Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all...

Just a curious question... anyone ever remove 1 or both of the centering springs on the shifter yet... the shifter as is, is great... everyone so often I get caught with 5th to 4th ... I know it's me being lost in the moment, not thinking about it... seen a youtube video on it, just wanted to hear experiences...

:rocker:

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just removed both springs in mine. Well worth the 2 hours it took to R&R the unit (including the mod to the shifter) Pretty simple process. I didn't remove the lower boot, just worked around it. The shifter now has a crisp but manageable feel to it. The throws didn't change but the spring tension that created a wrestling match between me and the shifter is now perfect. To me, it feels like a high quality stock setup would feel.
I also put the Burl wood Mr. Norms classic shift handle in with it which adds a nice old school look to the set up. One note, when you use a Mr. Norms shifter with a Barton you will need to grind off about 1/4" of the front portion of the handle where it couples with the Barton. There is a bit of interference there, but not bad. Just takes 5-10 minutes of grinding and fitting. Doesn't compromise the shift handle strength.
Overall....was it worth it?? Na.... ~$700 is WAY too much to spend on a shifter setup. But what the heck. I'm 60 and plan to be buried in the car....I like to fiddle and it was fun.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Ide like to know more why you are removing the centering springs? This is a huge advantage of a short shifter. I wrestled with mine for a while but they loosen up a little over some mileage

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don't race my car. But it's a 2010 Challenger that had a very sloppy shifter. The Barton was the obvious choice to get in to a better shifting platform. Barton is probably the best if not one of the best out there.
Having said that, everyone has a "feel" they like...I just wanted less resistance to the 1-2 and 5-6 gates. It's much more comfortable for me to use now and I still get the advantage of a short crisp shift. This also basically eliminated the heavy "thud" it made as it shifted.
Like I said, I like to fiddle around with cars, so this project was not intended to make my 1/4 mile times better or reduce a 2-3 missed shift issue. I used to do all that stuff, but now I just like to enjoy the car for the nostalgia and fun it offers.
I understand why most Barton owners would be wondering about why anyone would do this. I just wrote this up to help anyone who might be in my boat.
When I was researching the Barton, I would have appreciated knowing there was someone who was doing it for these reasons.
Again....was it worth it.....na....but it was fun and I have a unique shifter that enhances the experience of re-living "the good ole days"..

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
499 Posts
I just removed both springs in mine. Well worth the 2 hours it took to R&R the unit (including the mod to the shifter) Pretty simple process. I didn't remove the lower boot, just worked around it. The shifter now has a crisp but manageable feel to it. The throws didn't change but the spring tension that created a wrestling match between me and the shifter is now perfect. To me, it feels like a high quality stock setup would feel.
I also put the Burl wood Mr. Norms classic shift handle in with it which adds a nice old school look to the set up. One note, when you use a Mr. Norms shifter with a Barton you will need to grind off about 1/4" of the front portion of the handle where it couples with the Barton. There is a bit of interference there, but not bad. Just takes 5-10 minutes of grinding and fitting. Doesn't compromise the shift handle strength.
Overall....was it worth it?? Na.... ~$700 is WAY too much to spend on a shifter setup. But what the heck. I'm 60 and plan to be buried in the car....I like to fiddle and it was fun.

I considered doing the same thing but ended up leaving it the way Barton shipped it out of sheer laziness. Unfortunately, I have to use my Challenger as a daily driver and the Barton sometimes feels a little too engineered for stop-and-go traffic.

As time has gone by (installed in July 2018) the springs have loosened up some. However, I'm still thinking about a slight modification. Perhaps removing one spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts