Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I posted in the "What did you do to your Challenger Today" thread that I finished installing the Barton Shifter. Now, I'm NOT complaining here, all I am doing is asking a few questions.

Knowing how much beefier this new shifter is (the old shifter looks like a sick chicken in comparison. Check the pic below) I've noticed while driving around toady that even though the shifts are shorter, and with less play, but I've noticed that it takes a lot more "muscle" to pass through the gears. Is this something you all noticed and is it just a matter of getting used to?

Also, I turned my radio off on a trip back home today, and maybe it's because I'm more aware because I just ripped the thing out yesterday, but do any of you notice a bit more noise coming from under the shifter. Seems like I can hear the driveshaft, which is directly below the shifter, or whatever the noise is, coming from below. Anyone else noticed this, or am I just being hyper-sensitive here?

As always, your comments are appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,853 Posts
Yesterday I posted in the "What did you do to your Challenger Today" thread that I finished installing the Barton Shifter. Now, I'm NOT complaining here, all I am doing is asking a few questions.

Knowing how much beefier this new shifter is (the old shifter looks like a sick chicken in comparison. Check the pic below) I've noticed while driving around toady that even though the shifts are shorter, and with less play, but I've noticed that it takes a lot more "muscle" to pass through the gears. Is this something you all noticed and is it just a matter of getting used to?

Also, I turned my radio off on a trip back home today, and maybe it's because I'm more aware because I just ripped the thing out yesterday, but do any of you notice a bit more noise coming from under the shifter. Seems like I can hear the driveshaft, which is directly below the shifter, or whatever the noise is, coming from below. Anyone else noticed this, or am I just being hyper-sensitive here?

As always, your comments are appreciated.
I just finished installing mine a couple of hours ago. Yes it takes slightly more effort to shift, although I kept the OEM shifter so I get more leverage. I was going to get the shorter shifter but I hate when my forearm rubs my beverage in the cup holder when I shift. I for one am very happy as the shifts seem more precise and secure. Shifting into 1 and 2 seems to be the hardest, but 3 and 4 are like butter. I don't notice any drive train noise. The seal was tough to get on but I made sure it was seated properly. The only noise I hear when I roll the windows up is the whine from the diff which has been there since I bought the car and the occasional whine from the maggie (although I have corsa extreme with the mufflers deleted so it pretty much drowns out any whine).

·
Premium Member
9,678 Posts
Part of it is getting used to the difference between shifters and the other is to adjust the shifters position until you like it.

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Part of it is getting used to the difference between shifters and the other is to adjust the shifters position until you like it.
Yeah, I thought I'd like the adjustment to be real close to me so I adjusted all the way down and to the left. Think I might have to adjust "Up" and a bit more to the center. Second gear is a bit too cramped.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,057 Posts
You will hear noise from the transmission. However, from what I'm told it is a lot less than those of us with the (insert word here) Hurst shifter. Not to mention all the slop in the shifter.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reactions: JimiMack

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
20,740 Posts
I think it's normal from all I've read. The increased rigidity, and the no nonsense bushings used. The OEM shifter is designed to be a quiet as possible, another reason the Barton is such a dramatic difference apparently. A Guy

Reactions: JimiMack

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I've swapped my Barton from my SRT8 to my Scat Pack to my Hellcat. I found that 4 to 5 shift took too much effort. I preformed the Barton shifter mod that is posted on the Hellcat forum. Easy mod while the shifter is out and clears up the issue I was having. Hellcat.org posted by Bull.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
All your observations are the same things I noticed to. You will get used to the extra effort to get in the gears. This is just because of the closer tolerances of the shifter and what makes it great. I also hear a little more noise than before but you tune that out too after a bit, nothing to worry about.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
16,216 Posts
The different ratio (for shorter shift throw) will increase the effort.

The OEM unit was designed around lower shift effort.

This was the case with the Hurst that I put in the '09 that I had.

And there was more driveline noise transmitted, due to the stiffer bushings utilized in aftermarket units.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,718 Posts
You will hear noise from the transmission. However, from what I'm told it is a lot less than those of us with the (insert word here) Hurst shifter. Not to mention all the slop in the shifter.

I don't hear any more noise from OEM version with my stock pistol grip. The shifts are now real tight with no slop whatsoever, and the extra effort required to shift is minimal in first and second gear only. I also mounted mine to the left, so I don't have an issue with drinks in the cup holder any more.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I noticed when i had my Barton adjusted all the way over to the left, it would flex the console. I readjusted just enough not to repeat it. I had the same shifter in my 2011 gt500, same trans and they shift the same. just takes a bit to get used to it..

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks folks. This kinda puts my mind at ease. Was out today and after a while around town, I didn't even pay attention and I am getting used to it. I did however grind 2nd gear once and because if the new positioning, and since we use "Feel" a lot on the shift knob with a manual, thought I was in neutral and was actually in 3rd. LOL! I'm not a real confident guy when it comes to doing my own work, so that little extra noise had me worried about my install. I even ripped up the console and boot again and everything was tight and looked good. Your comments have eased my mind! As usual.

·
Registered
2013 SRT8
1,057 Posts
I don't hear any more noise from OEM version with my stock pistol grip. The shifts are now real tight with no slop whatsoever, and the extra effort required to shift is minimal in first and second gear only. I also mounted mine to the left, so I don't have an issue with drinks in the cup holder any more.

Your lucky then. I am using the OEM handle with the hurst and it is noisy. Which doesn't really bother me. I kind of like hearing the inner workings. However, there is a lot of play in the handle. Which is one reason Larry's mod exists. I believe it's Larry. I haven't gotten the mod because it's a $100 some bucks. Which I'd rather put toward the Barton when I get around to it.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
8,853 Posts
So yesterday I was driving around, getting accustomed to the new shift action. I stopped at a friends house who has a supercharged BMW. We swap cars to see how each other's car drives (drove his car when it was NA no problem). Now hard left and up is the BMW reverse which I already knew, but I got use to the harder 1st gear on the barton that just about every time I had to go into first on the BMW....it was reverse. So yeah I would say again, the barton requires more effort to shift 1 & 2nd but I love it and so does my buddy who was extremely impressed with the tight shifting (and burnouts on command).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts