racing Engines direct or Mopar), there "should" be no warranty issues unless any engine damage can be directly attributed to the PCM. With that said, some manufacturer service departments (such as GM) now check for aftermarket tunes before servicing the vehicle and terminate the powertrain warranty if such is discovered...it may be just a matter of time before Chrysler does the same. Guaranteed warranty integrity, California emissions compliance, and keeping the drivetrain all OEM was the deciding factor for my Stage 1 PCM purchase. While the Stage 1 PCM didn't turn my 5.7 into a SP or HC, it did net some noticeable hp/tq gains and made the car more enjoyable to drive...definitely satisfied with the purchase. For the OP, you should still be able to obtain the Stage 1 PCM via the Stage 1 performance kit; it may just be the PCM (as a stand-alone part) is no longer available through Mopar.

·
Registered
9,350 Posts
Folks forget, or just don't realize, that these "Stages" were introduced when SRT was still a "brand", and technically a separate division of FCA. At that time, there was no way that a 392 drivetrain was going to go into a lowly "R/T".

The stages were introduced, and there was a delay in the availability of the I/II/III kits. They were advertised and made for the existing 5.7 folks who wanted more power, and keep their factory warranty.

In the meantime, SRT was drop kicked as a brand, and the stages started coming into the supply pipeline. The Scat Pack 392's were born, and the writing was pretty much on the wall for the I/II/III kits. With high kit cost, and the need for them to be installed by a dealer, the Stage III kit installed, was right at the cost of a Scat Pack for a 5.7 car with this installed option.

Add the fact that Stage II and III are not "street legal" for emissions, these were pretty much dead on arrival before they arrived! Only a handful of members here installed the II kits, and there were major headaches and runarounds with the back and forth between FCA and Arrow.................not what folks were expecting at all.

So, it shouldn't be any surprise that '17's are very "iffy" about ever happening. Bottom line, if a person is getting ready to buy a 5.7 car with the thought of adding a Stage II or III to get the power close to a 392, they might as well just buy the Scat Pack, and get the brake and suspension upgrades that come with the SP, for about the same cost as a new, modified 5.7 with the Stages.

Also, if you have a pre '11 car, the stages were never offered or available. .These upgrades were doomed from the start, but sure look nice in the catalog.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
This kind of crap is tipical of mopar
Stuff in the catalog that never available ,over priced or forever wait times. The vent kit for the T/A Hood comes to mind. Luckily I got mine early when there were still 2 kits in the system. After that people waited 9- 12 months to get them.

·
Registered
2016 challenger rt shaker
64 Posts
Would the SP stage 1 upgrade still be available for my 2016 R/T Shaker through the dealer? Has the whole program been stopped for all model years or just the 17's?

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
So after much back and forth with MOPAR I finally got a definitive answer.

The Scat Pack 1 PCM's are not yet available for the 2017 model year cars. It seems to be a programming/verify issue. It has yet to be determined if or when they may become available.

As far as the 2015/16 years I would call the dealer but I bet they are still available.

Not sure what direction I want to take my 5.7 now. Don't really want to spend any $$$$ modding it with MOPAR parts since no matter what I do it will still be basically a stock powered 5.7.

I know I could go aftermarket for lots of things but since it is my DD for a 100 mile day round trip commute I really want to keep the warranty intact.

Torn.

Input is appreciated.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Not sure what direction I want to take my 5.7 now. Don't really want to spend any $$$$ modding it with MOPAR parts since no matter what I do it will still be basically a stock powered 5.7.

I know I could go aftermarket for lots of things but since it is my DD for a 100 mile day round trip commute I really want to keep the warranty intact.

Torn.

Input is appreciated.

Leave it be and drive it as is. It's a DD that will get lots of miles put on it and you have a HC!! Why mod this one any??

1 - 20 of 20 Posts