Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Barton 6-Speed Shifter on its Way to Me!

After an awful experience with the Chinese made, piece-of-crap Hurst, I just ordered what I know will prove to be an entirely superior Barton shifter. They are being made in a limited batch right now, so get over to Barton Industries - Home - Cincinnatus, NY and order quick!

Cheers,

Rob

Reactions: Yellow Jacket 2012

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Post pictures of it going in and a review.

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
You made a smart choice. You will be very happy. :icon_cheers:

Reactions: RobF

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
You made a smart choice. You will be very happy. :icon_cheers:
Thanks, Omaha. It was your testimonial in that Barton thread that made me jump on it! You aptly described Dave's enthusiasm and commitment. He was retuning emails to me regarding questions I had from his cell phone last SUNDAY.

FYI, Dave told me that they have addressed some of the issues that led to your installation difficulty. Thanks so much for giving him input on it, as it will greatly benefit me and a host of others who bought version 2. You rule, brother.

Cheers,

Rob

Reactions: OmahaRumble

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
220 Posts
I am assuming you will get the latest edition of the bushing that Dave created to battle the noise but even so, if it was me, I would go buy a few strips of sound deadening material (dynamat or whatever) and put it around your metal cover where it meets the underside of the car (like your own soundproof gasket) and slap a piece on top of the aluminum piece of the bushing that comes in contact with the underside of your car and another under the bolt that attaches it and I can GUARANTEE that it will be completely silent and you will LOVE IT!!! (Mine was extremely loud because I overtighted the metal plate and crushed the little felt gasket that Dodge has...you willsee when you take yours out...now mine is completely silent even with the old bushing) Granted, Daves new bushing will prolly be enough to eliminate the noise, but if it isnt, ripping the console out is a beyatch, so I would do everything I could to ensure its perfect right from jump. (I had a spare chunk of dynomat here and was going to use it on my initial install and kicked myself in the ass and had to rip it all out and do it a 2nd time cuz I was STOOOOPID) :D It also will help to eliminate any other noise that is coming in from the underside also....

It is a KICKASS shifter though..without a doubt!!!

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, Rider.

Dave told me that I would be getting the absolute latest version. Will take your advice on sound deadening.

Cheers,

Rob

I am assuming you will get the latest edition of the bushing that Dave created to battle the noise but even so, if it was me, I would go buy a few strips of sound deadening material (dynamat or whatever) and put it around your metal cover where it meets the underside of the car (like your own soundproof gasket) and slap a piece on top of the aluminum piece of the bushing that comes in contact with the underside of your car and another under the bolt that attaches it and I can GUARANTEE that it will be completely silent and you will LOVE IT!!! (Mine was extremely loud because I overtighted the metal plate and crushed the little felt gasket that Dodge has...you willsee when you take yours out...now mine is completely silent even with the old bushing) Granted, Daves new bushing will prolly be enough to eliminate the noise, but if it isnt, ripping the console out is a beyatch, so I would do everything I could to ensure its perfect right from jump. (I had a spare chunk of dynomat here and was going to use it on my initial install and kicked myself in the ass and had to rip it all out and do it a 2nd time cuz I was STOOOOPID) :D It also will help to eliminate any other noise that is coming in from the underside also....

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
I overtighted the metal plate and crushed the little felt gasket that Dodge has...

Dang I didn't even have any gasket underneath there. I might have to keep one rubber washer down there so just there is no metal on metal. Even with the new bushing I don't want that cover to transmit any noise.

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So you guys are recommending placing a rubber washer around the rear mounting bolt just like people do on the Hursts? What about placing another one OVER the metal cover isolating the cover from the mounting nut?

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
So you guys are recommending placing a rubber washer around the rear mounting bolt just like people do on the Hursts? What about placing another one OVER the metal cover isolating the cover from the mounting nut?
The rear block which is attached to the whole shifter is where that whole thing becomes a tuning fork. I would it better to place the rubber washer between the rear block and the tunnel cover. I guess it wouldn't hurt to put one over the knut and the top of the cover though. I'd just experiment with different things (while the center console is already open) and see what works best for you. The less metal to metal contact the better. ;)

·
Registered
1,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The rear block which is attached to the whole shifter is where that whole thing becomes a tuning fork. I would it better to place the rubber washer between the rear block and the tunnel cover. I guess it wouldn't hurt to put one over the knut and the top of the cover though. I'd just experiment with different things (while the center console is already open) and see what works best for you. The less metal to metal contact the better. ;)
Thanks, boss. Looking to silence the Barton to stock noise levels, so this is really helpful. I should be receiving mine on Thursday according to UPS. Saturday is Spring Fest, so I won't have time to install the shifter before then. Will likely get to it the following weekend & will post pics here.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Mine is shipped and should be here Thursday! As far as how to get the 1) molding out from center console? 2)the top of the boot off and such? any easy ways to get some knowledge on this? Thanks for all the hints and idea's!!

·
Premium Member
4,634 Posts
Mine is shipped and should be here Thursday! As far as how to get the 1) molding out from center console? 2)the top of the boot off and such? any easy ways to get some knowledge on this? Thanks for all the hints and idea's!!
There are a few videos on Youtune of people installing the Hurst in their Challengers, it's the same basic idea. I would watch some videos so you get an idea of what to do when you get it all opened up. It's not really hard, just have to take your time and keep handy a magnetic wand.

By molding on the center console, I'm assuming you mean the tunnels silencer. All you need to do is left it up and hold up so you can work underneath it. Mine was so flimsy and fragile that it broke off, so I just chucked it for good.

·
Registered
481 Posts
There are a few videos on Youtune of people installing the Hurst in their Challengers, it's the same basic idea. I would watch some videos so you get an idea of what to do when you get it all opened up. It's not really hard, just have to take your time and keep handy a magnetic wand.

By molding on the center console, I'm assuming you mean the tunnels silencer. All you need to do is left it up and hold up so you can work underneath it. Mine was so flimsy and fragile that it broke off, so I just chucked it for good.

The boot bezel and such. No need to remove the entire console? Just go in through the boot hole?

·
Premium Member
2,009 Posts

1 - 20 of 68 Posts