Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A new IE 392 showed up at my local dealership last week so I dropped by today to have a look at it (bastards wouldn't let me drive it)...

While I was sitting inside I noticed something wasn't quite right: The trim on the door (that is supposed to be white leather) was SCREWED UP from the factory!

On ONE door, it was white leather and on the other, it was the "regular SRT" dark slate colour suede!!!! I thought that was HILARIOUS!

At first I was thinking "maybe they got confused and put the wrong interior on the door" but I noticed the door also had blue stitching which I assume means it is supposed to be an IE edition!

THE WORST PART was the sales-guy who didn't believe me that the car was screwed up... he was trying to explain to me that it must be like that on purpose "because the driver would be more likely to get the white trim dirty from putting his arm there, so they put suede on one side versus the other which would have people sitting there less often" BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHHAA!!! I was like "are you 'effin kidding me right now??? I'm TELLING you this is not the way it is supposed to come from the factory"

How could Dodge miss this in quality control and let it go down the road!??? :scratchhead: :notallthere:

I think the number on the car was 308 of 392 (can't be sure though)

PICS:

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
Could it be that the dealer is attempting to change it and just have not gotten to the other door? That is a poor mistake. :(

Edit: I read your post in full. Hard to believe that it is the same car.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could it be that the dealer is attempting to change it and just have not gotten to the other door? That is a poor mistake. :(
Nope, dealership said the car had JUST come off the truck... went from the truck to this parking spot and they hadn't even checked it over yet to be entered into their inventory (PDI'd I think it's called?)

·
Premium Member
541 Posts
The silver handle on the door says that this was supposed to be an IE 392 door. Definitely a mistake from the factory.

·
Registered
448 Posts
Instantly collectible classic, it's worth a premium over other cars! Watch the Dealership add a custom markup to it.

·
Registered
3,733 Posts
I believe Katskin does the interior for the IE's??? Ive seen this before but not on an IE. I saw a few 300c's with mismatched door pannels and also a Sebring.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Same thing happened on the bodyside trim on my Dad's 75 unCharger. One side had the large Cordoba trim, the other had the smaller Charger trim. We ended up with a rather unique 75 Charger SE with Cordoba trim because of that. Wish we still had that car, even if it wasn't really a muscle car/Charger.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
... he was trying to explain to me that it must be like that on purpose "because the driver would be more likely to get the white trim dirty from putting his arm there, so they put suede on one side versus the other which would have people sitting there less often" ...
Good ole dealers... always ready with an answer no matter what the question is and no matter how wrong the answer is. Actually though, there is no 392, all you 392 owners are just delusional. Dealer here told me the 6.1 was "the big hemi" and there was nothing in the "official channels" about the 392.

Of course he was trying to sell me a 6.1 :)

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Thats just crazy..and it made it past QA/QC like that.....wow!

·
Registered
411 Posts
I did new car prep while in high school in the 70's at a local CP dealer and this kind of stuff was routine back then.

Given the fit and finish of many of the Challengers I have seen ( including my new 11 ) this does not surprise me.

Nice to know our throwback 70's cars get throwback 70's build quality too! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
891 Posts
Maybe not as dramatic as your story, but I saw mistake on an IE here. It was the first one in town, a white iE. This was the very first 2011 Challenger I had seen, so I looked it over quite carefully. Looking at the rear, I noticed the SRT8 badge on the rear spoiler. It didn't have the red paint on it, it was all chrome. Being the first 2011 I'd seen, I assumed this was the new badge. I thought "Oh well, they got rid of the black spoiler, I guess they changed the badge, although I thought the red on the badge was cool. Of course, every 2011 I've seen since has the red on the badge. An honest mistake, no big deal. Collectible? Maybe, but it 5-10 years, when someone sees it on the road, they will just think an idiot restored it.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Are they pushing the factory so hard that screw ups like this are likely? I mean the Challenger and especially the IE's are not what I would call high volume.

Things like this give Dodge a black eye. You would think the least they could do is give the car a visual once over, interior and exterior for OBVIOUS problems.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Just amazing - especially the apparent absence of quality control.

This sort of thing just does not happen on imports. Or, for that matter, on Mustangs and Camaros.

I hope Dodge realizes that this sort of thing turns off potential car buyers, like me. Still looking for an absolutely compelling reason to buy here - like a car without rattles / paint problems / whatever in SOME KIND OF COLOR for a reasonable price.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Improved Quality Control my A$$ ! :fight: Even if the QC guy was color blind, he should have noticed the difference from black and white! :notallthere:, let alone the regular production workers! :bash:

Get the VIN so we can try and run it on insight to see if it was built on a day there was a hockey game on. :saythat::canada:

:scratchhead:

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
I worked in a Ford dealer back in the '70's and saw this all the time.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
My work takes me into the local GM plant, and several Tier1 plants. I have seen close to everything, as far as screw ups go.

Mistakes happen due to "training", or lack of, just honest mistakes (we are human), and oldest problem in the book........."It Ain't My Job"

I'll leave it at that.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I worked in a Ford dealer back in the '70's and saw this all the time.
I will never forget when I bought my 85 Mustang GT very the owners manual came in a package with the logo stamped on it " UAW - FORD Qualty is Job One "

Yes, Qualty might have been job one...but QUALITY was around job 200.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
so a blatant screw up on the flagship car equates to
there was this ford , chev blah blah blah
LMAO !
THOU SHALT NOT SPEAKETH NEGATIVE ABOUT THESE HALLOED CARS 1

1 - 20 of 27 Posts