Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Friends,

I installed my Barton shifter on the car in my sig, today, and I just thought I would snap some pics of the differences from the install video that I experienced. There are plenty of install and review threads, so I'll just cut to the chase.

I do want to say, though, that this shifter is phenomenal. I can't get over how much better than stock that it is. I do not notice much, if any, increase in noise.

Anyway, here's things that I encountered that were different;

1) The stock shift has a boot. I didn't see this in the video, and it was no trouble to deal with.

2) My rubber mat goes way back under the dash. I gave it a tug, but it's anchored in there by that yellow electrical junction, and I couldn't feel the end of it under the dash. So, it was in the way, but I just propped it up on my knee to work under it.

3) My stock shifter handle had this extra tab welded on it, that wouldn't fit over the Barton handle mount.

However, I was able to bend that tab just enough to fit over the mount, and the bolts Barton provided were long enough.

I apologize if these nuances are known or were posted before, I didn't read all of the install threads. I hope they help!

The most difficult part for me was getting the rear air duct back in. That yellow electrical junction shown above has wiring going out the back that drops down into the path of the duct, when you pull it out. Getting the wires to stay out of the way was a big pain the a$$, but after several expletives, it went in. :)

Enjoy your shifters!

Justin

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
That rubber mat was a PITA. It was BY FAR the worst part of the install. I took mine all the way out on my 2014 during my install. I couldn't remember the lay of the wire harness your referring to, so I ran it under the rubber mat.

It made getting the air duct easier to get back in. There was also some type of unused electrical connector that I had to tuck out of the way on the right side of the air duct.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I ran into the exact same things as both of you guys. Mine is a 2013 R/T. Everything went well during the install though. Can't wait to drive it once the snow goes away...

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That rubber mat was a PITA. It was BY FAR the worst part of the install. I took mine all the way out on my 2014 during my install. I couldn't remember the lay of the wire harness your referring to, so I ran it under the rubber mat.

It made getting the air duct easier to get back in. There was also some type of unused electrical connector that I had to tuck out of the way on the right side of the air duct.
Yep I remember that connector via the scrape on the back of my hand. :)

Justin

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Good tip, I'll remember that if I have to go back in there for anything.

Justin

·
Registered
2,192 Posts
I unplugged the yellow connectors to get the rubber boot out. This is when I rerouted one of the connectors under the rubber mat. That cleared it out of the way of the A/C duct.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Thanks, I have a 13 R/T with the same stick as you and I was just about to post a pic of the shifter and ask the question about the extra tab. I also just held the rubber mat up out of the way.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I too just made a clean tear of the rubber mat. Went back in and hid well with no problems. Re-installing the air duct - well that was just a plain 'ol PITA!

OP - just curious - any particular reason you stuck with the stock pistol grip shifter and didn't go with the Barton flat stick w/ ball?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Kind of like the stock stick. Sure I will try the Flat stick in the future. Does anyone remember if the air duct went above or below the harness in the dash.

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
Kind of like the stock stick. Sure I will try the Flat stick in the future. Does anyone remember if the air duct went above or below the harness in the dash.
Below the harness on mine. Out of the job that air duct was the biggest pain in the A**. Once I thought I had it installed I reached up an felt a gap between the two ducts.
Pulling off the radio face plate I was able to pull up on the harness, as I attached the duct, that finally worked.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I too just made a clean tear of the rubber mat. Went back in and hid well with no problems. Re-installing the air duct - well that was just a plain 'ol PITA!

OP - just curious - any particular reason you stuck with the stock pistol grip shifter and didn't go with the Barton flat stick w/ ball?

I "thought" that I liked the stock grip..., I tried it for about a month and I then I got the flat stick. I posted about it somewhere along the line, but the flat stick is head and shoulders above the stock grip.

As someone that has run with both, just get the flat stick, trust me!

ETA, found the thread. http://www.challengertalk.com/forums/f175/barton-shifter-stock-handle-vs-flat-stick-196074/

Justin

·
Registered
2,463 Posts
Hello Friends,

I installed my Barton shifter on the car in my sig, today, and I just thought I would snap some pics of the differences from the install video that I experienced. There are plenty of install and review threads, so I'll just cut to the chase.

I do want to say, though, that this shifter is phenomenal. I can't get over how much better than stock that it is. I do not notice much, if any, increase in noise.

Anyway, here's things that I encountered that were different;

1) The stock shift has a boot. I didn't see this in the video, and it was no trouble to deal with.

2) My rubber mat goes way back under the dash. I gave it a tug, but it's anchored in there by that yellow electrical junction, and I couldn't feel the end of it under the dash. So, it was in the way, but I just propped it up on my knee to work under it.

3) My stock shifter handle had this extra tab welded on it, that wouldn't fit over the Barton handle mount.

However, I was able to bend that tab just enough to fit over the mount, and the bolts Barton provided were long enough.

I apologize if these nuances are known or were posted before, I didn't read all of the install threads. I hope they help!

The most difficult part for me was getting the rear air duct back in. That yellow electrical junction shown above has wiring going out the back that drops down into the path of the duct, when you pull it out. Getting the wires to stay out of the way was a big pain the a$$, but after several expletives, it went in. :)

Enjoy your shifters!

Justin
Good write up, the tab on the shifter is a new thing must have been added by Chrysler to address the shift rods breaking off at the bolts (weak point), good to see they are addressing another problem that has cropped up thru the MYs!!! :D

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
People need to consider that using the original shifter handle creates a weak link when used with this shifter. JMO !
I do not mean weak to the point of a defficiency, just not as strong / suited as the flatstick that was designed and meant to be used with this shifter. Again JMO :) !

·
Registered
232 Posts
I just installed mine recently and the shifting is great. I have a question, is anyone experiencing a slight noise in first and second gear while driving normally?

·
Registered
276 Posts
I just installed mine recently and the shifting is great. I have a question, is anyone experiencing a slight noise in first and second gear while driving normally?
Yep. But not too bad. I can live with it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 16 of 16 Posts