Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know there are plenty of posts on this forum and others in reference to the Barton shifter, so to a vast majority of you reading this, it is not new information. I wanted to take a few minutes to let all of you know my personal experience from this past weekend!

I attend the Carlisle All Chrysler nationals in Carlisle, PA every year with my '72 Challenger. Last year, I stopped by the Barton tent on Saturday to check out the shifter and I was blown away at the comparison between the stock shifter and the Barton. Like many of you already know, there is really no comparison, especially when you can see them side by side. Unfortunately, last year, I did not have my '15 challenger at the show, so I decided I would wait until this year and bring both cars for the weekend, and also get the shifter installed.

I reached out to the guys at Barton a few weeks ago to make sure that they would have the color combination available that I was looking for, and to setup an install at the show. Joe from Barton got back to me very quickly and asked if I would be willing to use my car in their booth for the weekend, and if so, they would give me a considerable discount on the shifter. Joe's plan was to have people that were seriously considering buying the shifter sit in my car, and row through the gears to try it out for themselves. At first I was a little uneasy about this, as I'm very particular about my car, but Joe assured me that any potential issues would be taken care of by Barton, so I agreed to allow them to use the car both Friday and Saturday at the show.

I met with Joe and his grandfather on Friday at Carlisle. Lets just say that not only is the product great, the team at Barton is simply incredible. For any of you that do not know, Joe is the guy that does all of the installs (the videos as well), so not only is he very knowledgeable, but truly a great guy. He didn't mind that I sat in the passenger seat and watched very closely while he installed the shifter. Joe was very careful during the install not to damage or scratch or scuff anything such as the console, seats, etc, which was very much appreciated.

The only downside was that now that the shifter was installed, it was only 11 AM and I had to wait all day to try it out as I had to leave the car at the booth until the end of the show on Friday, and then return again Saturday, trust me it was well worth the wait! As others before me have described, the difference is truly night and day. Having driven a few of these cars, all with factory shifters, you really don't notice the slop or play that is there from the factory until you drive one that has the Barton shifter installed. HOLY COW! The car shifts much more quickly and smoothly, and the shift pattern itself feels much tighter, I am incredibly happy with this product.

I dropped the car off at the booth Saturday, and during the show, I stopped by only a handful of times to check on it and see how things were going. These guys are passionate about their product, know it backwards and forwards, and definitely stand behind it. I can't honestly think of another vendor who has been so awesome to work with like these guys.

They did not ask me to write this review, and normally, I'm not someone who reviews much if anything online, but after the way they treated me and my wife over the weekend, I felt obligated to give them a shout out and let everyone here know how great not only their shifter is, but how great my experience with them was as well.

Please do yourself a favor and check them out if you haven't already!!!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I only took one pic of the shifter installed in the car, and it was in my garage the other night, so I apologize for the poor lighting. Anyways, the car is a 2015 RT Plus, B5 Blue, Black Pearl Interior. The shifter is a black barton flat stick with b5 (Barton) and black ball with B5 shift pattern.

Pics attached

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
I can't speak highly enough of the Barton team. As the OP states, Joe is a pro, and a really nice guy.

Dave, who was also manning the booth (and I believe may be high up in the company) was extremely helpful also. He easily could have sold me $200 worth of stuff, but instead patiently listened to my issue and gave me some great advice to try before spending any money.

This company is A++ in my book.

SIDE NOTE - for those of us who bought this shifter more than say 6 months ago, please note they now have a new Yoke you can buy that allows the actual shifter handle to be positioned forward or backward of center; the older shifters only allowed angling to the left or right of center. Definitely something to consider, (and yes, it's on my shopping list.

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'd like to add to this thread by saying a Hugh THANK YOU to KoryMiller340. I was one of the folks who got to sit in your car and test out the Barton shifter. I already had my mind made up that I was going to buy the shifter as I have upgraded to a Hurst, but want the Barton for drag racing. Kory your car is amazing, and I can say that I was extremely careful when I got in it. In fact I was a little hesitant but Dave, who is a great Rep assured me it was ok. The product is clearly head and shoulders above any other shifter I've used. The show at Carlisle was my first time at Chryslers at Carlisle, but certainly won't be my last. All of the cars there were amazing, but the service of the Barton team, and the craftsmanship of the Shifter stole the show for me. Thanks again Kory for posting up this review, I second everything you've already said.

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I'm looking into ordering a new Challenger and it will be a manual so the Barton is something that interests me. I just don't feel comfortable doing the install and I'm not sure I want to pay my dealership to do it either.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The install is very straight forward. If you watch the video on the Barton page, you should be able to follow along and complete this install within an hour or 2. I've had my center console apart 3 to four times now, so this install should go fairly smooth. I'm adding a shifter nob activated line lock as well during this process, so for me it may take a couple of hours but still a very easy install. Certainly worth the effort.

·
Vendor
244 Posts
KoryMiller340,

Thank you so much for the right up! I just had seen this. We really appreciate your support, and your willingness to allow us to use your vehicle. We know its not easy to allow strangers in your vehicle.

Thank you again!

Joe

·
Premium Member
561 Posts
I'm looking into ordering a new Challenger and it will be a manual so the Barton is something that interests me. I just don't feel comfortable doing the install and I'm not sure I want to pay my dealership to do it either.
This really is an easy install, the video shows you step by step. Put a piece of cardboard under the car to catch anything you might drop so you can just pull that out and pick up the part and try again. It's tight quarters especially the passenger side front attach pin. :) I pulled my car up on my ramps and did the shifter, clutch delay valve delete and skip shift eliminator all in about 2hrs.

Paul

·
Registered
938 Posts
I have to agree. Customer service always good at Barton. I've dot with them a few times. Always returned my emails promptly. Even had them call me ( I think Joe?) when I ordered my Pistol Grip when they first came out to make sure we were getting exactly what I needed. Pleasure to do business with.

·
Registered
2015 Scat Pack
2,230 Posts
KoryMiller340,

Thank you so much for the right up! I just had seen this. We really appreciate your support, and your willingness to allow us to use your vehicle. We know its not easy to allow strangers in your vehicle.

Thank you again!

Joe
It is a good write-up; very representative of every interaction I've had with Joe and Dave of Barton. I've had some issues shifting while racing, and Dave has been incredible in working with me; explaining in great detail how the Barton shifter was designed to work and what I need to do to let it work as designed.

I can say, without a doubt or hesitation, that Barton Industries represents the "best of the best" in customer service; they're in business to make money, but as they've demonstrated to me, they're making money the RIGHT WAY.

Joe, if you or Dave ever need a testimonial from a customer, you can count on me! (as it is, I talk you guys up at every opportunity - and your products as well).

·
Registered
148 Posts
MuscleCarProf,

I just installed mine and it is pretty straight forward. If you have any mechanical experience it shouldn't be a problem. Check out this video:

I've attached a photo of the install. Just a basic black lever and knob, but oh what a difference! Took it out for a test drive and am glad I upgraded.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,808 Posts
I'll also echo how good the product is and how awesome Joe and Dave are. A few years ago at Spring Fest my car club Golden State Mopars cleaned out the supply of shifters they had. I thing we even purchsed the demo unit they had. Now what was really cool that later that night we had a parking lot meet at one of the hotels and Dave came out to do installs and some swaps for people that wanted different colors. You don't find that kind of customer experience very often. Great product and great people. If you dont have a Barton shifter you are missing out on one of the best mods you can do

Attachments

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
MuscleCarProf,

I just installed mine and it is pretty straight forward. If you have any mechanical experience it shouldn't be a problem. Check out this video: Barton Shifter complete Install - Dodge Challenger Scat Pack - YouTube

I've attached a photo of the install. Just a basic black lever and knob, but oh what a difference! Took it out for a test drive and am glad I upgraded.
The funny thing is that I'm more concerned about damaging the trim and console that screwing up the install of the actual shifter. From what I've read on this forum, I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed with the performance.

·
Registered
Boosted Stroked 2014 Shaker M6
2,477 Posts
I can't speak highly enough of the Barton team. As the OP states, Joe is a pro, and a really nice guy.

This company is A++ in my book.

SIDE NOTE - for those of us who bought this shifter more than say 6 months ago, please note they now have a new Yoke you can buy that allows the actual shifter handle to be positioned forward or backward of center; the older shifters only allowed angling to the left or right of center. Definitely something to consider, (and yes, it's on my shopping list.
All of this is great stuff to know about, and thanks for giving Barton great kudos! I installed my Barton myself, and have had no need for customer service, so I wouldn't have known this without the heads up .

I don't think I'll be getting that yoke, as I installed my shifter as far to the left as possible, and it's perfect for me that way. I didn't bother taking any photos of mine, because it's the OEM version as I wanted to keep my stock pistol grip. My Barton is completely hidden.

For anyone worried about scratching trim, use plastic pry tools. They're very inexpensive.

·
Registered
352 Posts
The Barton people are great and were so easy to work with when I bought from them. A lot of companies out there could learn from them!

·
Registered
148 Posts
The funny thing is that I'm more concerned about damaging the trim and console that screwing up the install of the actual shifter. From what I've read on this forum, I'm pretty sure I won't be disappointed with the performance.
To be honest I was too. Once I saw the video I mentioned my concerns went away. I actually partially removed the trim panel right away after seeing how easy it was. The only problem I ran into was a couple of the panel clips came loose and fell into the console. I got to live with a panel squeak for two weeks until I had time to install the shifter and retrieve the clips.:icon_rolleyes:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts