Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I've been running my Barton Shifter with the stock handle for a little over a month now, about 1000 miles, but remembered Dave saying that the stock handle, while retro cool, doesn't allow for proper shifting technique/position.

Today I received my anodized black flat stick, and just took her out for a spin to see the difference, and I have to say that I couldn't agree with Dave more. I was never able to find a "comfortable" way to position or grip my stock handle, and the flat stick makes this shifter feel like another brand new shifter. The flat stick was obviously designed for this shifter, the stock handle is not. It's nice that Barton left that option open for people, but I'm telling you, you want the flat stick. It's hard to put into words, but I think that I actually shift better with the flat stick. It could be that positioning/technique Dave was talking about.

And it feels even firmer/shorter with the flat stick, compared to the stock handle. I attribute that to the beefy mounty for the flat stick, as compared to the apparently flexible mild steel shaft of the stock handle.

Anyway, I just wanted to give a first hand account of someone that used both handles, for anyone else wrestling with the decision of which to go with.

I highly recommend the flat stick.

Justin

Reactions: AwesomeBobX64

·
Registered
535 Posts
How much is the stick ?

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
By itself, 125 shipped. It's cheaper to get it up front.

Justin

·
Registered
535 Posts

·
Premium Member
565 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
None at all for me.

Justin

·
Registered
479 Posts
Stick is way better than stock.
+1. I initially installed the flat stick, then went back to the stock shifter. There is no comparison; the flat stick was back in within five minutes! Plus, it adds the "old school" look to the interior.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
The massively beefy connection of the Barton flat stick is way stronger and cannot flex/twist. Plus you get the added benefit of the adjustable left/right. It totally makes the shifter and is almost a crime to cover it with the leather boot.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Dumb question, but what is the difference between the flat stick and the OEM? Do you mean in terms of the the stick itself (not the knob)
vs. the OEM rounded rod?

·
Super Moderator
16,627 Posts
your images are comparing the M6 shifter vs. the A8 shifter - totally different things there.

Barton makes a shifter for both applications - the "flat stick" is the M6 shifter option
-the also make a version of the M6 mechanism that can accept the OEM ball handle if one wishes to have the shifter linkage and retain the OEM appearance / styling

·
Registered
87 Posts
Meant to compare the first picture with the manual shifter in the 2nd picture. Do you know if the leather OEM shifter knob is compatible with the barton shifter? I haven't seen those leather wrapped shifters after market..

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
2,948 Posts
I have the OEM Barton shifter together with my stock pistol grip. I'm just pleased as punch with this setup. :grin2:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts