Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Close to pulling the trigger on the Barton pistol grip shifter. Curious if anyone has feedback? Any pictures of color combos?

·
Super Moderator
2016 SXT Plus Blacktop
26,706 Posts

A Guy

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Great if not a daily driver. I did the spring modification on mine when I installed it on my 2017 Hellcat. It was in 3 different cars until I bought my Redeye. I also put the Barton auto shifter in my Redeye.
Red Carmine Vehicle door Walking shoe

·
Registered
2010 Challenger SRT 6spd detonator yellow
529 Posts

A Guy
I personally would install the Hurst it gives you that old school shift feel and many options of handles especially the pistol grip and it is a short throw also

·
Registered
2014 R/T Classic 6-speed
277 Posts
I can't comment on the handle because I left mine stock, but the shifter, while pricey, is definitely worth the cost. It takes about a week or so of driving to break it in to remove some of the stiffness, but then it is amazing. Very solid and precise, and the shorter throws are welcome. While it takes higher effort to shift than a stock mechanism, it quickly becomes natural.

And, one of the features that I really appreciated was being able to set the shifter handle lateral position in the neutral state. This means that you can move it side-to-side to suit you while you are doing the installation. I set mine in the extreme left position, and now my elbow isn't in the way of the console on the 1-2-3-4 shifts. 5 and 6 are still far right (about straight up now), but those are lazy shifts at turnpike speeds.

Get one.

Cheers!

JD

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
I had a Hurst in my first Challenger (was only upgrade option back then) - the Barton is a far better unit - and quiet.

If you opt for the "OEM" version you can use the factory shift lever or any aftermarket ones that are designed to fit the OEM shifter (Mr. Norms, etc)

I installed mine in 2019 once I had the opportunity to install one in a friends car and then road tested it - then I knew first hand how the Barton units were.

Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Registered
2012 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic
141 Posts
Close to pulling the trigger on the Barton pistol grip shifter. Curious if anyone has feedback? Any pictures of color combos?
I daily drive mine (with original OE pistol grip) and love it. I hear more transmission rattle when in neutral, but that’s the only negative (if you can call it that).
j

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have the Barton, but not with the pistol grip and I love it! Well worth the $$ for the precise shifting and shorter throw.

Agree with the previous post about taking a week or so of driving to get rid of some stiffness. Now it's perfect.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
Definitely worth it. Takes a little while to break in but once it does it feels great. Pistol grip shifter feels nice and has large chamfered edges, I use the handle more like a ball (push with palm, pull with fingertips) and it feels “right”.

·
Registered
2014 Shaker Boosted 392 Stroker M6
3,170 Posts
I can't comment on the handle because I left mine stock, but the shifter, while pricey, is definitely worth the cost. It takes about a week or so of driving to break it in to remove some of the stiffness, but then it is amazing. Very solid and precise, and the shorter throws are welcome. While it takes higher effort to shift than a stock mechanism, it quickly becomes natural.

And, one of the features that I really appreciated was being able to set the shifter handle lateral position in the neutral state. This means that you can move it side-to-side to suit you while you are doing the installation. I set mine in the extreme left position, and now my elbow isn't in the way of the console on the 1-2-3-4 shifts. 5 and 6 are still far right (about straight up now), but those are lazy shifts at turnpike speeds.

Get one.

Cheers!

JD
You did exactly the same thing I did! (y)(y)

Reactions: TXRT

·
Registered
8 Posts
All I've got to say is DO IT! I installed mine last Wednesday. WOW. There's zero comparison. The Hurst is the same price and you are paying for the name. They aren't near the quality. When I drove home my 2012 R/T, I quickly realized that my Mini Cooper shifted better and it's got way more miles on it. I ordered the Barton a day later. It's a little tight to start, especially getting into 1st gear, but as mentioned, it does soften up. Once your brain makes sense of the shift pattern, specifically the short throws, it's an absolute joy to shift. It springs into neutral from any gear effortlessly. You can speed shift without ever missing a gear. 2 - 3 is exceptionally fun. I'd never mod the springs. Springs get soft over time, but if grandma is driving it, you might do the mod. If you like your stock shift handle, you can order the barton with the adapter plate that allows you to use it. I have the Mr. Norms pistol grip which uses the stock handle configuration and is soooooo sweet!

·
Registered
2016 Challenger 5.7 6-speed
164 Posts
Almost 10k miles with mine. Bought the knob and flat stick with it. Won’t look back either. Convinced a mustang cobra owner to buy one too after he tried mine out.

Reactions: SpeedShift

·
Registered
8 Posts
All I've got to say is DO IT! I installed mine last Wednesday. WOW. There's zero comparison. The Hurst is the same price and you are paying for the name. They aren't near the quality. When I drove home my 2012 R/T, I quickly realized that my Mini Cooper shifted better and it's got way more miles on it. I ordered the Barton a day later. It's a little tight to start, especially getting into 1st gear, but as mentioned, it does soften up. Once your brain makes sense of the shift pattern, specifically the short throws, it's an absolute joy to shift. It springs into neutral from any gear effortlessly. You can speed shift without ever missing a gear. 2 - 3 is exceptionally fun. I'd never mod the springs. Springs get soft over time, but if grandma is driving it, you might do the mod. If you like your stock shift handle, you can order the barton with the adapter plate that allows you to use it. I have the Mr. Norms pistol grip which uses the stock handle configuration and is soooooo sweet!
View attachment 1022964
Update. I have 1k miles on the shifter now and even more crazy about it. Gears 1-4 are like butter. 5-6 took more time to work in since I use them much less but now the whole thing shifts so nice. I absolutely love this shifter. It reminds me of the old Hurst Supershifter III but even tighter. So fun to hammer on this thing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I bought my Barton last year, and I don't regret it for a second. I bought the flat stick and round knob from Barton with mine, but I love it. I daily my car in the summer and track it on the weekends and the improvement was huge for me.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts