Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well did the install yesterday and then drove it for an hour or 2. Very different. I think I like it better but it is different so will take a bit to get use to it. It does seem like I can "feel" the transaction more, is this normal? I can also feel the vibration which I thought was supposed to go away. It doesn't bother me just a comment.

The big question I have is, the shifter arm gets pretty warm. Its not going to burn anyone, but it gets pretty warm. I assume this is because the exhaust is right under it. I never felt any warmth from the OEM Shifter, is this normal?
Gear shift Vehicle Car Auto part Family car
Auto part Vehicle Car

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,755 Posts
I have the OEM shifter version and on mine I don't recall having any extra vibs (or noises for that matter) or heat after the install? I wonder if on the flat shifter version if all that extra mass to connect to the shifter retains more thermal energy?

As for vibs my the stock version seemed to shake (the rear bushing really sucks) more than the barton. But I can see that more vibs might be felt as the barton bushing in the rear has more contact area.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the OEM shifter version and on mine I don't recall having any extra vibs (or noises for that matter) or heat after the install? I wonder if on the flat shifter version if all that extra mass to connect to the shifter retains more thermal energy?
View attachment 1001574

As for vibs my the stock version seemed to shake (the rear bushing really sucks) more than the barton. But I can see that more vibs might be felt as the barton bushing in the rear has more contact area.
View attachment 1001575
Yea, I think the stock shifter Barton and the short throw are the same except how only one plate is used to hold the oem, and the fork of the short throw straddles the block and is held on with 2 plates.

The heat is more my concern, I think everything else is just the newness.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yea, I think the stock shifter Barton and the short throw are the same except how only one plate is used to hold the oem, and the fork of the short throw straddles the block and is held on with 2 plates.

The heat is more my concern, I think everything else is just the newness.
the Barton shifter is a big hunk of aluminum, which is a good conductor of heat energy - the heat is normal. I’ve got the pistol grip shifter and in the summertime it gets downright HOT to the touch if the car sits in the sun for a while! In the winter it can be pretty frigid.

Reactions: Designflaw

·
Registered
2013 Dodge Challenger SRT8 392 6Speed
36 Posts
That’s why the stock shifter comes with leather I guess 😁 barely notice the heat.
Installed a Short throw Mopar stock recently and got crazy hot after a few hours of parking in the sun.

Reactions: mschoo92

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,755 Posts
I run a Lou's short shifter (aluminum shaft), headers and a speeddawg shifter ball (it's pretty much hollow plastic) and I don't notice any heat at the shifter. The shaft might be warm but I always thought it is from baking in the sun?

·
Registered
36 Posts
I run a Lou's short shifter (aluminum shaft), headers and a speeddawg shifter ball (it's pretty much hollow plastic) and I don't notice any heat at the shifter. The shaft might be warm but I always thought it is from baking in the sun?
My understanding is, anything solid that can conduct heat will transfer or absorb heat. It’s all bolted solid so makes sense that it could transfer heat from the transmission too.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Mine definitely gets warm after driving a little, totally normal.

You can also hear some extra noises too but I think that's the price you pay a bit for performance here

·
Registered
36 Posts
Mine definitely gets warm after driving a little, totally normal.

You can also hear some extra noises too but I think that's the price you pay a bit for performance here
with a CAI and mopar exhaust on my 392 it’s barely known for the quietness 😂 I ordered my Barton last week. Now have to wait 3-4 weeks until I get them. 🔥

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
9,755 Posts
Could be that I don't drive the challenger long enough to notice any heat as most of my driving is city so trans probably does not get hot enough. Although I do romp on it quite a bit, hard not to with the supercharger. Still, have not noticed any difference between stock and barton..except for the satisfyingly tight shifting. Others also mention increased trans noise but did not notice that either.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts