Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Need some help! I have a 2010 rt 6 speed cloth seats. When i get out of the car with it running i get a strong static poke and the whole dash cluster goes dead then starts back up. i took it back to the dealer they said cant find anything wrong. I am sure the voltage is causing the computer to reset its self and that cannot be good! Anybody have this problem?
Thanks for the help

·
Super Moderator
15,972 Posts
What you can do is apply anti-static spray to the upholstery.

Nylon based materials tend to create static and the resulting ESD - this is not good for electronics (today's stuff may be hardier, but still...). A strong discharge could blow out a sensitive component.

I had this happen many years backwith a piece of stereo equipment when I walked across the wall-to-wall, touched off a spark and fried a control circuit.

A friends mid-80s Mercury would do that really badly you got ESD touching the interior door handle, the door, etc. It was really annoying.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
i cant see how that will work unless you strap it to your body.

thst strap is meant to prevent your cars body from becoming charged to keep the dust off it.

what is happening here is the drivers clothes are rubbing on the seat- both are insulators. that causes a static charge to build up and the opposites attract leaving the person positively or negatively charged. Then when the person touches a grounded item ZAP if hes positively charged.

I will say, if the driver is charging up thru seat static, BE VERY CAREFUL getting gas. touch the metal of the pump to ground yourself before filling the tank. if you arc out to the filler neck when the gas fumes are escaping, you could set your set ablaze.

google it if you dont believe me.

Static electricity gas station fire

snopes.com: Static and Refueling Fires

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help! I will try that static guard to see if that makes it better.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
My friend had a Vette, like an '84 or so with the same issue. He would get a huge spark off his fingers when he got in or out of it. It never caused any damage, but he would always touch the bottom of the dash before he did anything else getting in, and when he got out too.

I knew a guy who was badly burned when he got a broom and tried to sweep gas into the floor drain after a gas can had been tipped over somehow. The static from the broom set the gas off, and he was burned badly enough he had to retire and go on disability. His hands got most of it, they were pretty useless the rest of his life. He never even thought about nylon bristles and static.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts