Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 222 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Scat Pack, Octane red, A8
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I’ll be dammed! Street racer smashed into the back of my beautiful beast. I was honestly driving the speed limit just on my way home from work. About 3 or 4 Audis and BMWs blow past my drivers side (4 lanes one way, I’m in one of the middle lanes) and a second later one smashed into my driver’s rear fender. Happened too fast to notice him changing into my lane to pass his friends presumably. Now begins the claims process and mourning what was a pristine Scat Pack with a clean Carfax.😒 So far all seems to be on the up and up, he was apologetic and accepted fault, provided all his info. We’ll see how his insurance handles this assuming it is in fact valid. Won’t know until tomorrow.

Seems I remember reading that these cars were built with aluminum or stainless body panels? Anyone know?

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
probably some punk ass UTuber filming he and his buddies street racing.
Good luck Glad you are ok

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
18,549 Posts
That sucks in so many ways. Glad you came out OK, but I feel for you!

A Guy

Reactions: F8HemiRT

·
Registered
2018 Pitch Black SXT
1,985 Posts
Hate to hear that happening to you. Glad to know you are OK. Good luck to ya and hope everything goes well with the insurance and repairs.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I'm not sure it'll get totaled but we'll have to see what the insurance co comes up with. Some suspension bits, a few driveline parts (assuming the rear cradle didn't get tweaked), panels & paint and hopefully you'll be back out there before too long.

I would also guess most body shops would be GLAD to have some work right now considering...

Glad you're ok, hang in there !

·
Registered
871 Posts
Dude that is not cool. Glad you are ok. The stupid street racing by inexperienced drivers is uber lame. I’ve had 3 new cars in my life. Two were hit by stupid drivers. Only my Challenger remained accident free until I sold it and it wasn’t a daily driver.

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I'm not sure it'll get totaled but we'll have to see what the insurance co comes up with. Some suspension bits, a few driveline parts (assuming the rear cradle didn't get tweaked), panels & paint and hopefully you'll be back out there before too long.

I would also guess most body shops would be GLAD to have some work right now considering...

Glad you're ok, hang in there !
It's an easy total. I do this for a living. Only a shyster shop would bugger that back together.

I would make great money in total loss fees.

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
386 Posts
Apologetic or not, "Sorry" my alpha-sierra-sierra. I would have had a darn tough time keeping it in the holster. Credit to you for not going there.

·
Registered
2016 R/T Scat Pack
1,222 Posts
Man that sucks!! She is totaled. Looks like no rear door gap. The front door gap is wonky and the body line is off.

·
Super Moderator
15,745 Posts
with the impact that hard - its probably ripped the IRS cradle forward about 8-10" and as @OregonScat mentioned its a total.

there's a lot of structural damage as the rear trunk floor, rear floor pan, inner quarters are damaged (the outer skin is evidence of how much is moved out of original position. Probably 40% of the vehicle has damage under the outer skin - the level of disassembly and labor is beyond the value of the vehicle.

its a parts donor for whatever can be salvaged from the doors forward

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,959 Posts
I don't do body repair, at all. But I do know people that work in the business, and have seen much much worse looking damage on older cars repaired. And repaired right, typically something like if repair exceeds 60% of vehicle value.
Also, hard to tell with the lo-res picure, but the door looked ok to me, and the trunk. quarter panel, trunk floor, and a lot of bolt on stuff, sure, but I'd need to see it in person.
Either way, the good parts
1 you are ok
2 nobody else is hurt
3 the other guy owned up to it, and is unsured
if it gets repaired, get loss of value worked into the amount

·
Registered
2020 HellRaisin 1320
246 Posts
That sucks but glad no one was hurt. From what you described could of been worse if they caused some spin-outs with a chain reaction.

As for the car, it's all speculation until they tear that back end apart. But my guess is the whole back end will be pushed over to the passenger side. With that type of damage, and that type of car, back in my auto damage adjuster days, I would of tried as hard as I could to total it, unless the owner pleaded for it not to be totaled. I always tried to help people out if I could. But the repairs look to be a headache, and then when you're dealing with a 'car guy' like us, we know our cars better than the average joe, and I'd foresee months of back and forth of all sorts of tiny things not being "right".

Good luck with the process. Hope you get a good adjuster and it goes smoothly for you.

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Not an expert but with my limited exposure to car damage I'm with OregonScat. The car will be declared a total loss.

And you should push for this. That kind of damage is very labor intensive to put right -- if a shop will even want to tackle it -- and even if you found a shop that would -- there's always one -- the car will never be as right as when it left the factory.

What you need to do is gather up service records to show you treated the car well, took care of the car, and work to justify a suitable settlement.

·
Registered
386 Posts
...What you need to do is gather up service records to show you treated the car well, took care of the car, and work to justify a suitable settlement.
Good luck on that!

I am dealing with a claim on my wife's former daily driver. Totaled while parked & unoccupied, other driver 100% at fault for leaving the roadway, total loss. Excellent maintenance record, proactive replacement of wear items, etc. Insurance company refuses to consider any work not done within the past year. They refuse to acknowledge things I have added to the car (and their adjuster took pictures of), and they refuse to acknowledge factory equipment (how can you have 4x4 without Positraction?). They initially provided comps that were low-ball, and I decoded the VINs to discover they were 4-door models compared to our 2-door off-road wide-body model. Then they went nationwide to get comps that were low-ball from rust-belt states. Finally they sent me a letter closing the claim because I refused their offer.

Ultimately I am being forced to take the insurance company and the other driver to small claims court. I am not looking to get wealthy on the claim, but ultimately I cannot replace a reliable daily driver for what they are offering. We aren't that far apart either, less than $2k between what they are offering and what I think it is worth. CoVid put a stall on the process with the court being closed.

Where the OP is different here is the personal injury side of the equation. They will want you to sign off on a 'no injury' claim. Don't rush to do that if you have ANY issues. I think it is usually about two years before the settlement window closes. Insurance will want to quickly offer you a token payment to 'sign here and go away'. Make sure you are 100% healed from the accident before even talking about settling the personal injury claim. Document everything here - time off work & mileage to see a chiropractor, etc, all counts.

The OP does have the strength of this forum to help out. When it comes to finding comparable vehicles and determining value, this community should be able to provide similar vehicles and documentation on what was paid for them. With a bunch of comparable sales records, the insurance company will have a tough time debating value - they know all that could be brought to court to strengthen the plaintiff's case.

Hopefully that will get them to fold their cards and pay you a fair value. Remember, their goal is not to make you whole again. Their goal is to pay the minimum amount they can get away with. I know it sucks, but you will have to fight for it.

-Eric

·
Registered
516 Posts
Ultimately I am being forced to take the insurance company and the other driver to small claims court. I am not looking to get wealthy on the claim, but ultimately I cannot replace a reliable daily driver for what they are offering. We aren't that far apart either, less than $2k between what they are offering and what I think it is worth.
Years ago in college I slid into a parked car when making a left turn in snow & ice coming down a hill/going too fast and the owner didn't get what he wanted from my insurance co and took me to court for the difference. The judge said (I'm paraphrasing) that you can't sue the at-fault party for diminished value/loss etc because you didn't get a desirable settlement from their insurance company. That's the point of having insurance in the first place - to prevent people from having to go to court every time there's a car accident. He immediately dismissed the claim.

Didn't make me feel like less of a jerk though, still cringe thinking about it today, 20 yrs later...full size Chevy truck (me) v. Saturn (them) didn't end well for the plastic car. I'm no lawyer but you might want to look into this.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
As stated, the unseen damage here is major and could lead to it's demise. Rolled a three year old 66 GTO one night and thought it was over but to my amazement, they decided to repair it. Gutted the whole car, removed and replaced the roof along with a few panels. A repaint and six months later it's back on the street, only to be stolen and burnt to the ground a few months later, bummer. It had a hard life for sure. Hope it all works out for you, whatever direction it goes...

HOT ROD ON

·
Registered
386 Posts
...The judge said (I'm paraphrasing) that you can't sue the at-fault party for diminished value/loss etc because you didn't get a desirable settlement from their insurance company...
Interesting. I have to represent myself in small claims court, I cannot be represented by an attorney. However, I do have access to legal assistance through one of those employee benefit programs, and I sought their advice. They told me specifically to name the owners of the vehicle along with the insurance company. Maybe the difference here is I have not accepted anything from the insurance company despite them closing the claim without my consent. Not fun, I am not looking forward to the confrontation.

-Eric

1 - 20 of 222 Posts