Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I certainly had a crappy Monday last week…

I work in Georgetown, TX on the outskirts of Austin and have to navigate 18.2 miles each way through country roads to get there. Deer all over the place but I’ve never hit one, not even a close call. Monday, at o-dark thirty, I was in downtown Georgetown during rush hour traffic on a cloudy, rainy day where I have never seen a deer, raccoon, skunk, armadillo, possum or anything else except for flies and mosquitoes. The closest thing we have to wildlife here is the occasional drunk college student from Southwestern University and they usually stay off the roads. Well, I was 200 yards from work when Bambi appeared out of nowhere crossing right in front of me. I was already on top of it with no time to hit the brakes and BANG! I checked my rear view mirror but it had already run off, probably to die a slow death of broken ribs and internal bleeding (that’s the real tragedy which I still feel really bad about, not wanting to see any animal suffer).

Fortunately, I was only traveling 35 mph so the car was not totaled, just some minor dents and dings. Actually, about $7,000 worth of minor dents and dings (att)...

Doesn’t really look that bad, right? Well, the aluminum hood has to be replaced at $900 but surprisingly enough the big money part is the headlight assembly at $1,600 – the thing must be made of gold… As one might expect, the labor and paint make up most of the estimate. Meanwhile, for the next two or three weeks I am stuck in what Enterprise claims is a full-size car – a Hundai Sonata. It has custom features such as filthy windows, plenty of cheap plastic and an astonishing inability to get out its own way. I already miss my baby... :SM002:

Attachments

·
Registered
537 Posts
Sorry about your accident Fat Max. I feel bad for both you and the deer. I think the headlight assy cost may be high due, in part, to those fancy headlights if they're broken internally. Good Luck with the repair and enjoy the Sonata..... :smile:

·
Super Moderator
16,094 Posts
Doesn’t really look that bad, right? Well, the aluminum hood has to be replaced at $900 but surprisingly enough the big money part is the headlight assembly at $1,600 – the thing must be made of gold… As one might expect, the labor and paint make up most of the estimate.

the Xenon / HID headlights are "bi-xenon" where it has an electro-mechanical shutter for low / high beam function with the single bulb setup.

For comparison, the 300s have "smart beam" headlights that auto-level and turn with the steering at low speeds - and those are $1,600 per side...

·
Registered
733 Posts
Just got mine back! 6k, didn't have to replace the hood. Take your time and find a great body shop. Also, do not go with a preferred production line shop. Get the check to you. I found an awesome shop and bought my own emblems and already had a set on new headlights in the box. I also saved $500 by paying cash. Glad to have her back!

IMG_20181118_14134996_1542831432450.jpg
Well I certainly had a crappy Monday last week…

I work in Georgetown, TX on the outskirts of Austin and have to navigate 18.2 miles each way through country roads to get there. Deer all over the place but I’ve never hit one, not even a close call. Monday, at o-dark thirty, I was in downtown Georgetown during rush hour traffic on a cloudy, rainy day where I have never seen a deer, raccoon, skunk, armadillo, possum or anything else except for flies and mosquitoes. The closest thing we have to wildlife here is the occasional drunk college student from Southwestern University and they usually stay off the roads. Well, I was 200 yards from work when Bambi appeared out of nowhere crossing right in front of me. I was already on top of it with no time to hit the brakes and BANG! I checked my rear view mirror but it had already run off, probably to die a slow death of broken ribs and internal bleeding (that’s the real tragedy which I still feel really bad about, not wanting to see any animal suffer).

Fortunately, I was only traveling 35 mph so the car was not totaled, just some minor dents and dings. Actually, about $7,000 worth of minor dents and dings (att)...

Doesn’t really look that bad, right? Well, the aluminum hood has to be replaced at $900 but surprisingly enough the big money part is the headlight assembly at $1,600 – the thing must be made of gold… As one might expect, the labor and paint make up most of the estimate. Meanwhile, for the next two or three weeks I am stuck in what Enterprise claims is a full-size car – a Hundai Sonata. It has custom features such as filthy windows, plenty of cheap plastic and an astonishing inability to get out its own way. I already miss my baby...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got mine back! 6k, didn't have to replace the hood. Take your time and find a great body shop. Also, do not go with a preferred production line shop. Get the check to you. I found an awesome shop and bought my own emblems and already had a set on new headlights in the box. I also saved $500 by paying cash. Glad to have her back!

View attachment 934111
Now that is a pretty blue! I'm jealous... If I had the money, I would make them repaint the whole thing like yours.

I did my research and God’s local gift to the auto body industry in my area also happens to be one of the preferred shops. They are an Audi shop and I understand have the 2 best painters around. In the interest of quality I went with them and also because I am a lot more physically imposing than the shop manager (for the record, 6’3” 230lbs of ex-weightlifter isn’t all that fat, although with my medical history one punch to the guts would require an emergency hysterectomy). So, I laid out my expectations for him like perfect paint matching, consistent gaps and all the good stuff that Mark Worman at Graveyard Carz teaches us. I’m with you on emblems and I would much rather see “392” as opposed to “6.4L.” After all, I am an American and so realize that 392 cubic inches puts out a lot more power than 6.4 liters... :lol:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Thanks. Deep water blue pearl metallic. Go with Nate at rebadge for your emblems. He does incredible work. Here's a shot of the custom one he did for me this time. www.******************
IMG_20181113_134911~2_1542836894084.jpg

View attachment 934111
Now that is a pretty blue! I'm jealous... If I had the money, I would make them repaint the whole thing like yours.

I did my research and God’s local gift to the auto body industry in my area also happens to be one of the preferred shops. They are an Audi shop and I understand have the 2 best painters around. In the interest of quality I went with them and also because I am a lot more physically imposing than the shop manager (for the record, 6’3” 230lbs of ex-weightlifter isn’t all that fat, although with my medical history one punch to the guts would require an emergency hysterectomy). So, I laid out my expectations for him like perfect paint matching, consistent gaps and all the good stuff that Mark Worman at Graveyard Carz teaches us. I’m with you on emblems and I would much rather see “392” as opposed to “6.4L.” After all, I am an American and so realize that 392 cubic inches puts out a lot more power than 6.4 liters...

·
Premium Member
911 Posts
" I’m with you on emblems and I would much rather see “392” as opposed to “6.4L.” After all, I am an American and so realize that 392 cubic inches puts out a lot more power than 6.4 liters... :lol: "

Haha, that's classic, love it!

·
Registered
44 Posts
" I’m with you on emblems and I would much rather see “392” as opposed to “6.4L.” After all, I am an American and so realize that 392 cubic inches puts out a lot more power than 6.4 liters... :lol: "

Haha, that's classic, love it!
It is so great i have added the quote to my signature line - giving full credit to Fat Max of course...

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Sorry man, if that was my baby I would just cry. Glad you were not hurt. Post a pic for us when you get her back!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boy, so many beautiful, custom cars you guys have. Kinda makes me feel like the ugly chick at the prom… The price tag has gone up another $900 but that should be all. My car is supposed to be done on Friday. That means it’s time to call them and reiterate my expectations regarding gaps, matching paint, buffer marks, etc…

Also, thanks 406 - you honor me sir!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Order has been restored...

The beast has made a triumphant return!

After 5 agonizing weeks of suckage I finally got my baby back. Why so long for relatively minor damage? There are 2 reasons. First, I let the shop know up front what my expectations were: matching paint, even gaps on all of the body panels and no swirl marks from the buffer. Second, my chosen shop, with the two best painters in the area, was also a USAA preferred shop. That meant they had to play the USAA game and go with cheaper aftermarket panels instead of OEM. Big surprise - they didn't fit. Back they go and now we can order OEM panels. There were a few other snags that were intercepted by the project manager who knew it would be a rejection if I found any of my 3 requirements out of whack.

The very best part was giving up that god-awful rental car and nestling my pampered ass into my ruby-red, suede bucket seat where it belongs. I pushed the button and it snarled alive like it was mad as hell and ready to eat a Prius. The ride home through rush hour traffic was somewhat nerve wracking, though. Murphy's law states that in situations like this the odds of catastrophe rise exponentially and Austin, Texas certainly has it's fair share of unqualified drivers - everything from teenagers living out their NASCAR fantasies to illegals whom refuse to go anywhere near the speed limit through fear of being stopped. Yep, I was as nervous as an 8 year old boy in a Catholic church, but I finally made it to the safety of my garage. And don't you know I am keeping my eyes peeled at all times for deer....

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,094 Posts
The beast has made a triumphant return!

After 5 agonizing weeks of suckage I finally got my baby back. Why so long for relatively minor damage? There are 2 reasons. First, I let the shop know up front what my expectations were: matching paint, even gaps on all of the body panels and no swirl marks from the buffer. Second, my chosen shop, with the two best painters in the area, was also a USAA preferred shop. That meant they had to play the USAA game and go with cheaper aftermarket panels instead of OEM. Big surprise - they didn't fit. Back they go and now we can order OEM panels. There were a few other snags that were intercepted by the project manager who knew it would be a rejection if I found any of my 3 requirements out of whack.

The very best part was giving up that god-awful rental car and nestling my pampered ass into my ruby-red, suede bucket seat where it belongs. I pushed the button and it snarled alive like it was mad as hell and ready to eat a Prius. The ride home through rush hour traffic was somewhat nerve wracking, though. Murphy's law states that in situations like this the odds of catastrophe rise exponentially and Austin, Texas certainly has it's fair share of unqualified drivers - everything from teenagers living out their NASCAR fantasies to illegals whom refuse to go anywhere near the speed limit through fear of being stopped. Yep, I was as nervous as an 8 year old boy in a Catholic church, but I finally made it to the safety of my garage. And don't you know I am keeping my eyes peeled at all times for deer....
thankfully all went well. Your post points out the fallacy of insurance companies going for knock off parts and often the quality if poor.

Glad to hear it came out well.

Good part is mating season for deer is over with. Sept - Oct is pretty bad for deer being all over the place - I've seen a couple in a steady run bolting across a field and the road w/o even stopping.

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
I'm also glad Deer season is about over. Those little guys go crazy and if your like me living 10 miles from the closest town in the middle of the woods a good eye is priceless. I see them everyday in my pasture and on the roads. This year I counted 36 in my pasture like they were having a keg party. LOL I don't feed them but they like my place for some reason.
Glad you got your car fixed with OEM parts the insurance company's now days will put junk yard parts on you car if they can.
You car looks awsome again!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thankfully all went well. Your post points out the fallacy of insurance companies going for knock off parts and often the quality if poor.

Glad to hear it came out well.

Good part is mating season for deer is over with. Sept - Oct is pretty bad for deer being all over the place - I've seen a couple in a steady run bolting across a field and the road w/o even stopping.
My insurance company would have saved several hundred dollars on the $30/day rental if they would have allowed the shop to fix it right in the first place. As far as the deer, I remember the comedian Ron White talking about how difficult hunting them is. "All you have to do is slow the bullet down to 55mph and put a set of high beams on it and they'll jump right in front of it." :lol:

·
Registered
733 Posts
Challenger Owner's 2, Bambi 0!!

I am so glad to have mine back better than new also!

Happy New Year!!

Reactions: Fat Max
1 - 17 of 17 Posts