Dodge Challenger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking to buy the shifter today, and i see there are 3 options: OEM, flat stick and pistol grip.
Would i be missing something if i go with the $400 option that accepts the OEM stick and shift knob ? or
did you go for the basic OEM option and used the OEM stick, then later had regrets and found the flat stick to be a better choice ?
Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I have the Barton with OEM since first day I owned the car. Never liked the look of the Barton stick. Love the OEM look with the slick shifting Barton underneath :thumbsup: And, I did a group buy and it cost around $370. BARGAIN.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,516 Posts
Yeah the OEM sits a little higher than stock preventing your arm from hitting coke cans that you may have placed in the cup holders. Also, I prefer the OEM leather ball.

Or you could go with Lou's Short Shifter and a shifter ball from speed dawg of your choice. FYI factor +15 is press fit ball and stick, barton takes an M12-1.25 and Lou's stick takes an M16-1.5

https://www.speeddawg.com/dodge-challenger-r-t-scat-pack-srt-and-hellcat-2015-and-newer-manual-shift-knob-adapter/

There is also a 2009-2010 short shifter from mopar that takes an 3/8-16
http://www.jegs.com/i/Mopar-Performance/312/P5155284AB/10002/-1?CAWELAID=1710679028&CAGPSPN=pla&CAAGID=44693592161&CATCI=pla-221204101511&CATARGETID=230006180039216870&cadevice=c&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI9M7W_qyS2AIVXLnACh3OIQGBEAYYASABEgJ9PfD_BwE

There is a mopar leather ball that works with the factory short shifter
http://www.jegs.com/p/Mopar-Performance/Mopar-Performance-Shifter-Knobs/2175273/10002/-1

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks a lot fellas.

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,516 Posts
OK, I have changed my mind about the factory leather shift knob. I went ahead and purchased a Lou's short shifter and Speed Dawg shift knob and the knob feels larger than the factory one...it only measures 3mm(~1/8") larger but it feels perfect. It might be all in my head but I will say it looks and feels money with the Barton OEM setup!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
OK, I have changed my mind about the factory leather shift knob. I went ahead and purchased a Lou's short shifter and Speed Dawg shift knob and the knob feels larger than the factory one...it only measures 3mm(~1/8") larger but it feels perfect. It might be all in my head but I will say it looks and feels money with the Barton OEM setup!!

Looks good...I'm enjoying my new handle and white/black with the bee on the sides...

·
Registered
2018 Challenger R/T 392 6 speed manual
83 Posts
Which shifter?

Just got into a 2018 scat with the 6M and want to go with the Barton. I hear good things about the Hurst though. Curious if anyone has experince with BOTH and can comment.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
Yes I’ve used both and unfortunately (given the historical significance of the Hurst name and our cars) there is no comparison between the two, Barton wins, period.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Did you get the dice before or after the shift knob. Lol. Looks great like the stripes on it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Thanks Justintime2. Definitely leaning towards the Barton. Any comments on the difference between the two would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
I had the hurst. Then I got the throw rod from Larry to replace the junk one that comes factory. That helped.
Then I went with the Barton. Much much better unit. Much better built. Much smoother. Much more adjustment and variety of handles you can get for it. Plus they answer the phone when you call with questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
185 Posts
Could not agree more with all those praising the Barton. Best upgrade I’ve done. Period.

Added a Speed Dawg knob I got for Christmas. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
269 Posts
You guys sold me. Ordered a speed dawg knob and adapter!

·
Registered
269 Posts
You guys sold me. All these pics convinced me to grab a speed dawg knob and adapter!

·
Registered
185 Posts

·
Registered
2015 RT 5.7 M6
7,516 Posts
Did you get the dice before or after the shift knob. Lol. Looks great like the stripes on it.
Thanks, yeah I bought the dice a week after buying the car which is white with red vinyl stripes. I bought it more as a gag

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/Fuzzy-Dice,2211.html

but I kid you not, that is the first thing people comment on. I absolutely love this new shifter lever/ball set-up...really makes me feel like a high school punk all over again!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sounds like the Barton is the way I’ll go but maybe with the stock ball to keep it looking factory.

·
Registered
83 Posts
One more question for those in the know. Any difference in the position of the shifter when using the Barton with the flat stick vs the factory knob, and any difference in the position of the barton vs. the stock shifter? basically, looking to know where it locates as it relates to the space in the boot inside the cab. Hard to tell from the pictures.

Also, does the flat stick sit higher than stock? And what about the barton with the stock knob? Basically trying to decide between the $400 option and the $474 and understand what to expect. Might call Barton as well...

1 - 20 of 46 Posts