Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 R/T Classic 6sp manual and I noticed some loud growling noise coming from under he hood. (Not the good rumbly Hemi noise, but more like bad bearing noise.) I checked all around and found the input shaft on the water pump had a lot of play. I tok the car in and they finally agreed with my diagnosis after first replacing an idler pulley, that indeed he water pump was bad. Here's the rest of the story, my car only has 9000 miles, and the part is on national back order and I was told it can be days to weeks until it comes in. Has there been a lot of premature failures on these water pumps? Maybe I suck at google searching, but I really didn't see many threads.

·
Premium Member
4,033 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Which stealership are you dealing with? Southern Dodge service manager hates me but the rest of them are ok so far I've always been right and they quickly fix my issues as fast as they can (to get me out of there)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's funny you mention them, yep it's Southern Dodge. And also, yes they replaced he pulley even though the water pump had play. They did hook me up with a pretty nice loaner vehicle, I got a fully loaded Durango Citadel until the part comes in. I've had an issue with them before when they put a large gouge in my pain on my front bumper when they were checking a charging light issue I had before. (Turned out to just be a loose wire) they did repaint my bumper, but it seems like every visit to their shop ends up being two visits because they screw something up on the first one.

·
Registered
183 Posts
My water pump failed at just over 20K miles.

The bearing was making a noise but the pump was not leaking and the car never over heated.

It was still under warranty so it was no big deal.

I have put approx. 5K miles on the replacement water pump without any issues thus far.

Hoping it is the last water pump I will need.

Cheers!

·
Registered
75 Posts
My V6 has 15,000 miles and is on its 2nd water pump. 1st replacement was at 4,000 miles.

·
Registered
1 Posts
MY 2013 RT Challenger water pump starting making bearing noise at 14.5k - car 4 yrs old. Must be those Mexican bearings.

·
Registered
405 Posts
MY 2013 RT Challenger water pump starting making bearing noise at 14.5k - car 4 yrs old. Must be those Mexican bearings.

My 2014 RT hit those miles this fall…so far so good but I don't have a warranty.

·
Registered
2017 Scat Pack Shaker
9 Posts
Mine is being replaced at 20k miles on 2017 SPS

·
Registered
2016 R/T
102 Posts
just sent this to Dodge, my guess is it's the water pump.

Hello, VIN ************** 2016 Challenger R/T, car is making a sound from motor like bearings
going out in something? Had 2 other mechanics listen to it and they agreed something is wrong. One
thought water pump, other thought maybe cam shaft. Either way I made an appointment at Dealer
**********. They can’t get me in until 2/21/18. It’s my only car so I have to drive it, would think they could get me in sooner,
but I guess not. Just wanted Dodge to know. 12,750 approx. miles……thanks.

·
Registered
2016 R/T
102 Posts
It was the water pump....12,750 miles on it.....They were told ( I'm guessing by Dodge ) to make sure you put the new water pump part number on it, not the old part number....guessing it was a bad run of water pumps? Anyways it sounds better!

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,846 Posts
It was the water pump....12,750 miles on it.....They were told ( I'm guessing by Dodge ) to make sure you put the new water pump part number on it, not the old part number....guessing it was a bad run of water pumps? Anyways it sounds better!
That bad run of water pumps must have been over several years then...my 2013 GC pump failed around 23K miles. The one the dealership replaced it with just failed at 75K miles. We'll see how long the inexpensive water pump from Rock Auto lasts.

http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/8084617-post43.html

·
Registered
182 Posts
My 2014 rt needed new water-pump at 14000 dealer did it this spring under warranty when they did alternator recall. Bearing shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
2017 392 Scat Pack Shaker Bad Water Pump <9k miles

Took car to dealership about a month ago due to a low strange/odd noise coming from under the hood. Didn't find anything wrong and they told me "that's what a hemi SHOULD sound like". Fast forward to last week, noise significantly increased upon starting to the point that I thought it was going to breakdown on my way to the dealership. Initially said I had a bad alternator but informed me yesterday that it's the water pump and they will replace pump, and all belts. The water pump is "suppose" to be in in the next 3-5 days. Car has less than 9k miles so very disappointing to read that others are experiencing this as well. Will update thread once installed and time to determine if this fixed the issue.

·
Registered
6,530 Posts
Oh crap my 2015 R/T has 9k miles on it, when is the warranty up? I really need to beat the tar out of this thing to get it replaced before the warranty is up.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts