Dodge Challenger Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2019 R/T ScatPack B5 Blue
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have my Barton short shifter installed for about 8k miles now and I’m wondering how much play develops after it’s settles in your experience ?

Occasionally when driving spiritedly and shifting into second, I feel like it’s hitting the side of the transmission cutout from the floor. I’m aware of the skip shift, but this is a different feeling.

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
the poly bushings will wear in over time - I noticed that the initial installation is was a "chunk - chunk" kind of feel with very tight / stiff bushings.

As its worn in, its smoother and there's always some play due to the single shift / select rod design for the Tremec.

I think the stiffness of brand new bushings distracts a bit from that, but there's way less than what the stock shifter would be with the deflection in the softer OEM rubber bushings.

Reactions: RIPNWIP

·
Registered
135 Posts
I've had my barton for over 30K miles now, aside from a little smoother after "break in" it is still a solid, and precise shift where you don't need to fight like i did with the OEM unit, one thing to check periodically is make sure all of the bolts are tight and haven't backed off, at about 10K i found it did not feel right, pulled the boot and found multiple bolts loose ( i did not lock tite them when i first installed it after getting it set how i wanted it to feel. I pulled each bolt one by one added lock tite red. Zero issues since

·
Registered
78 Posts
I also have somewhere north of 25k miles with a Barton Short Shifter. At first it was super tight and clunky. I remember having to almost fight it to go from 5th to 6th because it always wanted to go to 4th. It has worn in well, though. It is super smooth and precise. No regrets whatsoever. Only thing I would warn is what was stated above about loctite. I had my lower bolt come loose on me and my short shifter turned into a super long shifter. Was not a fun drive home. But, I put a little loctite on all the threads and hand torqued them down and I have had zero issues since.

·
Super Moderator
17,238 Posts
I have preached about using (blue) thread locker on the bolts.

No one wants to have to deal with an unplanned tear down when something looses up and the wrong time.

That adapter on the shifter is aluminum and you can't just crank down the bolts and hope it stays. and over tightening can strip the threads

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the poly bushings will wear in over time - I noticed that the initial installation is was a "chunk - chunk" kind of feel with very tight / stiff bushings.

As its worn in, its smoother and there's always some play due to the single shift / select rod design for the Tremec.

I think the stiffness of brand new bushings distracts a bit from that, but there's way less than what the stock shifter would be with the deflection in the softer OEM rubber bushings.
Ok I’m probably feeling the play that has developed from the bushings wearing in. I had the internals re built after I removed it from my RT and re installed it on the ScatPack and I have nothing but great things to say about the shifter.

I’m gonna try adjusting the back bracket and see if that has any effect on it.
Thanks for the replies everyone

·
Registered
2015 Dodge Challenger SRT
874 Posts
I have my Barton short shifter installed for about 8k miles now and I’m wondering how much play develops after it’s settles in your experience ?

Occasionally when driving spiritedly and shifting into second, I feel like it’s hitting the side of the transmission cutout from the floor. I’m aware of the skip shift, but this is a different feeling.
Ok I’m probably feeling the play that has developed from the bushings wearing in. I had the internals re built after I removed it from my RT and re installed it on the ScatPack and I have nothing but great things to say about the shifter.

I’m gonna try adjusting the back bracket and see if that has any effect on it.
Thanks for the replies everyone
There's a possibility that something loosened up just enough that the shifter is hitting the side of the cutout. Especially if you started out with the shifter skewed to the driver's side.

Reactions: RIPNWIP

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's a possibility that something loosened up just enough that the shifter is hitting the side of the cutout. Especially if you started out with the shifter skewed to the driver's side.
Took apart the center console and all of the bolts are still torqued. You can see with the boot removed that the play is where the internals of the shifter and are most likely the bushings worn in. I'll post a link to a video today.

I appreciate all of the responses you guys are awesome!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts