Dodge Challenger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
On Order - 2020 Scat Pack Hellraisin Shaker
199 Posts
Looked up the location on Google Earth. Looks like auto row? Wonder if any of the businesses have street facing security cameras that may have captured the reckless driving by the other vehicles....as accessories to the accident, potentially being liable to the cause. For example brake-checking the Audi, forcing them to the sudden lane change.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Couldn't find a SR6, guessing you meant an Audi RS6.-Eric
Yes, RS6 is what I meant. And to be fair it is a 2003 model so not as valuable as later models, maybe worth $17k? It was also a very clean example so losses all around. I may ask an attorney for advice.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Looked up the location on Google Earth. Looks like auto row? Wonder if any of the businesses have street facing security cameras that may have captured the reckless driving by the other vehicles....as accessories to the accident, potentially being liable to the cause. For example brake-checking the Audi, forcing them to the sudden lane change.
Hmmm? Very good point that I did not consider🤔

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
17,012 Posts

·
Registered
516 Posts
Interesting. I have to represent myself in small claims court, I cannot be represented by an attorney. However, I do have access to legal assistance through one of those employee benefit programs, and I sought their advice. They told me specifically to name the owners of the vehicle along with the insurance company. Maybe the difference here is I have not accepted anything from the insurance company despite them closing the claim without my consent. Not fun, I am not looking forward to the confrontation.

-Eric
It certainly sucks, yes. The fact you haven't accepted a settlement is good though, but I suspect the judge may tell you the situation comes down to you v the insurance company. That said, filing a claim may get them to up their offer since it'll prob cost them more $ to go to court(?). Honestly I have no idea how any of this works. And I didn't mean to discourage you, just passing along the (shitty) experience I had in a similar situation. Best of luck!

·
Registered
516 Posts
So thanks all of you for the feedback. Lots to consider. Here’s where it stands as of today. The other driver’s adjuster told me he’s admitted fault and they will work the claim from that angle. Their concern however is that the repairs will exceed his liability coverage limit ($10k, state minimum required).
WTF $10k?? You need to contact your state rep, that's crazy low! Especially these days where a set of headlamps runs $3k+!!

Glad you have your insurance to step in, CANNOT imagine having to pay to fix your car from an accident you didn't cause. Pretty sure that'd put me over the edge/lose what little sanity I have left. Keep us posted/hang in there !

·
Registered
2018 Scat Pack SHAKER in Plum Crazy
1,605 Posts
Thanks for the more details, hoping it goes as good as it can for you.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Once again thanks to you all for helping me think this through. I took emichael’s suggestion and yesterday after work went back to the scene. I took more photos of very dark skid marks I hadn’t noticed that day. They tell the story vividly. The impact was much further away from where I finally rolled to a stop than I thought. It was almost two blocks! You see his double skid marks for about 50 feet (when he realized he’d f**ked up) gradually veering from his lane into mine. Then maybe 20 feet of clean road (point of impact) and finally my single left rear wide black patch for maybe 150 feet because the wheel was wedged into the wheel well.

Further, I have at least one of the businesses consent to write a statement that they saw it happen and another’s security video footage. It unfortunately sees literally feet after the impact, but more than enough enough that it’s clear what just happened and that it exactly backs what I’ve already said in multiple statements. It was actually sickening for me to watch. Today I’m off work and will go back to check with other businesses about security video footage that may better capture the other racer drivers’ plates.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #49 (Edited)
My single skid patch veers left because the hit was hard enough that in knocked my car off course. Without posting excessive photos, the mark goes for about 150ft then fades as the wheel dislodged settling at an angle riding on the corner of the tire but mostly rolling for about another 50 feet until I pulled to the side of the road.

I have tree trimmers coming this morning so I’ll have to wait before I can get out to look for more video footage.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
393 Posts
Once again thanks to you all for helping me think this through. I took emichael’s suggestion and yesterday after work went back to the scene. I took more photos of very dark skid marks I hadn’t noticed that day. They tell the story vividly. The impact was much further away from where I finally rolled to a stop than I thought. It was almost two blocks! You see his double skid marks for about 50 feet (when he realized he’d f**ked up) gradually veering from his lane into mine. Then maybe 20 feet of clean road (point of impact) and finally my single left rear wide black patch for maybe 150 feet because the wheel was wedged into the wheel well.

Further, I have at least one of the businesses consent to write a statement that they saw it happen and another’s security video footage. It unfortunately sees literally feet after the impact, but more than enough enough that it’s clear what just happened and that it exactly backs what I’ve already said in multiple statements. It was actually sickening for me to watch. Today I’m off work and will go back to check with other businesses about security video footage that may better capture the other racer drivers’ plates.

View attachment 992138
That looks further west than I was thinking. Isn't that a big empty lot where Spokane Chrysler Plymouth used to be and then the paint store that burned down was?

I did a couple of searches yesterday just to see if someone on an Audi forum had posted about wrecking his car, but came up blank.

This sucks. If you need a lawyer, Timothy Nodland did a great job for us when my wife was rear ended sitting at a light. Might be worth sitting down and see what he says, don't think it would cost anything.

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
Yup, the point of impact was directly parallel with the Rodda paint sign that’s still up though the lot is excavated. Also parallel with the service entrance of Dave Smith Nissan on the opposite side of the road. I’m thinking to check with businesses before the crash sight for footage that shows the group racing because the footage I’ve obtained showed them slowing in response to the crash. In fact it makes my car seem to be speeding because the impact hurled me forward from 35mph to maybe 50mph in less than a second.

I’ll probably at least consult with an attorney who would know more than I do. For some reason though I feel like it’s just going to be my insurance eating repair costs then getting the 10k from his insurance. Then me left with a car worth half it’s original value.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts

View attachment 992138
Cheeze N Rice, Glad you are okay. Too bad the at fault driver lived though.....

·
Registered
199 Posts
... I was traveling 35mph in one of the middle lanes at about 2 blocks before the intersection with Thierman Rd ...The first of this group blew past my drivers side at probably double my speed or more, followed by two more in less than a second...
...You see his double skid marks for about 50 feet (when he realized he’d f**ked up) ...
...In fact it makes my car seem to be speeding because the impact hurled me forward from 35mph to maybe 50mph in less than a second...
Sounds like they were going a lot faster than double your speed. That would have been 70mph vs. your 35mph for an impact speed of 35mph. Yet they left skid marks for 50 feet (reducing speed) before the impact and still had enough kinetic energy to accelerate your 4200lbs car to 50mph. I am not an accident investigator, but that sure sounds like they were well over double the limit.

Please don't post any medical information to which you will have to be accountable toward later if this goes to court....but dang! My wife has been in a few rear-end accidents at a lot less speed differential, and she always ends up with something tweaked in her back. Often it doesn't show up until after the immediate post-accident tension goes away.

Washington State Law regarding 'Racing of Vehicles on Highways' to which I will note East Sprague Avenue is an Interstate 90 branch according to my map. Don't get me wrong - I am hanging out on a forum for fast cars, so I will acknowledge my guilty status without being charged. However there is a big difference between stretching it out on an open road, and playing in traffic.

I did a couple of searches yesterday just to see if someone on an Audi forum had posted about wrecking his car, but came up blank.
That is a really good idea. Please post if you happen to get any information, including pictures, from the various security cameras. I just did a YouTube search for Audi RS6. Lots of videos out there. Knowing what other cars were racing would be good too. Even money says at least one of them can be found on-line. Give us some data to search for - many of us are at home right now bored out of our minds due to CoVid.

My thinking.... If this jerk has done this before and is stupid enough to brag about it on the Internet, that makes this a pattern of consistent reckless behavior. And it may not be this clown, it could be one of his pals posting a video which is incriminating. If/when this goes to court, that could be the evidence needed to make the defense settle.

All that said.... I still think some retail therapy may be the best solution. :cool:

-Eric

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Wow really thanks guys. It’s so difficult for me alone to think up all these angles. More details as best I can recall about the other cars:
First one to blow by me was a gold BMW 740i 4 door, maybe 2000 model year. To add insult to injury he doubled back around the block to see what happened. He rolled slowly by while holding his phone up, either taking photos or video. I hadn’t yet regained my wits enough to snap a pic of him/plate. He looked to be about 50ish dark hair.
The next one I think was a black Audi TT 2000-2010 maybe. At least it had that rounded off front and rear design. It has a wide body kit and lowered.
The third I can’t recall what it was but seems like it was either another BMW or Audi. This one was right next to the black Audi.
I think the fourth was the silver 2003 Audi RS6 V8 Biturbo that hit me, but seems like there was a fifth black European sedan in this group, I can’t be certain. They all only slowed for a moment at the intersection to rubberneck then sped away.
The video I have is choppy so it’s hard to verify how many and exactly what types of vehicles there were.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
393 Posts
I wonder if there is an underground street race scene in the area, with a website. I know if I was going to being that kind of stuff and posted it on the web, I would want it to be a closed forum that doesn't show up on google searches.

The WB TT should be easy to spot. Kind of seems like I have seen one before. I see stuff like that once in a while coming from or going to the AF base.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I wonder if there is an underground street race scene in the area, with a website...
So far I have assumed, but not asked.... When you exchanged insurance information, is the guy local or from elsewhere in the state?

·
Registered
2016 Scat Pack
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
So far I have assumed, but not asked.... When you exchanged insurance information, is the guy local or from elsewhere in the state?
He’s local. Aside from this bonehead move, seems like a decent guy. I looked at his FB to see just two weeks ago he bought this Audi after years of saving. I feel bad for him yet pissed at him at the same time.

·
Registered
199 Posts
He’s local. Aside from this bonehead move, seems like a decent guy. I looked at his FB to see just two weeks ago he bought this Audi after years of saving. I feel bad for him yet pissed at him at the same time.
Yeah, that does cloud the emotions a bit, being one car guy to another. Make me wonder if he was street racing with his homies, or if they were a random group and he thought 'I can play along too'.

·
Registered
‘15 R/T 6M STP
393 Posts
I'm betting there is more of this on East Sprague that most people are aware of. It's a wide, one way road and with the current restrictions could be pretty empty.

My gut says these guys don't know each other and two of them started messing around and the others join in as they were sitting at lights. Two pull up and sped off at the green and someone says "oh you think you are fast, do you...". It's a long road, with lot's of lights. Plenty of time to "collect" 2-3 others.

The other thing I have seen more recently with the stay-at-home order is people getting pissed off and doing stupid things. Wonder if this was kind of a road rage thing where it started with two pissed off individuals and ended with 3 more trying to keep up and pass.

41 - 60 of 166 Posts